Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Sorry, but the experts out there will probably groan at another 'no nothing newbie' but here go's. I have an XP2600+ 166FSB on a version 2.0 A7N8X-X with Crucial DDR PC3200 512K RAM. I have been experimenting at trying to overclock and frightened myself to death. I had read on another forum that it would be OK to up the FSB to 200 (Default 166) and vcore to 1.7 (Default 1.65), but when I tried to save BIOS, PC would not finish boot. It just hung and told me CPU speed was incorrect, boot was in safe mode and to reset CPU speed to correct setting. Can I safely OC my system without wetting myself and thinking I've fried something? Any advice/useful links greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Welcome to the Forums!

What cooling are you using? Please don't say "stock heatsink and fan"

You're in the right place for boosting performance on that 2600. You may have a hard time with 200, simply because the multiplier will be higher than 11. You will most likely get alot more info on the subject after my post though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Xavier1421 said:
Welcome to the Forums!

What cooling are you using? Please don't say "stock heatsink and fan"

Why did you have to say that? I bought the boxed CPU so I have the recommended AMD heat sink and fan. It sez on the box that warranty is void if I fit any other type of gear. Did I do wrong?

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
No, you didnt do wrong, but the stock heatsink and fan is only rated for 2600+...won't help you out much at higher clock speeds

There is a plethora of better heatsinks out there. By the way, as long as you dont crack the processor while installing the new heatsink, it will still be under warranty as long as you neglect to mention you overclocked it and changed the heatsink (know what I mean?) Don't throw away that stock HSF, it may come in handy one day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Xavier1421 said:
No, you didnt do wrong, but the stock heatsink and fan is only rated for 2600+...won't help you out much at higher clock speeds

Is over heat my issue then, do you think? I have a Qtech 120mm fan in the PSU and an extra case fan, but are they irrelevant, am i right in assuming that CPU sink and fan are the most important? If I improve cooling, what would be my best bet to get info on overclocking?
Thanks again

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
picklefactory said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier1421

Is over heat my issue then, do you think? I have a Qtech 120mm fan in the PSU and an extra case fan, but are they irrelevant, am i right in assuming that CPU sink and fan are the most important? If I improve cooling, what would be my best bet to get info on overclocking?
Thanks again

Best bet for info on overclocking is well, here!

For starters, that Q-Tech PSU is, to put it mildly, bollocks

RAM speed will also limit you, but heat is the biggest enemy. Try to stay below 50C on full load, ie. 100% CPU activity. To stay below 50 on stock cooling is going to be nearly impossible. Use MBM5 (google it) to monitor your temps.

Are you increasing the Vcore as you go. This is essential, as the more you ask the CPU to do, the more juice it needs to do it.

I ran a setup exactly like yours, a 2600+ Barton and an A7N8X-X. With cheap PC2700 RAM I got to 2203mHz. The settings were 192FSB and 1.675Vcore.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
picklefactory said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier1421

Thanks again

heat is the main problem in ocing . you need to start from th begginning and increase your fsb by small increments until your system becomes unstable ,use a proggy called prime to check stability , then you can start to increase your vcore and start the cycle again , you will need a good heatsink and fan to go alot higher than stock, have alook at this link http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...oolers_18.html i use the star ice and can oc to 3.9 upwards although this is a very large and heavy gadget and wont suit everyone good luck

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
X is right ... save the old HS and if you look on the bottom there should be a date which you will need to know if you ever have to warrantee the CPU!

• Rep+
Reactions: picklefactory

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've downloaded MBM5 and my CPU diode seems to be sitting between 32 and 44deg C. The Qtech PSU- don't be confused with QTEC, they are crap, I read up on loads of reviews/test sites before choosing it, it's a 350w Q Technology (QuietPC site) not QTEC and was always rated very highly and wasn't bloody cheap. My second prob (After sorting cooling) is that when I altered my FSB, the next option I had above 166 was 200, how do I up it to something in between? Is heat the reason it wouldn't let me save my BIOS and reboot?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All good advice people. thanks a lot. I will look into my cooling and I am just downloading EasyTune, so I'll see how I get on and let you know.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by picklefactory

All good advice people. thanks a lot. I will look into my cooling and I am just downloading EasyTune, so I'll see how I get on and let you know.
Cheers

In BIOS there is an option to use somthing like auto frequency, increase in XX steps (like 166 - 200), and then one that give you complete control to increase 1 at a time. Its on the same page as the FSB and Vcore info, like the 4th option down or somthing. Can't remember cos its a while since I sold mine

·
Banned
2,222 Posts
1. I wouldnt advise going over 1.8v with stock cooling on the CPU.
2. What are the rated Amps on your PSUs 12\\5\\3.3v rails? check the sticker on the PSU that'll tell you.
3. Make sure your mobo BIOS is up to date.
4. Above all else, keep the system as cool as possible! A good combo is a 120mm front and back intake, if your good at modding a case, add a 92mm top exhaust and a 80mm side intake

1 - 12 of 12 Posts