Overclock.net banner

[Youtube] Activision Accused of Hampering Skilled Players By Altering Aiming In Real Time

12358 Views 55 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  EastCoast

Content Customization Based on Player Skill Level

[0075] In a first implementation of the present specification, the system enables players of different skill levels to play together, in the same level of a gaming session, by providing players of different skill levels challenges tailored to their particular skill level. In embodiments, a multiplayer game environment is simulated by a computing system. The gaming parameters are adjusted within the gaming environment according to skill levels of the different players participating in the game. Adjustments result in each player in a team experiencing a different degree of difficulty or challenge while still experiencing the same content within the same level of the gameplay session and while still being able to cooperatively play as a team. In embodiments, the skill levels of the players are different for at least two or more players.
[0077] The modification of the gaming parameters is based on the skill level of each player. In embodiments, the modification of gaming parameters is executed in real time during a gaming session. In embodiments, the modification of the gaming parameters are executed on a player-by-player basis, based on their skill levels, which may be different for different players. Therefore, the online multiplayer gaming environment generates a gaming environment within which two or more players can play cooperatively as a team within the same gaming environment of the same level of the same game and tailors the experiences in that gaming environment to the specific skill level of each player.
[0081] FIG. 3B illustrates a table providing an exemplary list of parameters of a gameplay session that are modified based on a player's skill level and the corresponding experience for players of different skill levels. For example, in a first-shooter gaming environment, when a first player aims his weapon at a target, a parameter defining the tolerance for how accurate the player's aim must be to hit the target is modified based on the acquired skill level of the player. The computer assigns the tolerance for how accurate the player's aim must be to hit the target differently based on the skill level of the first player. A player having a higher skill level will be assigned a lower tolerance parameter and therefore, will have to be more accurate in aiming in order to hit the target. A player having a lower skill level be assigned a higher tolerance parameter and, therefore, could be less accurate in aiming in order to hit the target. As shown, column 310 of Table 1 lists modifiable parameters such as degree of accuracy required to hit a target, column 312 lists the experience of a player having a high skill level, which may be high degree of accuracy required, column 314 lists the experience of a player having a medium skill level, which may be medium degree of accuracy required, and column 316 lists the experience of a player having a low skill level, which may be low degree of accuracy required. Similarly, the table lists other modifiable parameters, such as likelihood of being targeted by enemy, where the experience of a player having a high skill level may be high degree of likelihood, the experience of a player having a medium skill level may be medium degree of likelihood, and the experience of a player having a low skill level may be low degree of likelihood. Another example parameter is difficulty of an in-game puzzle, where the experience of a player having a high skill level may be high degree of difficulty, the experience of a player having a medium skill level may be medium degree of difficulty, and the experience of a player having a low skill level may be low degree of difficulty. Another example parameter is bonus chance of finding powerful treasure, where the experience of a player having a high skill level may be medium degree of chance, the experience of a player having a medium skill level may be high degree of chance, and the experience of a player having a low skill level may be very high degree of chance. Yet another example parameter is number of challenging enemies in a single encounter, where the experience of a player having a high skill level may be a high number, for example 10-20, the experience of a player having a medium skill level may be a medium number, for example 5-10, and the experience of a player having a low skill level may be a low number, for example 1-5. Still another example parameter is gold earned multiplier, where the earning of a player having a high skill level may be high, for example 1.5.times., the earning of a player having a medium skill level may be medium, for example 1.25.times., and the earning of a player having a low skill level may be low, for example 1.times.. One more example parameter is friendly-fire damage amount to team-mates, where the experience of a player having a high skill level may be high degree of damage, for example 100% of damage, the experience of a player having a medium skill level may be medium degree of damage, for example 50% of damage, and the experience of a player having a low skill level may be low degree of damage, for example 0% of damage.
[0093] As a result, instead of having people of the same level teaming up, embodiments of the present specification enable people of differing levels to work together within gameplay. Therefore, even though the players may all be in the same environment, the various parameters that define death and success, among others, will change depending on the player's skill level.
Ok folks it's a lot of information. But the truth is I believe this is going on. With the game altering your aim while you are playing in combination with SBMM is alleged to hurt skilled players.

One example mentioned by another youtuber, murdashow, states that you get 25 kills and it becomes increasingly difficult to get those last 5 kills in free for all.

At least one other person spoke out and says he believes it's single player. However, the patent doesn't limit use of this mechanic to single player.
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

· Overclocker in training
14,851 Posts
Hi,
Even microsoft uses fair gaming tech lol

· Registered
1,463 Posts
Find it funny actually. Its like pro steamer for warzone would whine about skill based match making as they play the game 60hours a week and it was pooling all of them together.

Having a hard time getting 20+ kill matches when they are all facing off against each other instead of killing normal players or even noobs.

Developers have a problem with this as your player base drops off sharp, as no normal person who has a weekend or an evening here and there to log on and get there face pumled in non stop match after match, thats not fun so they will just shelf the game.

Do you cater to the whiny pro/streamer or the casual mob?

Some developers like PUBG(and I think even fortnite?) Introduced bots but that also has its postive/negative effects.

Its a diffcuilt problem with no easy answer.

· Banned
601 Posts
And people still delude themselves into believing the iGen generation isn't being coddled in virtually every waking aspect of life. Now it's penetrated the gaming industry to the point of no return.

Before it was "trigger words" and now it's "safe spaces". Seems the gaming industry is providing these entitled zoomers with that carrot on a stick.

The "player retention" narrative is always used by people that suck at shooters.

· Graphics Junkie
4,520 Posts
And people still delude themselves into believing the iGen generation isn't being coddled in virtually every waking aspect of life. Now it's penetrated the gaming industry to the point of no return.

Before it was "trigger words" and now it's "safe spaces". Seems the gaming industry is providing these entitled zoomers with that carrot on a stick.

The "player retention" narrative is always used by people that suck at shooters.
Saw that you had commented, came to read some crazy BS. Was not disappointed.

· Banned
601 Posts
Have you on ignore for a reason but I'll take the bait anyway.

This all coming from the moron that states nobody should care about CoD because it's a "kids game". How rich...

It's like you think your opinion should supersede and take precedence over everybody elses. Your arrogance hardly ever goes unnoticed.

· MMO Enthusiast
937 Posts
I've always think of this in most FPS games. A few months ago I tried COD Mobile for the first time ever (I usually don't play games on my phone since I hate touch controls), played like 5-6 matches and got 30-40 kills in all of them, a few days later I tried it again and I couldn't make almost any kill, it was ridiculous, I event though the app or my touch screen was broken...

· MMO Enthusiast
937 Posts

Most of the COD public are children, so they gotta make it a "safe space" so they don't rage quit in every match.

· Registered
559 Posts
They changed something in BFV recently with the PIAT. Its a rocket launcher kind of weapon that hurls a grenade in an arch.. When you aim with that now.. it doesnt go where you aim it but rather randomly in a small circle.. its so freaking annoying when they do these things.

I hope they get a lot of negative feedback from this.. Its super stupid.

· Graphics Junkie
4,520 Posts
Have you on ignore for a reason but I'll take the bait anyway.

This all coming from the moron that states nobody should care about CoD because it's a "kids game". How rich...

It's like you think your opinion should supersede and take precedence over everybody elses. Your arrogance hardly ever goes unnoticed.
Lol so logical and reasonable as always.

You know if I were crazy enough to make up my own reality Id at least make it a good one. Somehow your narrow thought processes always bring you back to complaining about things like "safe spaces" or worrying about "trigger words". It's like the phrase "screw the libs" is always right under your tounge and you're just itching to find an excuse to say it.

· I <3 narcissists
7,101 Posts
Part of me wants to be outraged by the idea. The part with a brain doesn't care because it's just a video game and there is no harm in trying to make it fun for everyone. Trying to make it fun for everyone and making it fun for everyone are very different things though. I could see this making the multiplayer gaming experience even worse than it is now.

Superiority is a huge aspect of the social interaction in multiplayer gaming and this will muddy the waters. Hacking accusations will be replaced with assistance accusations. Also, the players who spend a lot of time in the game will learn how to take advantage of the system....humans are going to human.

· Newb to Overclock.net
5,173 Posts
Entertaining watch -- thanks. He might have gotten casual play confused with competitive play in the ending rant though. Competitive play is where handicaps don't belong at all. There should also be a casual lobby where handicaps aren't forced. And then, you should have to opt into a mutual handicap lobby if you want. The video is right on about the game wanting to chaperone your experience, though -- dirty **** in the hopes for player recruitment and retention and no one can scientifically prove it, that's why it's done.

· Back in the Game!
1,258 Posts
I mean... this has been happening in Fifa Ultimate Team for years! You can have a far greater team, be the far better player - but if the game decides to handicap you then you're screwed... many a broken pad will testify to that 😂

· Banned
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
I mean... this has been happening in Fifa Ultimate Team for years! You can have a far greater team, be the far better player - but if the game decides to handicap you then you're screwed... many a broken pad will testify to that 😂
Not just Fifa but madden as well. It was most noticeable in that street basketball NBA Street a few years back. EA called it dynamic difficulty adjustment. It was a horrible thing to do but it was only for single player games. Activision, on the other hand, implemented this on Multiplayer, online games. Making its egregious.

It was also noticeable in those racing games. Where you had this huge lead. And all of a sudden the entire pack of cars that you left in the dust was right behind you in the last to laps of the race.

Sure, sure we've seen this all before. And we are desensitize to it. However, Activision has cuddled noobs into the equation and forcing us to miss shots by:
-Aim resist: you place your cross hair on the target and the cross hair will auto dart to the left or right away from the target
-Hit Rego Problems: Bullets have little effect on a combatant. You shoot, you see the bullets hit. It shows the X on your cross-hair. You even hair the hit market sound effect but does less damage. Personally I don't believe it does 0 damage. It simply does far less damage per shot then it should. Lets say that a bullet from a particular gun does 30 per shot. When this happens it only does 8 or 9 per shot or something like that. Requiring you to fire more of them which causes you to loose the one on one.
Skip to 13:55 at 16:09 he shows it in slow motion. As you can see his bullets don't register. At 17:21 you see the patent forces him to look away from the target.

Here is a perfect example of this. As you can tell by Dr. Disrep. reaction he cannot believe what happened. Because it's random. He doesn't experience this often, if at all. But as you can see he clearly should have one that battle. Someone climbing up a ladder will always lose the gun fight to a decent - skill player just waiting for you. Yet you see, as he was told, his aim was swaying left/right from target and his bullets weren't registering. This is the best example of Activision Patent at work here live in a multiplayer, online game.

Now there is more to it then just that. Sometimes a player is faster then normal. Sometimes you are slower so you cannot avoid gunfire from a distance. And although not discussed often COD games do have Critic damage. Depending on the gap of skill between players. Sometimes a gun that normally cannot kill in 1 headshot and body shot will actually kill.

Joe Cecot states it's "misaligned collision" which is pure bull. As we know to this date the hit rego was never fixed. It's working as intended do to the patent.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.