Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hm.. i posted a question about 256kbps .mp3 vs .flac audio quality a couple days ago.. yet now i have another 1

I was wondering if there is anyway that i can convert .mp3 to .flac. My logic tells me that you can't get something out of nothing. But, there maybe a secret trick that i don't know about. For example if i burn those 256kbps .mp3 to a audio cd (which converts them to wave). Then rip them as .flac.. would that work? Lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
Converting from a lossy format to a lossless format will not allow you to rip said lossless format into another lossless format. You need to start with the lossless format, you can't create all the bits of sound that have been cut out when you created the mp3

EDIT: That's not to say you can't do it, but there won't be any quality increase, and you might lose some in the mp3 to wav conversion.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,147 Posts
Yep. In other words, you're right: just go straight from the original CD to FLAC.

• Rep+
Reactions: Eek

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

Yep. In other words, you're right: just go straight from the original CD to FLAC.

:[ The problem is... i buy my songs via amazon. Can't get a hold of the orginal cd.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Meh! Anyway thx to everyone that posted. +rep

Edit: Gooda- just noticed your sig rig. Hows the 4x AALS stacking up in raid5? I'm seriously considering going that route.

·
Premium Member
22,343 Posts
Remember that a lot of the time you can get the hard CD's used for about the same price as a digital download.

·
Premium Member
6,125 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eek
View Post

Meh! Anyway thx to everyone that posted. +rep

Edit: Gooda- just noticed your sig rig. Hows the 4x AALS stacking up in raid5? I'm seriously considering going that route.

Pretty nice actually

4 month old install of Vista...so I wouldn't say it's too bad

~Gooda~

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,147 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eek
View Post

:[ The problem is... i buy my songs via amazon. Can't get a hold of the orginal cd.

Can you at least get 320Kbps MP3s? That's 2.5x better than the silly standard of 128Kbps.

Or, switch to iTunes and see what the differences are. Perhaps you can download m4a's (AAC) at 320Kbps. I read that those are a little better than MP3s. I haven't done my own testing.

• Rep+
Reactions: Eek

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@crazy- I pick a select songs that i like from albums :/ i rarely buy whole cd's. Thus that option would actually cost more for me
no rep button! xD

@Gooda- SEX! hm... now another problem.. i don't have any open pci slots for my perc card for raid

@ twocable- Amazon only sells 256kpbs .mp3 :[. i try to stay away itunes store, i don't like drm, and paying xtra for non drm restricted audio doesn't appeal to me.

+rep all (those that i can atleast xD )

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,147 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eek View Post
@crazy- I pick a select songs that i like from albums :/ i rarely buy whole cd's. Thus that option would actually cost more for me
no rep button! xD

@Gooda- SEX! hm... now another problem.. i don't have any open pci slots for my perc card for raid

@ twocable- Amazon only sells 256kpbs .mp3 :[. i try to stay away itunes store, i don't like drm, and paying xtra for non drm restricted audio doesn't appeal to me.

+rep all (those that i can atleast xD )
Well, at least they're not 192Kbps, or worse yet: 128Kbps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Personally I aim for 320kbps MP3 and I find that 256kbps AAC is comparable; I believe it has shown to be so - I'll see if I can find you proof but until then that's only anecdotal evidence. You should try itunes, they just recently switched most of their music over to itunes plus, which is 256kbps mp3. This means around 10 million songs are currently in this format, but there are gaps in their library where the fairplay DRM is still in place as the deal was making this possible was only with the big four labels (EMI, SONY etc). Itunes plus doesn't cost any more than standard itunes music - have a look see.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts