Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently the millions of gallons of highly toxic oil dispersants are showing up after all...sigh.

Or not?

Check out this plausible alternative to yet another "Damn BP" festical

Quote:

Originally Posted by h00chi3 View Post
Since I am in Louisiana, and this was on the news this morning, I will pass on what really happened.

It is not from oil dispersant.

A large group of fish, rays, molusks were in this area, being diverted due to dredging. As the tide went out, the fish, rays, and molusks were trapped in the small area. The water heated up, since it was 98°F and the oxygen was depleated from the water, thus killing all the fish.

There was a the exact picture, as well as video. To confirm this, they even had a tree hugging hippie scientist that cares about animals and plants, that confirmed this, because he was mad and wanted to cry at the oil company but couldn't.

Fail news is epic news.
Here is a link to an article in the LA Times the H00ch dug up. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/gree...louisiana.html

SOURCE

Quote:

What you see above isn't a rural gravel road. It's a Louisiana waterway, its surface completely covered with dead sea life -- a mishmash of species of fish, crabs, stingray and eel. New Orleans CBS affiliate WWL-TV reports that even a whale was found dead in the area.

·
Iconoclast
30,422 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Munkypoo7 View Post
It's the Exxon Valdez all over again...
It's likely quite a bit worse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberDruid View Post
Worse. Exxon didn't use nearly as much dispersant.
And didn't spill as much oil.

·
Premium Member
7,941 Posts
LMAO, by the title, I thought that there was a monster fish which was going around killing fishermen in Louisiana. At least that is the information I initially got when reading the title.

·
Banned
2,207 Posts
Wow, My fathers whole side is from Louisiana.
This is absolutely disturbing, it makes me want to puke.
I literally thought that was a road.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxicrimsonixx View Post
LMAO, by the title, I thought that there was a monster fish which was going around killing fishermen in Louisiana. At least that is the information I initially got when reading the title.
only time will tell when the mutated monster fish will rise.

----------------
And they said the dispersant were "safe" ....

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
So who wants some Red Lobster? Chef special is fish fresh from Louisiana....

*sigh*

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I don't see any proof that this happened due to this "dispersant." Can someone quote where it says this?

·
PC Gaming Master Race
10,086 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CapDubOh View Post
I don't see any proof that this happened due to this "dispersant." Can someone quote where it says this?
... What else could have possibly killed enough fish to make the river look like pavement?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stealth Pyros View Post
... What else could have possibly killed enough fish to make the river look like pavement?
Dead zone due to lack of oxygen.

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

Still potentially caused by the spill.

That picture makes me so sad.

Quote:
Many scientists have feared that an influx of oil-eating microbes would lead to more Gulf Coast dead zones, since the microbes use large amounts of oxygen when they consume the oil particles produced by chemical dispersants.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

So then the next question would be, what's in the water that is using the oxygen on a massive scale like that?

1 - 20 of 132 Posts