Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quite simply,Can it be done? Can you run Windows XP 64bit on a 32bit CPU???

·
Banned
3,702 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ge-Force

Quite simply,Can it be done? Can you run Windows XP 64bit on a 32bit CPU???

theres only one way to find out.. install it and try it.. if it doesnt work then you know that it doesnt work.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crashed

theres only one way to find out.. install it and try it.. if it doesnt work then you know that it doesnt work.

True...lol....but you don't think it will hurt my CPU do ya??

·
Banned
3,702 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ge-Force

True...lol....but you don't think it will hurt my CPU do ya??

no.. if anything it wont boot windows and you will have the answer to your question.

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
It wont work period...
The 64Bit OS needs specific drivers that are only supported by 64Bit hardware.

Sorry but its not even worth trying... Even us 64Bit users dont use the OS yet because of rubbish drivers. As soon as some decent drivers get sent out or modifed I will probabley put it on my 2nd HDD.

• Rep+
Reactions: Ge-Force

·
Registered
965 Posts
I dont think it would work, but even if it did, woulden't it be HORRIBLY slow, since its trying to process 64 bits of info and it can only do 32..

In my mind, it would basically make a 3ghz into a 1.5ghz...

·
Overclocking since 1998
931 Posts
Not sure why you'd want to do it even if you could. There really would be no point seeing as you only have a 32-bit processor.

Unless you don't have XP now and were hoping to try out a free copy of 64-bit XP...

·
Banned
789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeaDLocK

It wont work period...
The 64Bit OS needs specific drivers that are only supported by 64Bit hardware.

Sorry but its not even worth trying... Even us 64Bit users dont use the OS yet because of rubbish drivers. As soon as some decent drivers get sent out or modifed I will probabley put it on my 2nd HDD.

True dat... I dual boot XP32 and XP64. I never use XP64 unless I'm benching my CPU or running SuperPi. Other than that, it's a completely useless OS, mainly because they don't have compatible wifi card drivers for me yet so I can't get on the internet. I have the beta 64bit forceware and nforce chipset drivers installed and they seem to work like a top.

Other than that, nothing else is supported. Pootastic OS at best.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts