Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i7 6700k
Asus Maximus VIII Ranger
2x8 g.skill
EVGA 650 SuperNova G2
MSI 970 GTX

Just put together this build for a friend and it started up and then shut down randomly after 5 mins of using it and now wont power on at all. Any quick ideas as to what would cause this?

It's like the board isn't getting any power at all. No LEDs or anything lit up. Tried 2 different power supplies. Tried no RAM, and 1 stick in A2.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,420 Posts
Full system details would be somewhat helpful if we are to help.
But you did remember to use motherboard stand off´s right?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

Full system details would be somewhat helpful if we are to help.
But you did remember to use motherboard stand off´s right?
Yup.
frown.gif
I'm hoping the motherboard or cpu didn't just give up.

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Try removing the motherboard from the case and see if it starts up.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,420 Posts
There is paste on the CPU right? everything is hooked up the right way and everything is tight enough?
If its yes too all that then it sounds like a dead motherboard.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4inkill3r View Post

Try removing the motherboard from the case and see if it starts up.
Just tried this and still wont start at all. No error code on the LED or anything like that.
frown.gif

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Sounds like motherboard RMA time.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

There is paste on the CPU right? everything is hooked up the right way and everything is tight enough?
If its yes too all that then it sounds like a dead motherboard.
I just noticed some of the LEDs are lit. Do you think it's mobo and not CPU related?

·
Senior OCN Member
40,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinSane View Post

I just noticed some of the LEDs are lit. Do you think it's mobo and not CPU related?
Ignore the lights i have had dead motherboards that would light up green before.
And CPU´s almost never dies or have problems so its unlikely its the CPU.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got a new motherboard to try today and now it's turning on but giving me the error code 00 on the mobo LED. The manual says it means "not in use". Any ideas?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMatthewStewart View Post

Odd. Do have a PSU tester or a multimeter? Also, Im sure shilka is quietly wondering what psu you are using
smile.gif
EVGA 650 SuperNova G2

no psu tester
frown.gif
but i tried a different psu as well

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Quote:

EVGA 650 SuperNova G2

no psu tester
frown.gif
but i tried a different psu as well
Sorry, you already mentioned the PSU in the first post. Not sure how I missed that! Different PSU is giving you trouble as well? If so, this is the point where I get very frustrated and start thinking that the system RAM or CPU was the problem. I just went through something like this. This is going to sound a little crazy (what I say after I get your response) but what are you using to cool the cpu? You'll see why Im asking in a minute. It also doesnt mean that the first motherboard wasnt bad. But you may have more than one faulty component. But humor me for a minute by telling me what youre using for the cpu cooler.

I thought I had a problem PSU so I bought two testers. One cheap and one not so cheap. Might be a good little tool to have handy. Here are the two I bought along with the multimeter that I bought just last week:

PSU tester
http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Automated-Supply-Oversized-Supplies/dp/B005F778JO

Cheap PSU tester:
Insten 20 / 24-pin Power Supply Tester for ATX / SATA / HDD,

And the Multimeter I bought (has auto-ranging for idiots like me)
http://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3320-Auto-Ranging-Digital-Multimeter/dp/B000EVYGZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452891048&sr=8-1&keywords=innova+3320

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
You should still get something even without a ram or CPU. You could check the psu easily if you had a "jumper" which come with the xspc water cooling kits, I have troubleshooted between my motherboard and power supply in this way. Have you tried taking the build out of the case to make sure the wires behind the motherboard are not shorting somewhere when you close the door? I have encountered this problem along the line too.

Get one of these... best money you will ever spend

http://www.amazon.com/XSPC-ATX-Bridge-Tool-Black/dp/B00NKQ4F98/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452891445&sr=8-1&keywords=24+pin+jumper

Although the one Dmatthewstewart has shown maked me want to buy that too. But my suggestion will work just fine, if the fans spin up then your psu should be ok.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Amazon shipped this mobo without that black plastic piece over the socket and one of the pins is a bit bent. That could cause error 00? This is unreal.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Quote:

Amazon shipped this mobo without that black plastic piece over the socket and one of the pins is a bit bent. That could cause error 00?
No clue unless the error code is cpu related. But you said it isn't labeled clearly 00= "not in use" does not really mean much to me.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMatthewStewart View Post

Sorry, you already mentioned the PSU in the first post. Not sure how I missed that! Different PSU is giving you trouble as well? If so, this is the point where I get very frustrated and start thinking that the system RAM or CPU was the problem. I just went through something like this. This is going to sound a little crazy (what I say after I get your response) but what are you using to cool the cpu? You'll see why Im asking in a minute. It also doesnt mean that the first motherboard wasnt bad. But you may have more than one faulty component. But humor me for a minute by telling me what youre using for the cpu cooler.
CPU cooler is Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Quote:

CPU cooler is Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.
The CPU does require a certain amount of pressure to start as he is saying. But if you mounted according to directions I am skeptical of that and since two different mobo's were used you have remounted.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronicfx View Post

The CPU does require a certain amount of pressure to start as he is saying. But if you mounted according to directions I am skeptical of that and since two different mobo's were used you have remounted.
The last mobo didn't turn on at all. This one turns on but Q-Code 00. So frustrating.

I bent the pin back into place and going to try now.

·
To The Game
7,674 Posts
Quote:

The last mobo didn't turn on at all. This one turns on but Q-Code 00. So frustrating.
Look in your mobo manual and see what the code means.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts