Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Last week we reported on the new series of high performance 120mm fans from EK waterblocks, dubbed Vardar [1]. Today we take a first look at one of the pre-production samples of the Vardar F4. Thanks to EK for providing the sample
The packaging is finalized and tells you exactly what fan it is (the F4 in this case) and also the maximum fan RPM. On the back we get tech specs and also the P-Q curve which, as others have seen, is similar to that of the respective Gentle Typhoon fan.

Nothing new on the side, and we see the contribution from Slovenia and the manufacturing company in China listed out here.

As we said this is a pre-production sample, and so there was only the fan in here. The final versions should come with 4 self-tapping screws and a few other cosmetic improvements.

We believe the heatshrink is getting a makeover and the label on the back of the hub will be done, and there has been no confirmation on the sleeving material as of yet. This is a

Source
http://www.xtremerigs.net/2014/12/03/first-look-testing-ekwb-vardar-fans/

More info
Quote:
SKU. Fan Speed. PWM Duty Cycle. Loudness [dBA]
EK-Vardar F1-120 (1150rpm) 1150 60-100 23.7
EK-Vardar F2-120 (1450rpm) 1450 50-100 25.6
EK-Vardar F3-120 (1850rpm) 1850 50-100 29.5
EK-Vardar F4-120 (2200rpm) 2200 40-100 33.5
EK-VardarFF5-120 (3000rpm) 3000 40-100 42

"We have given ourselves a difficult task of designing a fan with unmatched p/Q characteristics while maintaining favorable noise profile", said Niko Tivadar, Product Manager at EK Water Blocks, "Vardar has set a new standard for others to look up to."

The new fans will be available for purchase through EK Webshop and Partner Reseller Network in first half of January 2015 with limited quantity available in mid December 2014. For customized and OEM parts please inquire for quotation.

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
Quote:
Testing was done with the fan mounted on a single Swiftech MCR120QP radiator, with the fan controlled using a PWM controller (Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 XT). The controller also enabled RPM readout. Linear airflow was measured using an Extech 45158 Thermo-Anemometer 6″ away from the fan such that it measured the airflow in feet per minute through the radiator. Fan noise was measured in an anechoic chamber of size 5′ x 8′ with a sound probe held 6″ away to measure the sound volume in dBA accordingly.
Not so sure about the airflow testing methods... I'll believe the claims once Martin and others get their hands on these fans

I've heard the same claim from other companies before, and nothing has dethroned the Gentle Typhoon yet.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemoose View Post

Not so sure about the airflow testing methods... I'll believe the claims once Martin and others get their hands on these fans

I've heard the same claim from other companies before, and nothing has dethroned the Gentle Typhoon yet.
The eloop did

·
Premium Member
12,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemoose View Post

Quote:
Testing was done with the fan mounted on a single Swiftech MCR120QP radiator, with the fan controlled using a PWM controller (Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 XT). The controller also enabled RPM readout. Linear airflow was measured using an Extech 45158 Thermo-Anemometer 6″ away from the fan such that it measured the airflow in feet per minute through the radiator. Fan noise was measured in an anechoic chamber of size 5′ x 8′ with a sound probe held 6″ away to measure the sound volume in dBA accordingly.

I could be mistaken but I believe Martin has retired for the time being.

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by derickwm View Post

I could be mistaken but I believe Martin has retired for the time being.
then can someone confirm that about @martinm210

And if he has retired well can someone tell to @ehume to test them
tongue.gif
Martin last posted any testing results more than 2 1/2 years ago ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post

I have made my decision to retire, but I'll see what I can do about retaining the old data up for a while.
thumb.gif
And yeah, Geggeg's VSG's airflow testing yielded results so different from Martin's that I don't put much of any value on them. I pointed out the vast difference between his findings and Martin's for the AP-45 and Swiftech Helix fans and we had some discussion about that starting here (and Martin's tests were captured on video so you can see / hear for yourself - kind of indisputable).

I think VSG was taking a look at Martin's flow chamber and perhaps he will update his testing procedures. Until then, no, I can't trust anything useful about these fans if using the same testing procedures didn't find a HUGE difference between the Swiftech Helix and GT AP-45 like Martin's testing did.

OMG! I just noticed that VSG went back and removed the Swiftech Helix fan results from his test graphs and replaced them with eLoop results. I wonder why he did that? Was it in response to my pointing out the differences between his testing results and Martin's and posting pics from Martin's vids as evidence? I don't know but that's sure what it seems like. Still, his findings are also just as out of whack on the eLoop from Martin's testing.

·
Call me VSG
12,870 Posts
I explained why I took out the Helix results in that thread, it wasn't a single fan on a single 120mm radiator. I am not exactly sure where my eLoop results are "just as out of whack" from Martin's testing to be honest. My noise level data is from a calibrated sound lab in a small anechoic chamber so I trust that more than what Martin got, whereas his airflow numbers are from a more controllable flow chamber so his flow numbers may well be more accurate. But even so I thought the relative difference between AP-45 and B12-4 was similar if you go ahead and look at the results on his video and translate them to numbers.

·
Premium Member
4,140 Posts
Yep, it's a conspiracy Unicron, and you exposed it.

I know everyone asks for different things, and the airflow to noise graphs are valuable but I would like to see the air flow to rpm graphs like you had before ... Overlayed comparative ones I mean Stren.

·
Premium Member
4,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geggeg View Post

Stren is half way back to his motherland by now, but I can get you those graphs if they end up being any useful
rolleyes.gif
lol

Sorry VSG I dunno what happened there ... I/O brain clash maybe.

They would be interesting to me at least anyway.
On a similar note I have a feeling, but seeing as I haven't tried it yet, it's just that ... But I think air flow and even more so air volume testing through rads may be the most difficult testing to get right.
As an example I can't reconcile the huge differences between some of Martin's testing and that of coolingtechnique, the French site that used a very similar test environment.
It's the easiest thing in the world to just be critical of testing or label one as better than the other but the more I do and look at others closely the more it drives home that comparing results is fraught with problems. Each needs to be viewed as only a comparison between the examples in each test and not from test to test.

Having said that I see nothing very different between yours and Martin's results on the difference between Eloops and GT's

·
Call me VSG
12,870 Posts
Yeah man, we had this discussion in the other thread also. So many variables all the time that I really don't know what's the best way to translate across tests, if there is one. A trend would be nice, say relative change, but that's again assuming everything is perfect. I am the first person to admit the anemone held 6" away from the fan isn't the best way to measure airflow, but then again if you look at the 103 fan roundup done by Hardware Info last week, there are some numbers and testing methodology choices that make me scratch my head. Perhaps continuing to scratch till the right area of the brain is hit will help me figure out a potential solution, but as of now a lot of space and material cost is not something I can afford for a fun hobby like this.

·
Premium Member
4,140 Posts
None of my post was meant as criticism, but rather a defense. All testing is valuable and yours seems to receive more effort than most.

I am tempted to lay out a couple grand on test gear all the time but just could not justify it.
I did get a king instrument flow meter for accurately setting up my flow sensors cause that was satisfying though
smile.gif

·
Call me VSG
12,870 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles3000 View Post

I seem to be getting a malware warning on the source site, false positive?

That IP address in your screenshot isn't the IP of the xtremerigs.net source site linked in the OP, at least not even close using several different domain search tools (like here). I don't get that warning when I go to the link, but I do see that warning if I search that IP address you have listed in your screen. I would suspect some sort of malware you already have on your machine may be redirecting your browser.

·
Meep
5,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicr0nhunter View Post

That IP address in your screenshot isn't the IP of the xtremerigs.net source site linked in the OP, at least not even close using several different domain search tools (like here). I don't get that warning when I go to the link, but I do see that warning if I search that IP address you have listed in your screen. I would suspect some sort of malware you already have on your machine may be redirecting your browser.
I get it whenever accessing xtremerigs.net, but I guess its safe to assume its a false positive from what VSG said.

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
After looking at it further I see now that NoScript is blocking that IP address from your screen for me site-wide on xtremerigs.net, so that Bangkok Thai IP is associated with the site and that's why I'm not getting that warning. Honestly I wouldn't assume that it's a false warning at all that the domain listed is safe. Then again, I don't worry so much about such things since I wouldn't even consider using a browser without NoScript to block any/all executable content on a webpage to run unless I specifically allow it to.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.