Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I say "Yet another" because I searched for posts on this already and there a ton. Just none that answered my specific question. I really don't know that much about physx but I've got this extra card laying around...

I have a BFG 9600GT. I have one available PCIe 8x slot.

Is the 8x slot sufficient for it and will it work as a dedicated physx card with my current dual 260 sli setup?

Also, what is the benefit of having a dedicated physx card? Where will I notice performance increases? Games? Benchmarks?

I know that's a lot of questions and I usually do a lot of research myself first, but a direct answer from a few knowledgeable people here on OCN would be a great help right now.

Edit: Come to find out, if I would have looked at the stickies and read this PhysX Faq I would have been all set. http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/589202-faq-physx.html

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks guys. Gonna power this puppy down and stick it in.

PUt it in, install the driver, dedicate and go, right? Just a little nervous here.

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LiLChris
View Post

Yes 8x is more than enough, enjoy your physx card.

Instead of your 260s handling the physx your dedicated card will do so.
You will see performance increase in games that run physx. Batman AA, Mirrors Edge, Mafia etc.

The list of games that support Physx is so short, it would probably fit in a Twitter posting...

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skripka
View Post

The list of games that support Physx is so short, it would probably fit in a Twitter posting...

I'm probably gonna start folding for OCN very soon. It can be used for that too?

·
Premium Member
16,447 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skripka
View Post

So your point is?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drogue
View Post

I'm probably gonna start folding for OCN very soon. It can be used for that too?

Yes it can, if you need help post in the folding section.

·
Super Moderator
32,931 Posts
Go for it
. You will have no issues at all with what you plan on doing. Just please make note, that the list of PhysX supported games is very VERY short. But since you have the card as a spare anyway, you might as well

And since you said folding possibly later on, it would only ADD to your PPD anyway.

So enjoy!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I've got the card in. Had to re-install the latest drivers, but everything is working like clockwork.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very interesting, thanks for that link.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts