Overclock.net banner

How do you Play

• DX9 No tearing

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • DX10 No tearing (please post your setup)

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • DX9 tearing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DX10 tearing

Votes: 4 30.8%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But its not your usual one...

I can run crysis well but suffer from bad screen tearing when in DX10 mode even though my frames per second are at an adequate level. To combat this I ether have to play in DX9 mode or lock Vsync and my FPS drop to 23. I’ve tried triple buffering and pre rendered frames etc. I’m considering upgrading my TV to a 42†Panasonic Viera 600hz model as they’ve been getting nice reviews and should be able to keep up with my gaming as well as supporting NVidia 3D vision.

So my question is those of you who play on a monitor of TV with refresh rate of higher than 60hz do you still get tearing?

Cheers

·
Registered
945 Posts
Don't believe any of that 600Hz or 100Hz crap, none of it is real. That screen runs at 75Hz MAX, 60Hz native. (Even the Panasonic rep told us that at work)

But yes, I prefer plasmas, and I actually prefer Panasonic (check my sig).

But the TV is not gonna make any difference. I've played with Urban Terror (twitch shooter) cloned on both my 22" BenQ and my 32" 100Hz (ugh) Panasonic, and the TV is noticeably slower. Haven't tried it on our 50" yet.

100Hz TV: No tearing, lag.
60Hz Monitor: No tearing, no lag.

A game like crysis is going to be GPU bound. The monitor will not really make a difference, as tearing is not its fault.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I knew it wasn't actually 600hz but its the smooth motion that sounds good. Thinking of taking the PC along and actually trying it

Thought it had to be 100hz for the sterioscopic technology to work.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Not sure about the stereoscopic thing, but the whole "Motion plus" thing is utter bollocks.
Plasmas do not, and never have needed it. They've always been smoother than LCD's.
And try watching a movie on Sony's 100Hz... *shudder*
You'll definately love the Plasma, and I'd say go for the Pana either way, but I don't think it's gonna fix your tearing, as it's the GPU's fault, not the monitors.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I can pretty much wack everything up and have it sit at 23-24fps but its not smooth compared to all the other games.

Just been reading up on NVidia 3D vision and the monitor has to be 120hz

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
whats wrong with turning on vsinc? it takes care of everything

·
Registered
945 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmenianLegend View Post
whats wrong with turning on vsinc? it takes care of everything
Low framerate. He said that.

And as far as the screen not keeping up, it's actually the other way around. Tearing happens when the monitor tries to get a new frame out of the cards buffer, but the card hasn't finished rendering it. This means the screen gets half of the new frame, and half of the old frame. If you've moved the mouse, this means that the two parts of the picture aren't in alignment, causing tearing. Vsync can look jerky when the monitor has to wait for the card to finish rendering the next frame. Depending on when this is, it could possibly be waiting up to 5 refreshes for the card to give it the new frame. This is why software can report lower fps when vsync is enabled. The only real way to fix this is to run it in such a way that the card is rendering faster than the screen is refreshing.

So the card, not the screen is at fault. Getting a screen that runs faster than 60Hz just means your card has to do more work to keep it smooth.

(But go with the plasma anyway. You'll love it)

Edit: all that stuff about vsync may not actually be correct, there seem to be other opinions elsewhere. I almost always leave it off, and have never really had a problem. Maybe because I'm using a DVI cable and that affects the frame buffer thing...

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your help there mate.

Looks like i'll make do then. TBH my 42" LCD is great as it is just wanted rid of the tearing.

Was looking at the new LED's too. They look cool!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.