Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the ordeal is finally over. It took many hours over the course of this weekend, but the test results are finally in. Driving forces behind this little experiment are itslogz, Ben the OCer (his test here), and others who asked if it was indeed possible to do this.

Disclaimer: This test was done on an L631F E6600, with a vdroop modded P5B-E motherboard. Full information about the testing environment can be found in the attached excel spreadsheets. So without further ado, here are the spreadsheets (one is in Office 2003 format, the other in Office 2007 format). (Image attached shows the graph)
LL

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Nice work as always. Wish my chip wasnt hungrier than a fat little school kid after recess

This dudes the only reason i ever got a stable overclock/can acheive stable overclocks by myself, keep up the good work.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Yep, that's the beauty of C2D.

I'm running mine at 2.8GHZ 1.25v

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
I wish the Q6600 Chart looked like that.

I need 1.325v for 3.25GHz, 1 knotch lower = unstable.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Thats pretty good, shows you, you could either run a very low 1.22v at 3.2Ghz or because of the shape of the graph (lowest gradient areas) you could run 1.29v at 3.4Ghz.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was just experimenting with this today, before I was linked to the thread. Right now, my E6420 is at 2.8 running on 1.225V. Not sure if I could push the FSB any further though. Gonna go try that now.

·
Premium Member
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by G|F.E.A.D|Killa
View Post

i cant get to 3.2 at 1.4 is it my chip.

It may be your chip, it also may be some BIOS setting that's hampering your overclock.

·
Premium Member
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also keep in mind the fact that I've done the vDroop mod, so the values I'm reporting at are very close to the actual voltage under load. If you haven't done a mod (or one doesn't exist for your board), I'd try to see what voltage I've gotten under load, and correspond that to the BIOS setting that gets you the proper voltage under load.

·
Premium Member
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I've done some more testing to see how low I can go on voltages, and my BIOS likes to limit me to VID - .1v, so I can set a low voltage of 1.1875v (1.2875v VID) in the BIOS. Under droop this equates to 1.176v at load, so I guess I'll try and see how far this voltage can go...
Here's the results at stock speeds.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I haven't tried more than 3.1GHz, but I got by with 1.250v.
It's very cool.

Nice work. I've bookmarked this for later overclocking use.

·
Premium Member
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It varies from chip to chip, and really from setup to setup. Each chip has a different stock voltage (VID value in CoreTemp), and each board has a different level of vDroop, so its really hard to give a standard load voltage. Given the max VID of 1.35v and the usual .075v droop, I'd say anywhere from 1.24-1.28v under load is normal for stock. Of course if the VID is lower, the load voltage will be lower.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
21,125 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murlocke
View Post

I wish the Q6600 Chart looked like that.

I need 1.325v for 3.25GHz, 1 knotch lower = unstable.

1.325v for 3040Mhz on a E2140. Stop yer *****in'.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Thank you for the re-direct !! great post here !

1 - 20 of 33 Posts