Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the heck is the difference?? haha

I can see the 3 American ones being more appealing because of warranty issues but aside from that are these all the same panels in different cases?

I am leaning towards the Auria from Micro Center just because it is available now (Monoprice and Overlord are both sold out) and because I am a little put off about importing a monitor from China, just in case something goes wrong with it...

Can anyone else provide info on these monitors, are any superior or inferior?

·
RGBKB.net
2,460 Posts
To be simple: They all have the same panel and these are the things you want to look for:
[Dead/Stuck Pixel warranty]
[The stand]
[multiport=30ms lag, only DVI=3ms lag]
[price/availability]
[FPS, 60hz or 120hz]

If I were you I would go with the catleap or a crossover 27Q.
The crossover has a great stand, response time is good, and the price is fine.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legonut View Post

To be simple: They all have the same panel and these are the things you want to look for:
[Dead/Stuck Pixel warranty]
[The stand]
[multiport=30ms lag, only DVI=3ms lag]
[price/availability]
[FPS, 60hz or 120hz]

If I were you I would go with the catleap or a crossover 27Q.
The crossover has a great stand, response time is good, and the price is fine.
thanks! I thought the 600$ overlord monitor was the only one that could be overclocked to 120hz (I heard some catleaps are able to but it depends on the serial number or something? and is luck of the draw...)

is there one that is OC capable that i'm missing?

·
RGBKB.net
2,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryfreedom66 View Post

thanks! I thought the 600$ overlord monitor was the only one that could be overclocked to 120hz (I heard some catleaps are able to but it depends on the serial number or something? and is luck of the draw...)

is there one that is OC capable that i'm missing?
Yes you are correct that the overlord OC models can be overclocked, but even those have an average OC of 100Hz. The catleaps with the 2B pcb could be overclocked, but that model is now three times as expensive and very rare.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legonut View Post

Yes you are correct that the overlord OC models can be overclocked, but even those have an average OC of 100Hz. The catleaps with the 2B pcb could be overclocked, but that model is now three times as expensive and very rare.
ok well i'd like to keep it cheap if the panel quality is the same. I don't really care that much about stand quality. I would like an hdmi port so I could hook up a console to it, but if there is no way to get around that horrible response time than forget it.

so it seems like maybe the Shimian QH270 would be a good choice...since they are all basically the same..

what do you think of this one : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sale-QH270-IPSBS-27-Monitor-5W-Speaker-advanced-model-than-QH270-Lite-/320882265870?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:CA:3160

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by naididae View Post

I would pay a little more and get it from a more reputable seller, like AW or dream-seller.
well my first linked one is from ta_planet I thought he was pretty reputable...

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
I've owned both a Yamakasi Catleap and a Auria.

The Auria's at the moment are using the old Dell U2711 panel. We guess that dell stopped making the monitor and these panels are left over and they are tossing them in the Auria's now. They have AG on them so if you prefer an AG monitor you can snag this one. Its also thought that since it is left over panels that it might be a higher grade panel with less chance of dead pixels. We have had about 15 puchased on OCN so far and only a little backlight bleed on one. No reports of dead pixels. Also Microcenter has a 30 day no questions asked return policy. So if you get a bad one just return it.

The Catleap i bought was perfect so i couldn't complain. However some of the under 300 dollar ones that are being sold on ebay at the moment are from a really bad batch and almost every monitor has dead pixels. There was another member on here that had received a monitor with such bad backlight bleed that it was just white going right up his screen. He had to file a ticket with paypal to get the buyer to do anything as he refused to do it before he filed anything saying that they expect the monitors to be defective.

The overlords are the same things as the catleaps and all the other ebay ones just with those nice pcbs in them to overclock them. Note the AG Auria's go up to 75Hz.

Thats my take.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftstealth View Post

I've owned both a Yamakasi Catleap and a Auria.

The Auria's at the moment are using the old Dell U2711 panel. We guess that dell stopped making the monitor and these panels are left over and they are tossing them in the Auria's now. They have AG on them so if you prefer an AG monitor you can snag this one. Its also thought that since it is left over panels that it might be a higher grade panel with less chance of dead pixels. We have had about 15 puchased on OCN so far and only a little backlight bleed on one. No reports of dead pixels. Also Microcenter has a 30 day no questions asked return policy. So if you get a bad one just return it.

The Catleap i bought was perfect so i couldn't complain. However some of the under 300 dollar ones that are being sold on ebay at the moment are from a really bad batch and almost every monitor has dead pixels. There was another member on here that had received a monitor with such bad backlight bleed that it was just white going right up his screen. He had to file a ticket with paypal to get the buyer to do anything as he refused to do it before he filed anything saying that they expect the monitors to be defective.

The overlords are the same things as the catleaps and all the other ebay ones just with those nice pcbs in them to overclock them. Note the AG Auria's go up to 75Hz.

Thats my take.
Woah, wait.

The Auria is using the old Dell U2711 panels? They're wide gamut displays? I highly doubt that...

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsbane View Post

Woah, wait.

The Auria is using the old Dell U2711 panels? They're wide gamut displays? I highly doubt that...
Nope someone dismantled it in the Auria Club. its an 8 bit HI FRC. So it can be described as 1.07B colors.

EDIT: Heres the post: http://www.overclock.net/t/1257538/microcenter-now-carrying-the-27-2560x1440-korean-ips-monitors/650#post_19305569

EDIT2: And the panel http://www.panelook.com/LM270WQ2-SLA1_LG%20Display_27.0_LCM_overview_5000.html

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Quote:

Nope someone dismantled it in the Auria Club. its an 8 bit HI FRC. So it can be described as 1.07B colors.

EDIT: Heres the post: http://www.overclock.net/t/1257538/microcenter-now-carrying-the-27-2560x1440-korean-ips-monitors/650#post_19305569

EDIT2: And the panel http://www.panelook.com/LM270WQ2-SLA1_LG%20Display_27.0_LCM_overview_5000.html
http://www.overclock.net/t/1257538/microcenter-now-carrying-the-27-2560x1440-korean-ips-monitors/650_50#post_19308362 ??

If it uses the same panel as the U2711 - it would be wide gamut - it would have very noticeable colour errors, and without an sRGB mode, colours would be widely oversaturated. 10 bit (8bit + frc) isn't what I'm talking about here. But it seems that it is not a CCFL backlight? (not enough power usage for CCFL) and far lighter? And no warm-up time? Something fishy is going on here.

Given the following knowns:
Power consumption far less than your typical U2711 (CCFL is way more power intensive than LED)
No warm up time (CCFL backlights take some time to get bright)
Weight (auria far lighter)

That definitely doesn't sound like a U2711 panel. But the biggest issue is colour gamut. If it is in fact using the old U2711 panel, that's a horrible thing if it doesn't have the corresponding sRGB emulation.

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsbane View Post

http://www.overclock.net/t/1257538/microcenter-now-carrying-the-27-2560x1440-korean-ips-monitors/650_50#post_19308362 ??

If it uses the same panel as the U2711 - it would be wide gamut - it would have very noticeable colour errors, and without an sRGB mode, colours would be widely oversaturated. 10 bit (8bit + frc) isn't what I'm talking about here. But it seems that it is not a CCFL backlight? (not enough power usage for CCFL) and far lighter? And no warm-up time? Something fishy is going on here.

Given the following knowns:
Power consumption far less than your typical U2711 (CCFL is way more power intensive than LED)
No warm up time (CCFL backlights take some time to get bright)
Weight (auria far lighter)

That definitely doesn't sound like a U2711 panel. But the biggest issue is colour gamut. If it is in fact using the old U2711 panel, that's a horrible thing if it doesn't have the corresponding sRGB emulation.
Note that the Panel specs are different. Says 97W on the panel site. They changed the panel like 2 months ago. So the microcenter website specs are wrong. Maybe it isn't the same panel, do we know where this one came from?

Heres an article that reviews the panel from the U2711: http://www.displayblog.com/2011/09/29/apple-thunderbolt-display-lg-display-lm270wq1-v-dell-ultrasharp-u2711-lm270wq2-colors-and-response-times/

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
The Auria EQ276W at the Cambridge Ma Microcenter no longer has AG coating, got mine in January!

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlhil2 View Post

The Auria EQ276W at the Cambridge Ma Microcenter no longer has AG coating, got mine in January!
Early January there were still some Glossys floating around.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Quote:

Early January there were still some Glossys floating around.
Yep, mine is glossy, i am about to go the 1200p route, three! [my bad, i meant 1080p, i have a DELL, i can get 2 more cheap, buying the Titan and a couple of Vaporizers this month has dashed my 3 1440p dreams]
mad.gif

·
Registered
98 Posts
I went with the Overlord during the first batch runs. Got a panel that does 128Hz max overclock, 1440p, no dead pixels, very low backlight bleeding, of course with only DVI. Never looked back
thumb.gif

1 - 19 of 19 Posts