Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
I always had the feeling when I skyped my partner could answer before I even finished my sentence.

Was weird.

Ventrilo is my personal favorite, but back in the days when people had slow internet it made them lag
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Cant watch the video. Do they do anything to address multiple users and any impact that has on latency?

What about server locations and hosting providers?

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Been using mumble since its inception. Everyone that is a hip gamer jumped to Discord from TS and Vent. Understandably, it's because you don't need a server to use it, you can just host it. But in the end, I still think mumble is best.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I'd take the results with a grain of salt...these things are very hard to measure accurately and reliably and there are many variables that can affect your tests that are again very hard to control/predict

·
Sunday League Jibber
4,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucdan View Post

Been using mumble since its inception. Everyone that is a hip gamer jumped to Discord from TS and Vent. Understandably, it's because you don't need a server to use it, you can just host it. But in the end, I still think mumble is best.
I've not had any bad experiences with Mumble but I can't imagine making the switch from TS. My community and I have had conversations about it and we all agree - it's the name. I fully admit it's an extremely idiosyncratic rationale but I just hate the name. It's like making tyres and calling your company Flatworks or making cigarette lighters called Snuffouts.

In all seriousness however that is impressive performance on Mumble's end but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by [xPt]FLuX View Post

I'd take the results with a grain of salt...these things are very hard to measure accurately and reliably and there are many variables that can affect your tests that are again very hard to control/predict
this is also very true.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Mumble has always claimed to have great latency and this confirms it, I use mumble with a group I play games with as one of the members is a dev on mumble. And personally I have no complaints about it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
For most of my gaming, I just use Skype when it comes to small groups (2-5 people). The set up is annoying, but after that it's smooth sailing.

·
Just Lift Bro
3,234 Posts
Well i mean if skype didn't crash like everytime i close a call on my laptop,desktop and phone that'd be pretty nice

also disconnections at least 3 or 4 times per day when speaking to my wife when i'm working or other clients its a pain

i started using google hangouts now its pretty nice

i don't mind mumble but not much people use it in the games i play same with vent

we all use TS.

i actually applied for a licence and got one few months ago for my community got a rig running my server from a friends house in holland

500 slots ftw
tongue.gif

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smanci View Post

This reminds me I'll need to set up that RasPi Mumble server
biggrin.gif
I have one on my RPI Gen2 works well for 15 slots while having only 64MB for the GUI and the rest for system. No lag, no nothing. Have it running with no-ip dns, it's the perfect 24/7 setup that you can have under your bed and forget about it for only 3W of power usage. Cheaper than renting a server from a host lol. I bet it can go up to 25 without much of a hiccup, but it's only my close friends that use it so 15 is perfect.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Gotta say I'm a personal fan of Discord. It has a clean and modern UI (unlike Mumble), lots of functionality outside of just group voice chat, quick to set up and quick to invite others to your server, and good management for multiple servers.

·
Computer Arsonist
2,620 Posts
Never really have had any problems with Skype. (And the only problems I did/have encountered are related to Corsair's buggy CUE program and my Void 7.1)

·
Banned
720 Posts
Been using Discord now for a while. Great voice, no issues, integrated chat, music bots. Good to go.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smanci View Post

This reminds me I'll need to set up that RasPi Mumble server
biggrin.gif
Using a RaspberryPi is most likely going to negate any benefit gained by switching to Mumble for a low latency VOIP. RaspberryPi's ethernet is run through USB and the added overhead of USB plus the modest CPU clock speed of 900 MHz will no doubt add a great deal of latency. I'm sure it will work just fine for VOIP uses but don't expect this ultra low latency performance on such a device.

Edit: Grammar

·
Registered
518 Posts
These numbers are not worth a lot without them showing the exact measuring method, incl. all components.

·
Premium Member
15,714 Posts
If I install mumble, do I have to pay to have my own server?

·
Rabies is my business
4,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iARDAs View Post

If I install mumble, do I have to pay to have my own server?
No, I really like Mumble but other than a group of people I used to do a podcast with I don't know anyone who uses it. Everyone else I know is still stuck on Teamspeak.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts