Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey again, just out of curiosity would 2 XSPC EX240's be able to sufficiently cool an i7 2600k and at least 2 7970's in CF? This question could potentially interfere with my upcoming build, so I decided to ask now. Thanks

·
Old School
1,636 Posts
The standard rule of thumb that gets tossed around a lot is 1x120 per water block, or 1x120 per block plus one extra 1x120. 2 ex240's should do just fine with a cpu and two 7970's.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Muffin Man View Post

IMO that would start to get a bit iffy. What case do u have and what are ure ambient temps?
Its for my upcoming build and I am looking to use the 690 II Advanced. The real parts I will be using will be the unreleased i7 3770k and 2 or 3 7950's in CFX. Used the 2600k and 7970's for more "headroom".

·
Old School
1,636 Posts
I'd say with 3 7950's and a cpu, 2 ex240's would be usable, but at the lower end of watercooling performance. You'll likely still beat air cooler temps, but not really by enough to justify the cost IMO.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Coming from someone who just switched from a CM 690 II Adv to a FT02, I'm going to start by saying that the CM 690 II is quite cramped to work in
smile.gif

You could even save money by going for a bigger case and a 480 rad for example.

That said, you could always opt to put an EX240 in the top, an RX240 in the bottom and an RX120 on the back.
With 3 cards, you can connect the bottom one to the RX240 with two 90° fittings.

I think the most important question is: "Is your goal silence or performance?"

·
Registered
453 Posts
Try to pick up a 2nd hand case perhaps? I got my 2nd hand 700d for a pretty good price (at least here in Australia), and has allowed me to have an ex360 and an rx240 quite easily in it
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was looking at the Caselabs M8. How many EX360 Rads would I need to at least put in the M8 to sufficiently cool the components? I am looking to get a good OC out of the cards and a high OC on the i7

·
Old School
1,636 Posts
The rule of thumb is a minimum of 120mm per water block, and you hit diminishing returns beyond ~2x120 per block. If you're doing a motherboard block, I wouldn't figure more than 1x120 for it. With a 3770k and 2 7970's, I'd go a total of 6x120. With a third gpu and a motherboard block, go with 9x120. Overkill? Possibly, but you certainly won't be limited by your cooling power.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakageta View Post

The rule of thumb is a minimum of 120mm per water block, and you hit diminishing returns beyond ~2x120 per block. If you're doing a motherboard block, I wouldn't figure more than 1x120 for it. With a 3770k and 2 7970's, I'd go a total of 6x120. With a third gpu and a motherboard block, go with 9x120. Overkill? Possibly, but you certainly won't be limited by your cooling power.
9? that seems like way too much, to me. the mobo block is negligible, don't count it. i think you had it right the first time, with 6x120

1x120 per block, +1 is a good general rule. or you can find out precisely how much heat will be generated and do the math. 110w per block is the general goal for a quiet build, and is what i strived for. i got close enough with a 360 for cpu+gpu (see sig rig.)

i'm thinking a 480 for dual gpu+cpu, that's minimum. if you go 3 gpu+cpu, then two 360s should do ya fine, just to make it easy.

maybe look into a ufo case from Mountain Mods. spacious.

·
Old School
1,636 Posts
Oh, 9 is certainly overkill, but hey, that's what we're all about on OCN...
tongue.gif
Like I said, the minimum you'd want to do is 1x120 per block. Considering he said he was going with the M8, I suggested 9x120 as I believe it conveniently mounts 360 radiators, 6x120 would certainly work, but in an expensive build like this, the extra $100 on a third radiator gives you the ability to run very low RPM fans for quieter operation, without sacrificing any cooling ability. It's all personal preference, but a 3x 7970 pc seem to me like it's all about the overkill.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Well if he does go with 9x120's just go with the ex360s, I got one myself and they are pretty great (build quality and all, cooling performance is pretty great too for the money). I picked it up for $60something?? so getting 3 of these will be cheaper than 2 of the $100 ones, and probably cool better too. And look better in the M8 case
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
10,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicodemus View Post

bakageta: i hear ya, i'm just concerned about diminishing returns for his investment in over-radding. (i just made that term up just now.
tongue.gif
=)
microman: good to know. is that GPU only?
muffin: second. i love my EX rads. amazing performance, price and quality. extremely satisfied with my purchase.
I have 2 6950's on the 240 and the 2600k and 6970 on the 360.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts