Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Banned
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
From the moment that I found out my wife was pregnant with our first child, a son, I've thought of his development in terms of tech. When pregnancy sites described our six-week-old fetus as the size of a "lentil," I referred to him as the length of an RFID chip. When the doctor said he had reached 1.3 pounds, I told all my friends that my son was the size of an iPad. When he was born this week, he was about the size of an HP Envy 15, though unfortunately his cries did not use Beats Audio.

As my newborn son grows to match the size of a mid-tower desktop, a large-screen TV and eventually a server rack, I can't help but think about all the gadgets he won't even remember using that were so important to his dad. I'm not talking about long dead-and-buried technologies such as the VHS recorder or the 35mm camera. Rather, I'm thinking about devices and concepts most of us use today that will fall out of mainstream use so soon that he either won't remember them, or will only have very hazy memories of having lived with them.
Source

A fun little article. Discuss.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
50% of the things on there will still be around, it is really hard for me to trust what yahoo says and talks about.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by downlinx View Post

50% of the things on there will still be around, it is really hard for me to trust what yahoo says and talks about.
It's not Yahoo, they are just posting it I believe.

Top of article:
By Avram Piltch, Laptopmag.com | LiveScience.com - Sun, May 13, 2012

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Quote:
though unfortunately his cries did not use Beats Audio.
UNFORTUNATELY? You don't want babies crying with added bass!

·
Registered
752 Posts
No way movie theaters are going anywhere any time soon. I agree the prices are outrageous, but unless On Demand actually starts carrying decent in theater movies, I'll be going to the theater. But good luck trying to get movie companies to buy into the idea that the movie should be available right from home for $7 total, instead of $15 per person. The Avengers is making going to make over a billion dollars, if it isn't there already, I don't see how this guy seems to think that studios are going to let Comcast or some cable company put it On Demand for $7.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Wired Home Internet, Dedicated Cameras and Camcorders, Movie Theaters, The Mouse, Remote Controls, Desktops, Slow-Booting Computers, and Phone Numbers. I think we have a while untill we get rid of these. I was wondering what might give this guy credibility and read the top "By Avram Piltch, Laptopmag.com " then thought back to him saying no more Desktops
doh.gif

·
Read Only
10,321 Posts
I can agree with most except...

1. Wired home internet. With things such as Thunderbolt which can transfer files at extremely high speeds, ISPs (satellite won't be reliable during solar storms because they probably will be turned off to prevent damage), etc.

2. Dedicated Cameras and Camcorders. I can definitely say camcorders will probably die off, but not dedicated cameras. Unless smartphones and other devices with cameras in it can reach match the performance of DSLRs in their time, I doubt it.

3. Desktop. I wasn't sure if they were serious.

·
Meow!
8,487 Posts
Mouse - It will lives on forever due we are still have the majority of gamers. Motion sensor... no it's not possible in some games and there are still need a controller for it.

Desktop - Same idea, custom PC will lives on probably not retail pre-made PC. Which is why most retail are leaning into tablets and ultrabook now.

Anything allows room for custom made or built will last because there are always people who wants it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
movie theaters sells an "experience" ...there will always be demands for this experience.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfbilly11 View Post

No way movie theaters are going anywhere any time soon. I agree the prices are outrageous, but unless On Demand actually starts carrying decent in theater movies, I'll be going to the theater. But good luck trying to get movie companies to buy into the idea that the movie should be available right from home for $7 total, instead of $15 per person. The Avengers is making going to make over a billion dollars, if it isn't there already, I don't see how this guy seems to think that studios are going to let Comcast or some cable company put it On Demand for $7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by triarii3 View Post

movie theaters sells an "experience" ...there will always be demands for this experience.
Exactly. If there's one thing The Avengers taught us, it's that people will still pay to go see a good movie at a theater. They're not going away anytime soon.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Sounds more like a lot of wishful thinking then what will likely actually happen withing the next 10-15 years

Wireless had a long way to go, both in scope of service and not having bandwidth caps/throtlling

Movie theaters will still be around but I can see a lot of them closing down. Your run of the mill big brand chain Regal or whatever deserves to die, but I know in this area the higher end theaters have actually been growing.

·
Banned
79 Posts
Quote:
broadband providers are going to realize that giving everyone home antennas is more scalable than wiring and maintaining each street's network of fiber-optic cables. At that point, the paradigm will shift and it will be cheaper to purchase wireless than wired Internet.
lolno

·
Registered
129 Posts
Who the heck is as tall as a 42U server rack? Not to mention as wide...

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Two things I personally disagree with: The wired home internet and a mouse.

Mouse: there are a certain amount of things that your fingers can't do that your mouse can. It's WAY more precise, to begin with.
Wired Home Internet: I think you can't get around the problem that mirrors, walls and such things will always block your wireless home internet by a certain amount, so I will probably always prefer wired.
Just my own take on these things.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
1,2,5,8,10, 11 LOL, 12, & 14 will still be around. And maybe HDDs.... there are still places that use tapes to record data. Scientists say it looks like this:

Fax machines.. they should've died off a long time ago, but the idiots with power didn't trust email and other ways of transfering scanned documents. I have to use one at work occasionally.... i'm like WHAT DO I DO!? Fax & pagers are some of the few techs that are beyond me.
tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
1.Wired Home Internet - Wrong, currently the fastest internet availble is wired Internet and the companies that control those networks have dumped a lot of money into them. We will see wired networks for a LONG time yet.

2.Dedicated Cameras and Camcorders - Wrong. As long as there is a demand for higher performance cameras they will be offered on the market.

3.Landline Phones - This is probably correct

4. Slow Booting computers - Relative, modern computers already boot pretty quickly, flash storage right now provides the fastest boot times. This is basically saying computers will get faster. Well duh.

5.Windowed Operating Systems - I think this is a little premature as desktops and laptops are not going anywhere and a Windowed OS is still best in those scenarios. Mobile is a fast growth industy but it remains to be seen how long that growth will be sustained and if they will ever dethrone desktops and laptops as people's primary workstations and entertainment hubs.

6.Hard Drives - Wrong again. Hard drives have a lot of life left in them and current problems with scaling flash chips smaller than they already are will hinder truly affordable large SSD's. In 18 years there will still be plenty of mechanical hard drives on the market.

7. Movie Theaters - Please, sooo wrong. Theaters continue to perform well and movies continue to make big bucks at the box office. I don't care if you own a sweet surround sound setup and a 60", 1080p, 3D plasma TV, it doesn't compare to a huge screen and 20+ speakers at your local theater.

8.The Mouse - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

9. 3D Glasses - One can only hope. I'm no fan of 3d but currently the glasses are half of the problem. I know they are working on other technologies that are glasses free but I still don't know if 3d will ever become the primary viewing format across the globe.

10. Remote Controls - Will remotes go away in the next 18 years? Doubtful. Will we see other control mechanisms in the meantime? Sure.

11. Desktops - Another laughable prediction made b/c of the huge growth mobile has seen. Well mobile is new, so of course growth has bee high. As the market becomes saturated we'll see growth sputter out. Desktops continue to this day because they are faster, cheaper, and have the best ergonomics.

12. Phone Numbers - Perhaps, but not in the time frame they are talking about. They said a child born today will never use a phone number? Come on.

13. Prime-time Television - This is going to happen, it is just a matter of when.

14. Fax Machines - I am a little skeptical of this only because faxes are still pervasive in the business world. Time will tell.

15. Optical Discs - This is probably the safest prediction of the bunch.

Overall I think the article gets a lot wrong.

• Rep+
Reactions: spud84
1 - 20 of 58 Posts