Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
15,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

What's up at SpaceX? Engineer Gwynne Shotwell was employee number seven at Elon Musk's pioneering aerospace company and is now its president. In conversation with TED curator Chris Anderson, she discusses SpaceX's race to put people into orbit and the organization's next big project, the BFR (ask her what it stands for).

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,040 Posts
Thunderf00t shot this down like it was a bucket of Cool Whip in a shotgun fight.

It simply cannot be done, the fuel cost alone is about $12,000 per person.
Sooo... The same as a good flight? When time is money $12k isn't all that expensive. I could waste 21hours ($2.5k) in flight or waste 30mins ($12k).

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
21 hours? where do you live, Perth?
air travel times is one of those things that haven't improved in decades...any advancement is much needed.

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
Thunderf00t shot this down like it was a bucket of Cool Whip in a shotgun fight.

Uhu, thunderfoot you say?

That guy has a raging hard-on for shooting down anything Musk related, and while he sometimes has decent arguments, a lot of them are also just plain incorrect.

I'm sure it'll be more expensive than planned and probably not as practical as displayed in the simulation. But I have little doubt that it can be done.

·
Super Moderator
14,112 Posts
Yeah, not going to happen any time soon. Just like the hyper tube or whatever it's called is not going to happen any time soon.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts

How many passengers was that based on? the ship can only take about 100 people to mars, but for a short hop you can carry several times more people.

If you can get to a similar number of flight hours between major maintenance, your airframe costs will be much lower than an airliner, because you can make many more flights in the same amount of time.

·
TEC Veteran
2,007 Posts

That is less than I expected honestly. A First Class flight from NYC to Dubai takes 16hrs and cost $15k+ on Emirates and they are always fully booked. Assuming they keep a similar ~40% ratio of fuel cost per passenger vs ticket price as an airliner, that is a ~$19k ticket. You don't think wealthy people would be willing to spend $4k more on a 12k expense (albeit without the fancy atmosphere) to make the trip quicker than a pizza delivery vs a 16hr ordeal? Plus, all costs aside, I would rather spend 30 minutes in anything than 16hrs on a First Class flight and I am sure I cannot be the only one. Time is money, and in today's world of instant gratification it is hard to put a price on turning a 16hr trip into a quick 30min jump.

There will be a market for that type of service, although it won't be for the average consumer like me and you.

·
Registered
902 Posts

Concorde jet was like 8 grand 14 years ago from London to New York. Including inflation that is like 11 grand. It was like 20,000 dollars from New York to London. Elon Musk will get you 3 times the distance, in 30 minutes, and 1 to 1/2 the cost.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
When you have a hammer everything looks like a nail. SpaceX now has the reusable rocket, they are trying to use it everywhere, whether it's suitable or not.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts

That's why we need to get away from fossil fuel. In this day in age, there ought to be something else we can use by now. It's just crazy that the only source of energy we use for flight is insanely expensive rocket fuel. And due to the Invention Secrecy Act, who knows how many inventions are being suppressed and reserved for military use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts