Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
A team of Chinese physicists have clocked the speed of spooky action at a distance - the seemingly instantaneous interaction between entangled quantum particles - at more than four orders of magnitude faster than light. Their equipment and methodology doesn't allow for an exact speed, but four orders of magnitude puts the figure at around 3 trillion meters per second.

Spooky action at a distance was a term coined by Einstein to describe how entangled quantum particles seem to interact with each other instantaneously, over any distance, breaking the speed of light and thus relativity. As of our current understanding of quantum mechanics, though, it is impossible to send data using quantum entanglement, preserving the theory of relativity. A lot of work is being done in this area, though, and some physicists believe that faster-than-light communication might be possible with some clever manipulation of entangled particles.
Source

·
Registered
648 Posts
"Their equipment and methodology doesn't allow for exact speed calculation"
This means that it could be instantaneous, but because of the inefficiency of their experiment, they're just registering it at some arbitrary value based on their equipment. If Entanglement actually did have travel time, it would violate QM since QM predicts that it is in fact instantaneous. Imagine if you had two entangled particles spanned across the distance of the universe. Even at 10,000 times the speed of light, it would still take a very long time to get from point A to Point B; my point is that what if something collapsed the entanglement state at both ends at the same time so that they had a set spin? Two "signals" traveling at that speed would reach the particles which had already been changed, and you could know the before and after state(after state meaning when the signal has reached the entangled particle). And thus, based on the difference of time the states changed, (for example one or two microseconds), you could send information faster than FTL in the form of zeroes and ones, which violates relativity and QM. If this is true both theories are wrong, and that is a massive claim.

·
Premium Member
7,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serp777 View Post

"Their equipment and methodology doesn't allow for exact speed calculation"
This means that it could be instantaneous, but because of the inefficiency of their experiment, they're just registering it at some arbitrary value based on their equipment.
They say exactly that
Quote:
we know that spooky action at a distance has a lower bound of four orders of magnitude faster than light, or around 3 trillion meters per second. We say "at least," because the physicists do not rule out that spooky action is actually instantaneous - but their testing equipment and methodology simply doesn't allow them to get any more accurate.
And it isn't an arbitrary value, it is a lower bound that they were able to establish with their setup.

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
if data can go faster than light,m than so can I

·
Registered
516 Posts
I like it when these complex are presented here and all of a sudden these threads are flooded with "experts"
arrowheadsmiley.png

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Rudy Schild calculated the speed of quantum entanglement to be c squared almost a decade ago now. The only news here is that we have physical evidence of something the math has told us for quite some time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
" Einstein's action at a distance: 10,000 times faster than light "

I am disappoint. Thought this was going to be warp drive thread
frown.gif

tongue.gif

I'd rather believe it is not instantaneous and is something that actually travels at over the speed of light, because that makes star trek concepts ( their obviously faster than light communication for example...) more possible xD

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MintMouse View Post

I don't get the word instantaneous. Is time absolute? It happens at the same time in all frames of reference?
I would imagine that it means something like "Events occur in the same order regardless of the reference frame." Just an educated guess though.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanGoo View Post

frown.gif

tongue.gif

I'd rather believe it is not instantaneous and is something that actually travels at over the speed of light, because that makes star trek concepts ( their obviously faster than light communication for example...) more possible xD
I am of the opinion that quantum entanglement will in time be used for FTL travel. While not instantaneous c squared is a ludicrously fast speed, much faster than Star Trek's warp speeds. It would also likely require much less energy than warp technology.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Would be cool if they integrated this with a proper transporting device.

·
Premium Member
2,463 Posts
No information can be transferred faster than light. That violates causality.

It's not "teleportation" it's an entirely different phenomenon.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanGoo View Post

frown.gif

tongue.gif

Think Enders game
tongue.gif

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Pretty cool.

Although I'm not 100% sure this violates the light-speed law. Quantum entanglement =//= moving matter. While the information may be traveling at FTL speeds, it's via some crazy quantum method. That operates at a much higher level (11th dimension, in theory, anyway). As 4-dimensional beings, we see 11th dimensional movement as much, much faster than it is if viewing from the 11th dimension. Etc -> frame of reference. While this allows information to move, it still doesn't allow for matter to move from one location to another at FTL speeds... so no FTL drives
frown.gif

Note: NOT an expert on the subject.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomlord52 View Post

Pretty cool.

Although I'm not 100% sure this violates the light-speed law. Quantum entanglement =//= moving matter. While the information may be traveling at FTL speeds, it's via some crazy quantum method. That operates at a much higher level (11th dimension, in theory, anyway). As 4-dimensional beings, we see 11th dimensional movement as much, much faster than it is if viewing from the 11th dimension. Etc -> frame of reference. While this allows information to move, it still doesn't allow for matter to move from one location to another at FTL speeds... so no FTL drives
frown.gif
Kind of. As far as the universe is concerned, the particle and the data are already in both places at the same time. The speed of quantum entanglement is more of a measurement of how long it takes for changes in one particle to actually reach the other particle, or of how long it takes to swap those particles for each other. Similarly, if one were to be able to transfer the information of the state of matter that surrounds that particle (think of a particle inside the metal hull of a vessel) when one swaps the particles, one could in theory teleport the entire piece of matter. As far as the universe is concerned, the piece of matter is already there since one entangled co-particle of it is already there. The "speed" is just the rate at which reality matches the universe's/particle's perception. When you realize how small these particles are, a sufficiently large vessel should be able to go anywhere, as it will have entangled particles literally all over the place. Also, it is activation of the entanglement engine that requires energy, as opposed to the actual transport. The nature of the universe provides the propagation.
While much of this is the realm of science fiction, Michio Kaku would have laughed at you if you had suggested it was possible to teleport atomic scale particles any distance, yet now we can teleport cesium atoms across the Danube River. I am convinced that an understanding of the quantum nature of the universe will lead to a method of FTL travel that does not experience relativistic time distortion.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts