Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this vid is pretty good and this guy got some interesting temps with the CM V6GT.
I wish Ivy would run cooler though...
worriedsmiley.gif

And here's another vid with cooler temps the "same" chip. Why does the first guy get higher temps like i do for example and like most of us? The second one from motherboardorg gets temps like 2600K?!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Each chip is different. The guy from the video might've gotten lucky.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
1.25v on one 3770k can result in 95C+ while 1.35v on another with the same exact cooling and conditions can result in 85C.

Forget everything you know about voltages and temps, Ivy's temps are almost 100% dependant on the processor, not the cooling you use. It's been proven time and time again in the owner's thread. You really can't compare temps to other owners, even if you have the same cooling and same voltage.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mine's on minor clocking to 4.2GHz and it idles around 23-25 degrees, I haven't even had it much past 35 under load but in honesty I haven't watched it carefully. Then again I'm using a H80, a few strong case fans and the sidepanel off.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviateDefiant View Post

Mine's on minor clocking to 4.2GHz and it idles around 23-25 degrees, I haven't even had it much past 35 under load but in honesty I haven't watched it carefully. Then again I'm using a H80, a few strong case fans and the sidepanel off.
Unless you are sitting outside in Alaska those temps are impossible on your cooling, even with no overclock at all. Your software may be misreading, or possibly bad sensor. There's no way you are 100% loading at 35C, that's about what you should be idling at.
tongue.gif

·
Registered
130 Posts
It always idles around the low 20s. My old CPU idled around 35 with a low-end cooler. I hadn't actually stress tested the CPU and was going off the most intensive tasks I'd run so far. I'm sure it would push much higher after longer but I got 41 degress after about 5-10 minutes of full load... the only taxing task I do is encoding from time to time.

stresstesty.png

Might be worth noting that I leave the window open in the Office?
redface.gif

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Quote:

It always idles around the low 20s. My old CPU idled around 35 with a low-end cooler. I hadn't actually stress tested the CPU and was going off the most intensive tasks I'd run so far. I'm sure it would push much higher after longer but I got 41 degress after about 5-10 minutes of full load... the only taxing task I do is encoding from time to time.
stresstesty.png
redface.gif
That program is not giving you core temp, it's estimating the overall CPU temp which is not what you want to pay attention to. Try using Real Temp and running a custom 8k FFT test with Prime95.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
434 Posts
Doesn't the 3770K have a high tcase and tjmax so it can handle the higher temps?
Quote:

redface.gif
And that AI suite often shows temps 10 degrees lower
smile.gif
I'd realtemp just to make sure. Still good temps regardless.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasco View Post

Doesn't the 3770K have a high tcase and tjmax so it can handle the higher temps?.
Yup, many are overclocking up to 90C in IBT/Prime95.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post

That program is not giving you core temp, it's estimating the overall CPU temp which is not what you want to pay attention to. Try using Real Temp and running a custom 8k FFT test with Prime95.
thumb.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasco
And that AI suite often shows temps 10 degrees lower
smile.gif
I'd realtemp just to make sure. Still good temps regardless.
Oh I believe it will go much higher, it's just a case of what I see within my own scenario.

I didn't realise AISuite gave average/estimate temps so thanks for the tip
thumb.gif

My rig runs 24/7 and often does large sync/backups tasks from several servers, I'm interested in 24/7 stability more than the raw CPU power ...I rarely need it.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Quote:

1.25v on one 3770k can result in 95C+ while 1.35v on another with the same exact cooling and conditions can result in 85C.
Forget everything you know about voltages and temps, Ivy's temps are almost 100% dependant on the processor, not the cooling you use. It's been proven time and time again in the owner's thread. You really can't compare temps to other owners, even if you have the same cooling and same voltage.
That makes overclocking IB interesting. It's not like SB which all you do is raise the voltage and multiplier to achieve certain clocks. That is easy and it can be boring. Every IB chip is different and it's interesting to see how high you can push.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Using old Prime95 doesn't really stressful.

try the latest version (AVX instruction enabled) on win7 SP1
ftp://mersenne.org/gimps/p64v277.zip

I'm sure the load temp will increase 10C+

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by owikh84 View Post

Using old Prime95 doesn't really stressful.
try the latest version (AVX instruction enabled) on win7 SP1
ftp://mersenne.org/gimps/p64v277.zip
I'm sure the load temp will increase 10C+
Make sure you enable BOTH error checking methods too. They are off by default, #1 mistake when people are testing for stability.

By the way, I tested with 27.4. Seems like 27.7 just released 4 days ago, what all was changed? Wondering if I should do another 12hr blend.
tongue.gif

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote:

^ basically this 100%

1 - 14 of 14 Posts