15,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
AMD Fanboy Using Nvidia
733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DweeB0 View Post

Advocating piracy?
Its not piracy if you own the system and a copy of the game...but who using this really does?

·
Linux Gamer
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DweeB0 View Post

Advocating piracy?
An emulator by itself isn't at all piratical. Supposing you own the games and the console and decide to play on PC, for more graphics options or whichever of the numerous reasons, there's nothing unethical about it.

·
Intel/Nvidia
3,445 Posts
Nice! I love emulator games.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I dunno, emulating previous console generations is nice and all but current?
That seems a bit too much.
I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if Nintendo went after this project if it progresses too fast.

·
Premium Member
15,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assirra View Post

Emulating current consoles has been happening for the last 15 years.

Like the most famous PS2 emulator, PCX2, which was started in 2002. The height of the PS2's popularity.

·
Eh, Wha?
9,947 Posts
I emulate console games somewhat frequently, even though I own both the console and the games.

I simply have a powerful enough computer that the experience is superior on the emulator than on the original console, and I don't need to haul out a dusty playstation or gameboy or whatever, hook it up, etc.

There is plenty of reason to LEGALLY use emulators, and while they CAN be used illegally, banning all emulators just because some people abuse them would be like banning superglue because your ******ed cousin snorts it.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Quote:

I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if Nintendo went after this project if it progresses too fast.
thing is it wont be actually practical to use this for a few years as it's still new, by the time this catches up to the performance of the console it will be after the launch of the NX.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero4549 View Post

There is plenty of reason to LEGALLY use emulators, and while they CAN be used illegally, banning all emulators just because some people abuse them would be like banning superglue because your ******ed cousin snorts it.
there has been an attempt by sony to ban emulators in the US but it got shot down by court, as long as you own the proprietary software (BIOS and games) it's legal, not to mention better looking and cheaper than repurchasing games you own for the PS4.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
This is awesome. Look forward to this big time.

Bring on a working and stable X360 emulator next. I need Fight Night Round 3 for PC in my life!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Quote:

Current, lol.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Piracy is only a violation of terms of service, and it's barely punishable.

The real crime is copyright infringement, and this is most definitely copyright infringement. Blizzard used copyright infringement as grounds to sue some prominent SC2 hackers back in 2010, on the grounds that merely loading code from RAM is a replication process punishable up to $500,000 for each count. They won, despite there being no sale or meaningful profit other than advertisements for the host website which actually didn't even cover the costs of said hosting.

Website was taken down, and those folks lost everything they'd ever earned and I'm sure they're still basically ruined. I haven't talked to any of them in a while.

So, yeah, if there's recorded proof of you using an emulator.. much like most copyright infringement, the government has it within their power to selectively destroy your financial life. With the way the government is aggressively collecting and storing almost everything they possibly can on the digital day-to-day activities of regular Americans, I'd suggest avoiding anything quasi-incriminating if you ever plan on being something of a Martin Luther King Jr, or JFK.

I'm sure it'll be fine though. They'll use these open-doors to walk into the lives of criminals who would get away, otherwise.

Emulators require a download (replication) of copyrighted content and injection of code into a host program (another replication within RAM) for each session. If someone wants to charge you, the fines could get pretty steep. The terminology within copyright laws for dealing with this sort of thing is pretty loose, so you'd want a good lawyer to keep things from getting out of hand. That is, if someone wants to charge you. Otherwise you'll be fine, I'm sure.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookster View Post

Piracy is only a violation of terms of service, and it's barely punishable.

The real crime is copyright infringement, and this is most definitely copyright infringement. Blizzard used copyright infringement as grounds to sue some prominent SC2 hackers back in 2010, on the grounds that merely loading code from RAM is a replication process punishable up to $500,000 for each count. They won, despite there being no sale or meaningful profit other than advertisements for the host website which actually didn't even cover the costs of said hosting.

Website was taken down, and those folks lost everything they'd ever earned and I'm sure they're still basically ruined. I haven't talked to any of them in a while.

So, yeah, if there's recorded proof of you using an emulator.. much like most copyright infringement, the government has it within their power to selectively destroy your financial life. With the way the government is aggressively collecting and storing almost everything they possibly can on the digital day-to-day activities of regular Americans, I'd suggest avoiding anything quasi-incriminating if you ever plan on being something of a Martin Luther King Jr, or JFK.

I'm sure it'll be fine though. They'll use these open-doors to walk into the lives of criminals who would get away, otherwise.

Emulators require a download (replication) of copyrighted content and injection of code into a host program (another replication within RAM) for each session. If someone wants to charge you, the fines could get pretty steep. The terminology within copyright laws for dealing with this sort of thing is pretty loose, so you'd want a good lawyer to keep things from getting out of hand. That is, if someone wants to charge you. Otherwise you'll be fine, I'm sure.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleem! Read it and weep, especially the "Sony lost on all counts, including Bleem!'s use of screenshots of PlayStation games on its packaging. The court noted that Bleem!'s use of copyrighted screenshots was considered fair use and should be allowed to continue." part.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Alright lets get some real questions raised here!

On topic:

1.) How long until this is actually playable at 30fps / 60fps? 30fps seems close as this last video 1.1.2b was running at around 20fps and this is with an EXTREME lack of optimizations. But how far off are we from 60fps?

1A.) Even once it becomes playable how is anyone supposed to obtain game media? Are these people somehow ripping WiiU discs (which are most likely encrypted) to their PCs or what? If the emulator works fine but there is zero access to playable media then what is the point?

1B.) How do we know that the Devs are not just "faking" all this rapid progress by tailoring the emulator to specific games like Mario Kart? I want to see someone try and load up Xenoblade Chronicles X and have a go at it.

Off topic:

2.) Why is emulating the WiiU so easy and we still cant even get a solid PS3 / X360 emulator that can do anything more than run a main menu?

3.) Why is the 3DS emulator progressing so much slower than this?

Thanks!

- Insan1tyOne
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insan1tyOne View Post

Off topic:

2.) Why is emulating the WiiU so easy and we still cant even get a solid PS3 / X360 emulator that can do anything more than run a main menu?

Thanks!

- Insan1tyOne
biggrin.gif
If I had to guess. Wii has been hacked to death(WiiU is same arch), and its relatively weak (specs wise).

·
Eh, Wha?
9,947 Posts
Quote:

On topic:

1.) How long until this is actually playable at 30fps / 60fps? 30fps seems close as this last video 1.1.2b was running at around 20fps and this is with an EXTREME lack of optimizations. But how far off are we from 60fps?

1A.) Even once it becomes playable how is anyone supposed to obtain game media? Are these people somehow ripping WiiU discs (which are most likely encrypted) to their PCs or what? If the emulator works fine but there is zero access to playable media then what is the point?

1B.) How do we know that the Devs are not just "faking" all this rapid progress by tailoring the emulator to specific games like Mario Kart? I want to see someone try and load up Xenoblade Chronicles X and have a go at it.

Off topic:

Thanks!

- Insan1tyOne
biggrin.gif
Several reasons including:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDalton10 View Post

If I had to guess. Wii has been hacked to death(WiiU is same arch), and its relatively weak (specs wise).
And also because the architecture of the WiiU and Wii are both extremely similar to the Gamecube. The Gamecube is of the same generation as the PS2, which as we all know is also very easy to emulate these days.

Furthermore, the architecture of all 3 said Nintendo consoles is much more similar to that of your standard x86 PC than any of the other consoles.

Lastly, Nintendo actually made development tools for their platform available to the public once upon a time which made all of this much easier to get started.

Now as for the CDs, they aren't some magical format no one has access to. If you can emulate the system, you already have the tools necessary to decrypt the disks.

The devs aren't faking anything, emulation for the GC and Wii has been extremely solid and rapid for years and there is no reason to believe that they are lying about the WiiU which is a very similar system. The same goes for playable framerate.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Quote:

Off topic:

1) depends on how much work they put in and how far it gets.

1a) depends on how the developer designed the emulator

1b) no clue

2) because emulation development is relative to how much effort the team that works on it puts in. One of the possible reasons why nintendo consoles have been in emulation for a long time is that it has a long history of emulation work with its past systems and that its library is relatively more worth the effort(most likely has the least crossover to PC compared to Microsoft or Sony, as the AAA developers who work on those tend to already do PC ports if it isn't a game designed solely for the japanese market)

3) Team. The reason why emulation teams like Dolphin progress a lot because they have a more dedicated team relative to any of the other development teams. Compare Dolphin to any other emulator(e.g PCSX2, PPSSPP, Desume). The ease of use and features far surpass the others.

on an indirect note, Console strength has only a partial influence on how easy it is to emulate. Another would be how the console was designed CPU wise. Historically there have been some outliers where the CPU has some really wonky designs and would probably be hard to emulate

1 - 20 of 62 Posts