Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a computer inside a USPS shipping box! I had another USPS box with the exact same stuff inside, but a different hard drive this time. Also, I'm using more shipping-friendly mounting. Here's the first post about it:
http://www.overclock.net/case-mod-wo...oard-case.html
A comment was made by Kaldari: "Something tells me you'll want to splurge on the insurance though cause I don't think it's making the destination intact." So I figured that I need to re-do it but with some better cushioning. Only the optical drive is now fastened in place, whereas last time everything was tied down or screwed into position. The hard drive is now pressed between the bottom of the box and the optical drive, the board sits on a separate plate that's squished into place by the power supply and the hard drive, and the wires are out of the way so that they're not able to jiggle around either, if that makes any difference.

I believe I'm done with this case mod, and I'd like to ship it somewhere. Someone needs to receive it and then ship it back, please.

I used a bit of Reflectix because I get it for free on a weekly basis. We have a small business whose refrigerated inventory is mailed to us all the time in boxes lined with this stuff. I used it because it looks cool, provides some cushioning, and I don't want it around my house.

Here's my motherboard "tray." I used cable zip ties to fasten the board to the cardboard sheet.

In some server housings, there are very long standoff posts. This is so that you can put in normal brass standoffs, put a motherboard over them, but then fasten it down with these really tall standoffs. Then, put another motherboard on top of that. It's pretty awesome. I used two of these to help my optical drive reach both sides of the 8.5"-wide box. Also, I found that a razor blade is the easiest thing to use to cut a box very accurately. Unfortunately, I lost it in the middle of the case mod... Still haven't found it...

I had been taking all my pictures with my nice chair as a backdrop, but then my cat, Danica Catrick, decided it's a better rest area than it is a backdrop.

Hard drive: I cut slits in the sides of a piece of cardboard that I laid over the circuit board so that I could rest the drive inside the metallic bubble wrap-lined box. I tried really padding it up, but it was too thick to fit. Also, I realized I had to make the optical drive switch sides so that the hard drive could cozily sit in there. It just required a bit more cutting.

I found out that the FSP power supply I used has a really awesome right angle 4-pin accessory plug. That's awesome! It fit just right.

The yellow IDE cable was too short to reach from the hard drive to the optical drive, so I had to use a 36" cable I had lying around. If I had to do this over, I'd get more padding around the drive and hang it below the optical drive unless it just couldn't clear it at all.

It's ready to be shipped!

·
Knows the Song of Time
3,664 Posts
I want to let everyone know why this is one of the most awesome mods I've ever seen. First, a lot of times coming to these forums some of us can get discouraged. I mean, it's easy to look at all of the money people have spent on fancy gear and wish you had that as well. It's not the most ideal mindset to have, but sometimes we just fall into that habit of thinking that way. Here is a prime example of how to utilize your personal creativity to come up with an idea that to me is worth more than a $10,000 rig. Custommadename, I honestly believe this might be my favorite mod I've see on these boards. It's a bold statement with all of the creativity that flows from these forums, but you have developed something creative, using cheap/free parts, that shows you don't have to spend a fortune to be awesome. Not to mention, your title is absolutely hilarious. The pun works!

If you actually read my rave here, please add to custommadename's reputation for his work.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I'm not sure if they would ship this. Seeing as you have screws on the outside of the box. Plus when they go to scan it in their xray machine and see all those wires they will yank it off the line, and call in the bomb squad. You can try it though.

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitzogreg
View Post

I want to let everyone know why this is one of the most awesome mods I've ever seen. First, a lot of times coming to these forums some of us can get discouraged. I mean, it's easy to look at all of the money people have spent on fancy gear and wish you had that as well. It's not the most ideal mindset to have, but sometimes we just fall into that habit of thinking that way. Here is a prime example of how to utilize your personal creativity to come up with an idea that to me is worth more than a $10,000 rig. Custommadename, I honestly believe this might be my favorite mod I've see on these boards. It's a bold statement with all of the creativity that flows from these forums, but you have developed something creative, using cheap/free parts, that shows you don't have to spend a fortune to be awesome. Not to mention, your title is absolutely hilarious. The pun works!

If you actually read my rave here, please add to custommadename's reputation for his work.

·
Stock *ahem*
6,382 Posts
very nice!

PS. Is that cat a Russian Blue? It looks JUST LIKE MY ROOMMATE'S CAT I SWEAR.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guys are awesome! I did not at all expect such a response from this! Thank you so much! Special thanks to skitzogreg for the impressive and persuasive post.

Monogoat, I agree that this would be an improper use of federal property if I didn't mean to ship it. The point of this case is that you can mail a fully assembled PC to someone, have that person simply plug in the package instead of unwrapping, and then that could be mailed to someone else or back to the initial person without wasting large amounts of tape or extra boxes. I realize you're going to use some tape in re-sealing the box, but it works.

The power button, I forgot to mention, is inside. You can see in at the bottom-right of the "bird's eye" pictures. It's a case intrusion detection switch from some case. It's cool since it can be covered by a cardboard flap that's pressed down to close the switch's circuit in case you feel like using more cardboard.

Speaking of excess cardboard, I realize another USPS shipping box's pieces were used in this build. That USPS case was cut up into two smaller, triangle-shaped, boxes for me to ship two sets of DDR memory in an RMA. Therefore, the rest of the cardboard is fair game in my mind, and hopefully in the government's.

The cat
I believe this is a very common cat type. It's not a Russian Blue or some fancy breed of that nature. She looks pretty much like a grown version of the "that's nice" cat from above. I was using my cell phone for all these pictures, so sorry about the quality. I do a lot of car mods (no rice, I promise), and my carelessness with digital cameras around engine parts leads me to depend on my cell phone for photography.

And I'm serious about shipping this to someone. It's basically the only way I can feel like this mod is complete. I'd like to ship it to someone who would send it back, of course. That would be nice.

·
Stock *ahem*
6,382 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can't yet, and I really don't want to. This is a really ridiculous setup. 900MHz Via C3, 128MB SDR, 120GB IDE hard drive, CD-ROM drive, and a ~150W mATX power supply. It would make a really good firewall with a second ethernet adapter, and I think that may be its puprose once I get it shipped back to me, if it still works. I honestly feel that at least the board and power supply will survive most shipping experiences because they're the most protected due to the absurd mounting system.

·
Stock *ahem*
6,382 Posts

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
lol epic...nicely done man.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
If you paid me for the shipping back, I'd gladly go through with this. I'm broke at the moment, so I can't really afford shipping it back, as dumb as that sounds

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I'm willing to pay for return shipping. Paying for shipping out to someone seems to be ethical in some respects, but making the recipient pay to get it shipped looks like a good way to determine who would like it more. Is that sick? I hope not.

And thanks again for the positive comments from everyone.

Quantum, shipping it to myself may be the cheapest and most sane way to go, but it wouldn't be as ridiculous in my mind. It would actually be best to ship this to someone relatively far away, like halfway or more across the country, to get the best feel of just how insane it is to have a PC in a case that you ship without further boxing.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
it will arrive DOA!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts