Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Graphics Junkie
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As promised, Microsoft is officially releasing its Chromium-based Edge browser today, which is powered by the same engine that's behind Google Chrome. Windows and Mac users can download and install the update manually, and automatic updates will start rolling out for Windows users next week. IT admins can rest easy though, as Microsoft isn't automatically upgrading commercial customers through Windows Update.

As we've covered in earlier previews of the next-generation Edge browser, you can look forward to significantly faster browsing performance, better overall security, and a slew of helpful new features, like an Internet Explorer mode for compatibility with older web apps.
Source: https://news.yahoo.com/2020-01-15-microsoft-chromium-edge-launch-window-mac.html

Microsoft Download link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge?icid=SMC-IA-4501095

If you can't beat em, join em.

Note; if you install this it will replace Edge. It will not be a separate browser.

·
sudo apt install sl
7,351 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
How will this work for 4k Netflix?

Sent from my GM1910 using Tapatalk

·
mfw
8,654 Posts
I want to give it a try, but I couldn't find ScriptSafe or any analog on the store. Guess I'll wait for now...

·
Graphics Junkie
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Not a linux lobbyist
2,320 Posts
I just tried it, Windows is keeping both versions for me. Translator isn't working for the new sockpupppet logo one though. uBlock origin and some youtubedownloader I forgot I had were auto installed and uBlock origin works.
So far almost no difference.

Edit: I like the new settings menu better, opens in a new tab and is layed out for faster access.

·
Overclocker in training
13,115 Posts
Hi,
Funny you get this info from Yahoo thought they died ?

·
Not a linux lobbyist
2,320 Posts
I still have a 20something year old email address with them, that still works.

Edit: Just did a screenshot comparing ram since I've heard bad things about chrome in that regard. It looks like the chrome version is running a little better with video, but used more when I just had one site up.

Attachments

·
Graphics Junkie
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,
Funny you get this info from Yahoo thought they died ?
Haha yea. I saw it on techspot initially but then I googled it to find a more concise article and when Yahoo came up, I thought it would be funny to cite them.

·
Overclocker in training
13,115 Posts
Haha yea. I saw it on techspot initially but then I googled it to find a more concise article and when Yahoo came up, I thought it would be funny to cite them.
Hi,
Yeah I thought Verizon killed most of Yahoo's spam/ malware servers after they finally bought them out
Anyway thanks for the giggle :D

·
I <3 narcissists
6,243 Posts
They merged my two least favorite browsers (chrome and edge) and gave it a compatibility mode for my third least favorite browser (IE). I think this gets a solid pass from me.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Extremely love the tiny memory footprint (less than Chrome and Firefox).

·
Registered
845 Posts
Suppose the next generation needs to experience their own IE melodrama.

·
Politically incorrect
9,229 Posts
Wonderful, it's good to know that there's yet another browser I can ignore.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
They merged my two least favorite browsers (chrome and edge) and gave it a compatibility mode for my third least favorite browser (IE). I think this gets a solid pass from me.
This is so true.

I use Chrome at work purely for the on-the-fly translation function. But I really don't want to. Everywhere I can I used Firefox, Waterfox or Brave (although Brave is now also chromium engined and I grow increasingly frustrated with it...)

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,091 Posts
So basically the only real game left in town is Firefox.

There's a few "de-Googled" Chromium based browsers but there's debate as to how de-Googled they actually are, consensus is there is still some Google in them.

All other Firefox based browsers have too small of a user base that you basically get uniquely browser fingerprinted and tracked across sites, same applies for the Chromium derivatives.

So it's either Firefox or Tor Browser. I've been using TBB as a daily driver for over a year now, if you take TBB and disable the Tor network (and say make it use a VPN instead) it's basically a really souped up and hardened Firefox that works really well.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Why are people still crying about ram in 2020? Is there some kind of shortage of ram?

·
AMD Acolyte
1,616 Posts
Use more ram if it makes browsing faster! I just wish these browsers would get better session managers built in. 10 years ago I used Opera and was able to save windows as a session so I could come back to them later. When you can name,save, and load multiple sessions any time you want, you don't really need to have 40+ tabs open at once anymore.

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,091 Posts
Why are people still crying about ram in 2020? Is there some kind of shortage of ram?
tl;didn't watch

It's a sign of crappy programing. There's websites that haven't changed at all since 98 and you could view them perfectly on Netscape navigator using 512mb of ram and yet viewing that same site today that hasn't changed on a "modern" browser is using 2gb+ of ram.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts