Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna pick up one of these kits to get into water cooling which do you suggest?
As far as reliability/parts quality

pumps as advertised

xspc pump is 420 L/H & 2m head pressure
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0721L8FV8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3GO5VFCNOM5I7&psc=1
Gonna cost me $195 Shipped.

ekwb pump is 450 L/H & 3.5m head pressure
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-kit-s240
Gonna cost me $250 Shipped

My system is gonna be a cpu/gpu setup if I need a extra 120 rad ill do that later.

Is the ekwb kit worth the extra 40-50$ or should the xspc pump be enough? maybe second gpu?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I would go for the EK kit simply for the pump. The Xylem DDC is far higher quality than the one in the other kit.

Not so much for the specs as both would work just fine for what you want. Just that there is a very good reason that the Xylem/Laing DDC and D5 series of pumps have become the gold standard over many years.
When EK replaced the Jingway pumps in their kits with these low power DDC it really substantially changed the balance of value in low end kits. Previously the XSPC kits were hard to beat for value.

Everyone that I know of getting the XSPC kits with this and other low cost pumps ended up spending more to replace the pump with a DDC or D5 within a year or so.

There have been several times over the years when a new pump type was heralded as the D5 and DDC killer and despite the hype and marketing spin, reality has seen the Laing pumps stay firmly at the top.

Also the EK waterblock is better in my opinion. The XSPC was the best low cost block for many years til the EK MX came along.

The only downside is the radiator. The EK slim rads have been designed to be as compact as possible and the performance suffers for it compared to the long established XSPC EX series. The differences are really only truly significant in graph form though. The real world temp difference you will see is very slight and with the high quality EK fans you can run the fans at higher speed to eliminate that difference without extra noise.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashcroft View Post

I would go for the EK kit simply for the pump. The Xylem DDC is far higher quality than the one in the other kit.

Not so much for the specs as both would work just fine for what you want. Just that there is a very good reason that the Xylem/Laing DDC and D5 series of pumps have become the gold standard over many years.
When EK replaced the Jingway pumps in their kits with these low power DDC it really substantially changed the balance of value in low end kits. Previously the XSPC kits were hard to beat for value.

Everyone that I know of getting the XSPC kits with this and other low cost pumps ended up spending more to replace the pump with a DDC or D5 within a year or so.

There have been several times over the years when a new pump type was heralded as the D5 and DDC killer and despite the hype and marketing spin, reality has seen the Laing pumps stay firmly at the top.

Also the EK waterblock is better in my opinion. The XSPC was the best low cost block for many years til the EK MX came along.

The only downside is the radiator. The EK slim rads have been designed to be as compact as possible and the performance suffers for it compared to the long established XSPC EX series. The differences are really only truly significant in graph form though. The real world temp difference you will see is very slight and with the high quality EK fans you can run the fans at higher speed to eliminate that difference without extra noise.
Appreciate the input. although I think that particular ek kit comes with the spc-60 pump not the DDC pump

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clock'd out View Post

Appreciate the input. although I think that particular ek kit comes with the spc-60 pump not the DDC pump
I knew it was the SPC-60 but I had assumed by the look of it that it was another low power DDC like they used in the predator. I'm sure at one stage the kits did have DDC's. After looking into it, the SPC is of course not a DDC and does not use the all important hemispherical design of the DDC. Thanks for pointing that out.

So yeah, I was completely wrong and take it all back. I have no idea how the SPC would compare to the ION pump series. They are both fairly new so I doubt there is much in the way of longevity reports to go on. On the positive side I haven't heard any major problems reported as can happen with new pumps, as with the VPP755 and the Koolance PMP500

That's really disappointing and I'll have to stop recommending the EK kits. I was planning on getting one for a friends birthday quite soon.

Anyways, could you stretch the budget a bit further to an L series EK kit. I'm sure after a year or two it will be money well spent. I just don't trust cheaper pump designs at all and feel the Laing pumps are genius bits of kit that we are lucky to have.

Dazmode has a video talking about the different RMA rates he had with pumps that was very illuminating

1 - 6 of 6 Posts