Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SOURCE

Quote:
Obama administration officials said during a second summit on distracted driving that it had made progress in pushing states to target drivers who send text messages and use mobile devices from the road, but too many people are being killed because of inattentive motorists.
About time. I almost get killed by people on their devices everytime I ride.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
i say an outright ban on text messaging is the best idea

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashbulb View Post
Screw that. I don't want to have to call people. Calling people sucks. Just ban cellphone use in cars.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Design cars so that signals cannot be received while in the car. I'm sure they could set up some kind of Faraday cage type device to block phone signals.

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
Speech to text with bluetooth...there is no problem with this. All they need to do is enhance the features of speech to text and speech to action capabilities of cars. Many of the later year model cars have it already.

There are already companies that are doing after market addons for executives...there just needs to be a governmental push/initiative to get this done cheaply and out to the masses.

EDIT: Example with my Droid I can hit 1 button reply and talk into my phone and hit another button to send the message. Enhance this by voice activating the reply and send command and its completely hands free. We can already do a 1 push button "Call Sara" in our cars. Then you need a "Navigate to Mall"....what else do you really need in the car?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowclock View Post
Speech to text with bluetooth...there is no problem with this. All they need to do is enhance the features of speech to text and speech to action capabilities of cars. Many of the later year model cars have it already.
That won't help the fact that talking on the phone while driving is distracting in itself. MythBuster did a test awhile ago as well there are studies.

Autonomous cars would solve the problem though!

Then again.... we would then have to eventually deal with the issue of sentient cars killing people...

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I have a Ford equipped with SYNC and really like the ability to place and receive calls hands-free. I'm familiar with the Mythbusters episode and agree with their conclusion that hands-free devices are also distracting but how far can you take that principle? I would argue that using such a device is no less distracting than having a conversation with a passenger.

The real danger comes from the drivers that choose to interact with their devices while operating a vehicle. Text messaging is probably the most common and most severe offense. In that situation the driver is actually directing their attention down and away from the road where even peripheral vision is likely limited. Add to that the certain level of concentration it requires to compose a message and then send to a recipient.

Even if you're good and can manage to plot down "what's up" in 5 seconds you just piloted a 3500lb vehicle blind for over 500ft if traveling at 70mph. If a car ahead of you stops abruptly or a pedestrian steps into the road your odds of avoiding troubles are severely worsened.

Personally I hate text messaging. What was originally a convenient way to send someone small bits of information without interrupting them has, for some, become a substitution for human interaction. To think that some people feel the need to text so much that they are willing to endanger the life of another human being. There shouldn't be a need for a summit to even discuss this topic since for the most part it should be common sense.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
hand's free calling is the way to go. I always use a bluetooth headset in the car if I have to make a call. Although it can be distracting, it's as distracting as talking to someone right next to you in my opinion and you can`t stop the driver from talking to the passenger.

Another thing I`ve seen is people smoking in standard cars. You NEED two hands to drive standard. I would ban that before banning hands free talking.

All in all, cellphones without hands free devices have no place in a car (if the driver is using it)

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MNiceGuy View Post
I have a Ford equipped with SYNC and really like the ability to place and receive calls hands-free. I'm familiar with the Mythbusters episode and agree with their conclusion that hands-free devices are also distracting but how far can you take that principle? I would argue that using such a device is no less distracting than having a conversation with a passenger.
I agree... it does depend on the operator. Have a conversation with a passenger can be less distracting as there is body language, visual cues, and mutual vision. (i.e. You both see some crazy driver ahead and both pause the conversation without verbally communicating the pause.)

Then again.... Passenger goes "LOOK AT THAT OVER THERE!". Driver turns head... and hands to follow.... those people...

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Benladesh View Post
hand's free calling is the way to go. I always use a bluetooth headset in the car if I have to make a call. Although it can be distracting, it's as distracting as talking to someone right next to you in my opinion and you can`t stop the driver from talking to the passenger.

Another thing I`ve seen is people smoking in standard cars. You NEED two hands to drive standard. I would ban that before banning hands free talking.

All in all, cellphones without hands free devices have no place in a car (if the driver is using it)
By standard cars I'm assuming you mean manual transmission? I've had many standard cars over the years and I am also ashamed to admit I'm a smoker. I can't say that I've ever felt I'm compromising the control of my vehicle.

·
Premium Member
4,011 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by weidass View Post
Design cars so that signals cannot be received while in the car. I'm sure they could set up some kind of Faraday cage type device to block phone signals.
Wonderful idea!

Not.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Liability View Post
Wonderful idea!

Not.
why not? you clearly have never had to deal with idiots on the phone nearly knocking you off. Car drivers just don't see bikers, and being distracted further by phones is more likely to end up with me getting killed.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
i say an outright ban on cell phones is the best idea.

·
Premium Member
5,306 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
That won't help the fact that talking on the phone while driving is distracting in itself. MythBuster did a test awhile ago as well there are studies.
But I don't remember them attempting the test with hands-free phones.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MNiceGuy View Post
Even if you're good and can manage to plot down "what's up" in 5 seconds you just piloted a 3500lb vehicle blind for over 500ft if traveling at 70mph. If a car ahead of you stops abruptly or a pedestrian steps into the road your odds of avoiding troubles are severely worsened.
Why are there pedestrians on a road where the speed limit is 70? *avoids entire point*

·
Banned
332 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Liability View Post
Wonderful idea!

Not.
you say that untill you're Tboned by a 16 year old kid who was talking on his phone, and blew through a red light because he just didn't realise the light was red. DIdn't occur to that kid he shoudl stop, because hes stupid and all his brainpower goes into making up stuff to say on a phone. You'll care even more when you realise your 6 month old $100,000 benz just got trashed by that kid.

True story, I ****ing hate people who talk on phones while driving. And my business is run by a phone

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashbulb View Post
Agreed, though I'd be fine going back to the days when you only got charged for out-going text messages, and incoming ones were free...

I'm all for less-distracted drivers. Or perhaps more advanced humans capable of doing more than one thing at a time and not being stupid. But for now, I would say that cell phone usage while driving is a definite issue.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts