Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://tech.yahoo.com/news/afp/20090...nologyinternet

Quote:
LONDON (AFP) - US software giant Google said Friday it had removed several images from its Street View software, which allows web surfers to view parts of 25 British cities, after users raised privacy concerns.

Street View displays 360-degree ground-level images captured by roaming cars using digital photography equipment.

The cars began taking images last summer, and continue to capture images across the country, allowing the service to expand after its launch here on Thursday.

Just 24 hours after its release in Britain, however, Google said it had removed several pictures, including ones that users found embarrassing, such as one of a man leaving a sex shop in central London's Soho neighbourhood, or another one of a man vomiting outside a pub in the east of the British capital.

A spokeswoman for the American Internet company declined to confirm the precise number of photos that were removed, but said it had been "less than expected."

Individual Internet users who do not want either their image or that of their home to be used in Street View can request it be taken off Google's database by filling out an online form.

Google says it has developed sophisticated software that ensures that individual's faces and vehicle license plates are blurred.

After initially being launched in the United States in May 2007, Street View is now available in Britain, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, France, Spain, Italy and the Netherlands.

·
Banned
10,581 Posts
Quote:
Individual Internet users who do not want either their image or that of their home to be used in Street View can request it be taken off Google's database by filling out an online form.
That's decent, actually. Kinda boils down to respect, imo.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by d3v0
View Post

sad

Very good contribution...

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sizeak
View Post

Very good contribution...

Says the guy who give no opinion whatsoever haha. Here ya go:

The google street view was an effective tool for navigating unfamiliar city streets for me, and due to some butthurt deviants they are going to close it entirely? Settling the lawsuit quietly would have been a better choice in my opinion, at least for the general public. I mean honestly, the chances of catching someone you know doing something indecent on a google camera is such a rare white elk that it hardly should even be a problem.

Edit: The above post was made after misreading the info

·
Registered
56 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by d3v0
View Post

Says the guy who give no opinion whatsoever haha. Here ya go:

The google street view was an effective tool for navigating unfamiliar city streets for me, and due to some butthurt deviants they are going to close it entirely?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the article mentions nothing of closing it entirely, only of removing the offending images...

·
Premium Member
8,509 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,939 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Take a look at this shot;

Link (link is to a google street view image)

All I can say is what the hell did they capture?
lol

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
seeing as how the UK is becoming more big brother like all the time, with more and more cameras in the US as well, wouoldnt everyone give the excuse, if you're ever out in public you're making yourself seen and shouldnt expect any privacy? I understand the pictures of houses, but walking out of a sex shop is your own damn fault. buy online or something.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.