Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy this shortly and will go into a Carbide 240 case with a max cooler height of 115/120 but to be honest I don't like tower coolers so am bot looking at that type.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £440.23

And at the moment I am looking to cool the CPU after a modest overclock.
I have a shortlist of 5 although it will be my decision in the end your thoughts on one or more of these appreciated. I am not looking to overclock the bejeebers out of the 6600k which might mean that the AOI is overkill. So a cooler that will handle a modest overclock and one that will not suffer if I swap fans probably to a Bitfenix Spectre Pro. I have discared three for one reason or the other but am still open to suugestions on other possible coolers.

Thermalright AXP-100 Muscle Does not come with the adapter plate which means I cannot use a 120mm fan of my choice.
[Silverstone NT06-PRO Nitrogon
Noctua NH-L12 Not good if you overclock.
Silverstone Tundra TD02-SLIM
Be Quiet Dark Rock TF Just looked at the dimensions for the Be Quiet and fans are only 135mm so again cannot change them, so also removed.

·
Premium Member
27,108 Posts
GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 appears to have plenty of clearance for most any cooler. I scale 73mm center CPU to near sizde of PCIe socket and 53mm to near side of RAM socket. Actually closer to 74mm & 54mm, but I would rather be conservative and error on side of caution.
AXP-200 is available for £35.48.

I would post dimensional drawing but OCN's upload is not working at the moment. They really need to get this fixed! Really handicaps users trying to show others things.
mad.gif

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 appears to have plenty of clearance for most any cooler. I scale 73mm center CPU to near sizde of PCIe socket and 53mm to near side of RAM socket. Actually closer to 74mm & 54mm, but I would rather be conservative and error on side of caution.
AXP-200 is available for £35.48.:
I was looking at the AXP 100 which comes with the apater kit to enable 120mm to be used but cannot find it hear in the UK. The AXP 100 Muscle is available but does not come with an adapter kit and as I would be wanting to change to a 120mm fan this is no use.

As the RAM I am getting has LED's, (I do like my bling) I wonder if the AXP 200 can be placed so that it does not cover the RAM, is this possible?

·
Premium Member
27,108 Posts
Here are images fo cooler and motherboard.
Motherboard has 73mm to near side PCIe socket and 53mm to near side RAM socket
AXP-200 cooler is 70mm toward PCIe socket and 47.5 toward RAM socket
That should clear sockets with no problems. The cooler bottom clearance looks like it will clear other motherboard components.
Add 8mm for CPU height to bottom of fin measurements and you have motherboard to fin distance.

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,197 Posts
You need to put the Cryorig C1 into the mix. It would have the best performance of the group you are looking at aside from the Dark Rock TF.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakewalk_S View Post

Check out my build here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1596745/build-log-silverstone-ml07b-2500k-gtx970-clu

I'm using the NT06-Pro and its a pretty good cooler. I'd recommend it. Definitely looks great and performs very well with CLU...Has no problems cooling my 2500k @ 4.5ghz
That is very usefulinfo thanks. So it will handle a modest overclock without any issues?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post

You need to put the Cryorig C1 into the mix. It would have the best performance of the group you are looking at aside from the Dark Rock TF.
Looked at the this one but it is hard to find here in the UK though the C7 is available but not suitable I think.
Quote:

Here are images fo cooler and motherboard.
Motherboard has 73mm to near side PCIe socket and 53mm to near side RAM socket
AXP-200 cooler is 70mm toward PCIe socket and 47.5 toward RAM socket
That should clear sockets with no problems. The cooler bottom clearance looks like it will clear other motherboard components.
Add 8mm for CPU height to bottom of fin measurements and you have motherboard to fin distance.

Sorry Lloyd did not realise it was you when I first resonded also to your PM.
biggrin.gif

Great info here but can I install the AXP 200 without it obscuring the RAM?

·
Premium Member
27,108 Posts
What ciarlatano said.
thumb.gif

C1 is very good both in performance and looks. You can dl an origami pattern from Cryorig to check it's fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fraggle View Post

Sorry Lloyd did not realise it was you when I first resonded also to your PM.
biggrin.gif

Great info here but can I install the AXP 200 without it obscuring the RAM?
Let me think about that. Last time I tried fitting something mesureing 47mm in a 53mm space it had 5 mm of extra space.
tongue.gif

I have drawing of C1, but can't get OCN to accept it .. again!.
mad.gif

·
Premium Member
27,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakewalk_S View Post

@Mr Fraggle, No issue with overclocking my i5-2500k. I obviously can't get 5GHz but the cooler can easily handle 4.5GHz. I highly recommend CLU too... dropped my temps 8C...
Sorry, CLC is good for 2-3c improvement over most TIMs, but not 8c. There had to be other things helping you along to get 8c better temps.
tongue.gif

·
Banned
4,627 Posts
Quote:

Sorry, CLC is good for 2-3c improvement over most TIMs, but not 8c. There had to be other things helping you along to get 8c better temps.
tongue.gif
Depends on the chip but its believable. Especially if tested during different ambient temps, most people don't take that into account haha.

If the tim was old and dried out i could see 8C, hard to believe but not impossible. Me personally i didn't see but a few degrees between TIM and CLU on a bare die at that.

·
Banned
4,627 Posts
Quote:

Soorry guy but CLC and CLU?
Liquid metal by cool laboratory. Its widely used for people who delid as its pretty much like soldering the IHS on (which the high end CPUs have)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluej511 View Post

Liquid metal by cool laboratory. Its widely used for people who delid as its pretty much like soldering the IHS on (which the high end CPUs have)
And this is used as I would use say Arctic Silver or something similar?

·
Premium Member
27,108 Posts
What bluej said.
thumb.gif

It works similar, but is can damage the finish on CPU / IHS / cooler base and can be very hard to get a good install wiht. Some tend to almost 'glue' the cooler to CPU and do not like to come off after several months in use. I have been tempted to try them but for a 2-3c difference on a fair playing field (equal room ambient / cooler intake air temps on good TIM prints) it's just not worth the extreme cost and hassle of applying, etc.

I keep trying to post the C1 measurement drawing, but no luck so far.
mad.gif

·
Banned
4,627 Posts
Quote:

What bluej said.
thumb.gif

It works similar, but is can damage the finish on CPU / IHS / cooler base and can be very hard to get a good install wiht. Some tend to almost 'glue' the cooler to CPU and do not like to come off after several months in use. I have been tempted to try them but for a 2-3c difference on a fair playing field (equal room ambient / cooler intake air temps on good TIM prints) it's just not worth the extreme cost and hassle of applying, etc.

I keep trying to post the C1 measurement drawing, but no luck so far.
mad.gif
I pretty much tried to shut someone up on the forum who said it would make a huge difference. Hasn't posted since haha. Ive gone back to IHS now instead of bare die and thats made a bit of a difference, temperatures have gone up. Im waiting for my pressure paper to arrive to try it bare die. It seems like clu has to be applied extremely thinly to work the best so who knows.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like I will stick to the tried and tested then which reminds me I need to add it to my shopping basket.

·
Premium Member
27,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluej511 View Post

I pretty much tried to shut someone up on the forum who said it would make a huge difference. Hasn't posted since haha. Ive gone back to IHS now instead of bare die and thats made a bit of a difference, temperatures have gone up. Im waiting for my pressure paper to arrive to try it bare die. It seems like clu has to be applied extremely thinly to work the best so who knows.
Very interested in pressure paper. Would love to get my hands on some. I used it years ago to check direct contact fits and loved it. Where did you get it? Agree, all TIM needs to be used sparingly. People are under the miss-impression that it is to make a film between CPU / IHS / cooler base and it's not. Metal to metal contact is many times better than TiM for heat transfer. TIM is only supposed to fill the holes / voids between metal to metal surfaces.
Quote:

Looks like I will stick to the tried and tested then which reminds me I need to add it to my shopping basket.
What TIM do you use?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It has been a while since I needed any and when I did I found a small tube that must have come with somthing.

what do you suggest?

·
Banned
4,627 Posts
Quote:

Very interested in pressure paper. Would love to get my hands on some. I used it years ago to check direct contact fits and loved it. Where did you get it? Agree, all TIM needs to be used sparingly. People are under the miss-impression that it is to make a film between CPU / IHS / cooler base and it's not. Metal to metal contact is many times better than TiM for heat transfer. TIM is only supposed to fill the holes / voids between metal to metal surfaces.
What TIM do you use?
Contacted one of the places in the US for a free sample, exchanged a few emails so he knew what it was used for. Should come in a regular envelope so well see how long it takes. Then ill use it bare die, i did notice the waterblock sits directly on the cpu socket as well so hoping its making good pressure with the die. Going bare die dropped me about 3-4°C from where im at now. Forza 6 is super cpu intensive so good test.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts