Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a short summary of my situation:

At the first day of this year 2 components (GPU, Mainboard) failed and now I have to use my 10 year old PC and I'm now sick of waiting for decently priced components without having huge downsides (like only having ridiculously low support for only 16 PCIE lanes) in the newest generation intel cpus). AMD ryzen is also not an option after seeing how slow ryzen is in many modern pc titles in comparison with the 8700k and being mostly equal in compute applications.

Specs of my gaming rig that failed:

CPU: i7 4820k @ 3.9 Ghz
CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
Mainboard: Gigabyte X79 UP4
RAM: 16 GB Corsair (4x4) Quad Channel 1600 Mhz
GPU: GTX 760 2GB @ 1215 Mhz
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250 GB SSD
HDD: Toshiba 2 TB 64 MB cache HDD 7200 rpm Sata 3
PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power 10 (1000 Watt)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300r
Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX 2

Peripherals:

Monitors: Asus VG248QE, Benq FP202WA
Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 250 Ohm
Mouse: Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex
Keyboard: Logitech K120 (QWERTZ)
Wheel: Logitech G27
Speakers: Logitech X210
Joystick: Logitech Extreme 3D Pro

So now to my question: Can I still use the full 16x pci lanes for the gpu on a Z370 mainboard while using my soundcard and a possible M.2 upgrade?? I heard that many mainboards that have support for 24 pcie lanes M.2 is not interfering with the pcie lanes of the CPU so how about a soundcard and any mainboards to avoid? Atleast that would be one problem less. I also thought about buying a used x79 mainboard as the cpu is still working but even used they are very expensive and it's not worth for such old hardware. Still with the x79 and i7 4820k I didn't had to worry about anything like that because of 40 pcie lanes support (bought the psu and mainboard because I wanted to buy a high end sli setup when i had money again, also not possible with Z370 with full 16x support. Also if this is not working out any other cpu recommendations with no performance sacrifice?

Thanks for help in advance!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
A Z370 motherboard will be ok with a VGA (x16), a M.2 (x4) and a souncard (x1).
If you upgrade though and you have in mind to go for SLI in the near future then upgrade directly to X299 which can support 2 VGAs x16.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! Do you know if there any larger differences between mainboard manufactures? I'm thinking about getting the Asus ROG Strix Z370 F gaming. Are you sure that the IO hub is no limitation when I have a GPU (PCIE 3.0 16x) and Soundcard (PCIE 3.0 1x) plugged in? As far as I understand that's only the case with reserved M.2 slots and when you want to use one more PCIE slots the GPU only has (PCIE 3.0 8x) or how does that work with this generation?

·
Overclocked
2,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduonkhl View Post

Thanks for the reply! Do you know if there any larger differences between mainboard manufactures? I'm thinking about getting the Asus ROG Strix Z370 F gaming. Are you sure that the IO hub is no limitation when I have a GPU (PCIE 3.0 16x) and Soundcard (PCIE 3.0 1x) plugged in? As far as I understand that's only the case with reserved M.2 slots and when you want to use one more PCIE slots the GPU only has (PCIE 3.0 8x) or how does that work with this generation?
Honestly the Asrock Taichi Z370 is a better board than the Strix
smile.gif
CPU for Z370 has 16 PCI-E lanes which is enough to support 2 graphics cards in SLI without any reduction in performance. Z370 chipset has 24 PCI-E lanes which are the lanes everything else such as SATA ports, USB ports, PCI-Ex1 slots, M.2 slots etc run from. Any Z370 board has enough lanes to do what you want.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much! Finally someone that explains it the simple way! Yeah thanks for the suggestion I'll have a more in-deph look about what mainboard to buy. Only thing I know for sure is that I won't buy from Gigabyte again as they are the reason that I need a new PC in the first place haha
biggrin.gif
(GPU failed and because of that and the "quality" mainboard with no backup the complete Mainboard failed aswell instead of just the PCIE slot)

·
Overclocked
2,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduonkhl View Post

Thank you very much! Finally someone that explains it the simple way! Yeah thanks for the suggestion I'll have a more in-deph look about what mainboard to buy. Only thing I know for sure is that I won't buy from Gigabyte again as they are the reason that I need a new PC in the first place haha
biggrin.gif
(GPU failed and because of that and the "quality" mainboard with no backup the complete Mainboard failed aswell instead of just the PCIE slot)
Yeah not a big fan of Gigabyte myself, another board to consider depending on your budget would be Maximus X Hero which is a true ROG board
smile.gif

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah the thing is for that money you can already consider something better like the x299 plattform
biggrin.gif
problem with that though is that it's the older gen cpus and you need to spend a little more to have a performance advantage: i7 7800x vs i7 8700k in this case

1 - 7 of 7 Posts