Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so its coming down to the line. I want to hook one of these two setups to my HDTV+PS3(gaming and Bluray)+HDTV Directv setup next month.

I am planning to hook the sets up via the optical connection output on my HDTV (32LG70).

Two questions:

1.) Would I have any more/less issues hooking up one or the other with this setup, as far as compatibility goes? Will optical always work?

2.) Are the Promedia 5.1s so much better than the Z-5500s that they're worth the $150 price difference? I absolutely love my Promedia 2.1s for my computer, they took a dump on my old Z-2300s. Is the difference between the z-5500 and promedia 5.1 as big as the difference between the Z-2300 and promedia 2.1?

Thanks everyone
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,348 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by d3v0 View Post
Alright so its coming down to the line. I want to hook one of these two setups to my HDTV+PS3(gaming and Bluray)+HDTV Directv setup next month.

I am planning to hook the sets up via the optical connection output on my HDTV (32LG70).

Two questions:

1.) Would I have any more/less issues hooking up one or the other with this setup, as far as compatibility goes? Will optical always work?

2.) Are the Promedia 5.1s so much better than the Z-5500s that they're worth the $150 price difference? I absolutely love my Promedia 2.1s for my computer, they took a dump on my old Z-2300s. Is the difference between the z-5500 and promedia 5.1 as big as the difference between the Z-2300 and promedia 2.1?

Thanks everyone

I think the Z-5500s sound great, although I have the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1's myself. Honestly I wouldn't say that the Klipschs are phenomenally better than the Z-5500's, but I'm ceratinly no audiophile. They both sound awesome. My set of ProMedia's is six years old now and they still sound awesome. Plus Klipsch still has parts for them (grilles, satellites, etc.) and good support. Decide with your wallet; if you can splurge for the Klipsch, go for it. If not, the Z-5500s are very good.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: d3v0

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
Since this will be for gaming, I would say go with the Logitechs because they are cheaper and will work very well.

If this was for music listening, then matters may be different.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those guys seem pretty elitist to newbs posting this kinda stuff


I spend a lot of time over there but never post.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,135 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MOCAMBO View Post
Yea when it comes to audio stuff, I never go anywehere but there, those guys are basically like overclock.net except they spend $1000 dollars on like cable wire LOL
That's entirely why I haven't signed up to Head Fi.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So for blu ray/hdtv cable/ps3 video games the z-5500s shouldn't really sound any worse than the promedias then?

Also, will the optical audio out on my tv work for all the above listed uses?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,576 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by d3v0 View Post
So for blu ray/hdtv cable/ps3 video games the z-5500s shouldn't really sound any worse than the promedias then?

Also, will the optical audio out on my tv work for all the above listed uses?
Well I dont know about the US, but there seems to be a great price difference between the Klipsh and the Logitech , correct me if im wrong. But from previous readings over at head-fi, ppl always seem to lean towards Klipsh, but to save ur pocket I'd go with Z5500.

Most of the ppl on this forum are going to tell u Z5500 purely because they own them or have read threads upon threads about its, purely popularity lol. Although they are good lol.

As for the optical audio......we really cant answer without knowing what TV you have.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nuclear, is that the main difference? The klipsch do "true" 5.1 in digital? Sorry I'm such a newb to that, as far as the differences are. What's this "true" 5.1 anyway?
 

·
Blue and Green Team!
Joined
·
10,742 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by NuclearCrap
View Post

Yes, although the Z-5500 can only do true 5.1 through analog.

Dolby Digital Live provides true 5.1 if the source is recorded in 5.1.

Otherwise it will just play in 2 channel stereo.

If the device doesn't output in dolby, then the Z-5500's won't read the optical signal and you will have to use analogue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,096 Posts
I'm not sure if the Xtreme gamer supports it, but the CMSS software doesn't to a bad job of upconverting a stereo signal to surround (which can be fed over the optical out).

Personally though, I think it's worth investing in a decent low-watt receiver and start filling in a surround system over time. In the long run you get a more flexible system with much better sound for both gaming and music.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by grossebeaver View Post
I'm not sure if the Xtreme gamer supports it, but the CMSS software doesn't to a bad job of upconverting a stereo signal to surround (which can be fed over the optical out).

Personally though, I think it's worth investing in a decent low-watt receiver and start filling in a surround system over time. In the long run you get a more flexible system with much better sound for both gaming and music.
Hmm, not really sure where to start at all, and these things are really expensive hehe
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
BTW... the Klipsch Pro Media Ultra 5.1 have been discountined for over year now....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,096 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by d3v0 View Post
Hmm, not really sure where to start at all, and these things are really expensive hehe
With a $400 budget, a basic receiver and 2x bookshelf speakers is a good place to start out. The surround effect won't be quite there (not that stereo is awful in games) until you fill in the rest of the system but the overall sound quality will have a marked improvement.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by d3v0 View Post
Doesn't mean I can't find em

Got mine from eBay 4 years ago for like $250 shipped. I use mine with a HTPC.


Just be aware that they are known to fail due to an overheating relay.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1006153
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: d3v0
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Top