Overclock.net banner

1201 - 1220 of 4253 Posts

·
⤷ αC
Joined
·
11,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume View Post

Even if we are going to use the computer in intensive spurts? At high OC's?

I for one don't care about features. I'm only concerned with intense use spurts. Maybe I'll test the noise of heatsinks and while testing their cooling use a fan to keep the VRM's cool.
I meant more like SLI PLUS (was $99 on Newegg a day or two ago along with Extreme4 at $125) and upwards. There's no point to buying a top tier board and a i5-8400, since it will be limited to 3.8GHz all core anyway. I didn't mean to buy the boards that hit 90°C on stock with AVX.
tongue.gif
 

·
?ᎾᏟᎥᏁᎶ mᎪ Ꮑ1ᏢᏢᏞ3s ?
Joined
·
927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clausewitz View Post

Where can I find the v1.22 BIOS? I only see 1.20.
Directly from Asrock's support page for Z370 Extreme 4: Here

If you are still on release bios v1.00 you could just update to v1.10 for now until everything is sorted out(assuming everything is running properly on v1.10)
thumb.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koniakki View Post

Directly from Asrock's support page for Z370 Extreme 4: Here

If you are still on release bios v1.00 you could just update to v1.10 for now until everything is sorted out(assuming everything is running properly on v1.10)
thumb.gif
Do you guys have any audio issues with your Asrock z370 boards?
 

·
?ᎾᏟᎥᏁᎶ mᎪ Ꮑ1ᏢᏢᏞ3s ?
Joined
·
927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amd7674 View Post

Do you guys have any audio issues with your Asrock z370 boards?
Well in my everyday normal usage using the audio onboard audio(S/PDIF(toslink) out to a LG 9.1 surround system) I haven't heard any audio crackling, buzzing or popping etc in either Youtube, movies/music or games so far. Fingers crossed.
tongue.gif


If there's a specific scenario which audio issues can be replicated/reproduce I would gladly check it out.
thumb.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
The Asus Apex X has two network devices, one is the Aquantia (I believe) AQC108 the other is Intel I219-V, other ROG motherboards like the Hero X does support network teaming, and it's specified in the motherboard description, I wonder if the Apex does also support this feature?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post

I meant more like SLI PLUS (was $99 on Newegg a day or two ago along with Extreme4 at $125) and upwards. There's no point to buying a top tier board and a i5-8400, since it will be limited to 3.8GHz all core anyway. I didn't mean to buy the boards that hit 90°C on stock with AVX.
tongue.gif
Actually that board makes more sense to me as at most i would be looking at i7 8700. I just want a board with 1220 sound, spdif and as a bonus support a high memory overclock. I got a set of ddr4 3200 with b-dies and that is already a huge hole in the pocket. Thanks alpha for your insight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amd7674 View Post

Do you guys have any audio issues with your Asrock z370 boards?
I'm not audiophile but I will say this.

  • I have no cracking or popping.
  • The audio sounds clear.
  • The audio doesn't seem to be as "strong" or robust as other boards but it is on board audio.
  • I'd argue it's "get the job done audio". If anyone has issues or concerns with audio on motherboards they should just buy sound cards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koniakki View Post

Well in my everyday normal usage using the audio onboard audio(S/PDIF(toslink) out to a LG 9.1 surround system) I haven't heard any audio crackling, buzzing or popping etc in either Youtube, movies/music or games so far. Fingers crossed.
tongue.gif


If there's a specific scenario which audio issues can be replicated/reproduce I would gladly check it out.
thumb.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clausewitz View Post

I'm not audiophile but I will say this.

  • I have no cracking or popping.
  • The audio sounds clear.
  • The audio doesn't seem to be as "strong" or robust as other boards but it is on board audio.
  • I'd argue it's "get the job done audio". If anyone has issues or concerns with audio on motherboards they should just buy sound cards.
Thank you, that's what I was looking for :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amd7674 View Post

Do you guys have any audio issues with your Asrock z370 boards?
No issues on my Z370 Gaming ITX Fatal1ty, drives my Sennheiser HD595 with ease.
Only strange thing is the headphone "Impedance detection" only works on the rear ports not the front, however it sounds fantastic on both and no noise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySpoons View Post

No issues on my Z370 Gaming ITX Fatal1ty, drives my Sennheiser HD595 with ease.
Only strange thing is the headphone "Impedance detection" only works on the rear ports not the front, however it sounds fantastic on both and no noise.
You could possibly try older or newer realtek audio drivers, but than again if ain't broken... . BTW... Thanks for the info.
thumb.gif


I'll be using the same HAF 922 case from my current ivy bridge [email protected] Therefore I know the front wiring is working properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdkj1740 View Post

gaming 5 mosfets seem to be the same as ultra gaming mosfets, except gaming 5 has dual inductors for a set of mosfets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post

It's a fixable issue on the Gaming 7. Any Gaming 7 with a monoblock should be unaffected by this "issue".

@ lb_felipe, I revised chart accordingly. I am curious why the K6 & Extreme4 were removed though. I've seen people on the hardwareluxx site with 5.2GHz AVX on the K6 & 5.1GHz AVX on the Extreme4 (https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f139/intel-coffee-lake-s-sockel-1151-oc-ergebnis-thread-kein-quatschthread-1178256.html). The K6 has 240W package power draw in Coretemp.

In other news I was looking at the datasheet for the doubler/dual driver (596Z = ISL6596) on Asrock's Fatal1ty Pro / Taichi / K6 / Extreme4 boards and it seems that the Fairchild mosfets would be more suitable given that the Sinopower mosfets have double rise / fall times of the dual driver (8ns).

Upon closer inspection of the Killer SLI's pictures on xfastest it seems that there are 3 small ICs, one of which near the top of the board is labeled "5AZ". This suggests that it is the ISL6625A is used in some form , though it is unclear in what way. The ISL95856 controller only allows for 4+3 phases. If it were doubled to 8 there should be 4 dual drivers / doublers. Since there's 11 chokes I highly doubt it would be 6+3 : 8+3 seems like the most likely setup.

The ISL6617 (Gaming 7) is less than 5ns rise/fall...
The ISL6625 on the Gigabyte Gaming 5 isn't that quick , it's about 30ns. That's why the 4C10N + 4C06N is at mercy of the dual driver as well. I suspect the use of the dual drivers on the front of the board lessens the thermal loads.

Upi's up1962 on the mid-end MSI boards appears to have 35ns "typical" rise time on the high/low channel with 45ns "max rising time , along with 20-30ns falling time. There's also a massive 40-65ns propagation delay.

If it's true that Asus uses Richtek's RT9624C: Richtek RT9624C seems around 25ns rise and 10-12ns fall time. Even though the Vishay SiRA14dp parts have ~ 8ns rise/fall "typical" and 16ns max they're not massively better than the 4c09+4c10 variant of Asus' Z370-A if the same dual driver is used. Seems the high gate propagation delay is 60ns.

It's puzzling that the Gaming 5 has outright better thermals than the Z370 STRIX boards. Perhaps part of that has to do with the use of the heatpiped heatsink on the Gaming 5. Having two times the heatsink to dissipate heat from, regardless of how the heatsink is, allows for even heat dispersion.

In retrospect I think the Taichi should be rated higher than the Fatal1ty Gaming Pro i7. The BIOs updates have been more timely for the Taichi and I have seen far fewer Taichi boards running the less lossy (in terms of low side RDS(on) only) but slower switching Sinopower variants.

----
TUF Pro Gaming review seems to run contrary to the Chinese one. 5.2GHz was obtained but the delta power consumption was about 167W, up from 97W delta power consumption at stock (all at the wall). However it's being tested on wprime and not Prime95 or AVX applications.
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_tuf_z370_pro_gaming_review,27.html
---> stock showed 98W peak power in wprime (per hwinfo), PSU is AX1200i: https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_tuf_z370_pro_gaming_review,8.html

TUF Plus looks to be using Vishay Sira14dp+Sira12dp (doubled low side)
http://blog.naver.com/digiji1/221145284775

another asrock Pro4 with NIKOs : http://blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=thereno03&logNo=221144616138

Gaming 5 review: https://news.xfastest.com/review/review-focus/43210/gigabyte-z370-aorus-gaming-5-review/
is there a problem with gaming 5 mosfets being the same ? which are the major differences at vrm?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amd7674 View Post

You could possibly try older or newer realtek audio drivers, but than again if ain't broken... . BTW... Thanks for the info.
thumb.gif


I'll be using the same HAF 922 case from my current ivy bridge [email protected] Therefore I know the front wiring is working properly.
My ITX is in a Phanteks Shift-X case, which doesn't have a front panel audio header, so fortunately for me working the wrong way round is actually beneficial to me
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashcz View Post

So if I can keep a FX CPU that's drawing 400W+ from the socket while using prime, I guess my cooling can handle 8700K?

Not bragging, just wondering if it's different with Intel.
The difference is that without delidding at-least the heat doesn't move as well from the die to the heat spreader.

Place an Oreo between your FX and cooler and retry and see what you can handle then ;D`
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknightz View Post

Yes the pic is indeed of chips next to the atx connectors. From what i'm gathering the vrm quality is really of significance if gunning for 5+ghz oc on an 8700k. As i am on a budget, the 8400 and possibly oc 8600k definitely won't be pushing the mobo components.

If this is the case, then it doesn't really matter to me exactly what chips are used. The k6 is roughly 160usd equivalent and all the other choices don't seem to come close to the price/performance ratio of this. Next best alternative is a gb gaming 7 at 195 - 205usd equivalent.

Perhaps will save the 40ish difference in mobo price and get an 8600k over the 8400.
Where is this with such good prices?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koniakki View Post

Well in my everyday normal usage using the audio onboard audio(S/PDIF(toslink) out to a LG 9.1 surround system) I haven't heard any audio crackling, buzzing or popping etc in either Youtube, movies/music or games so far. Fingers crossed.
tongue.gif


If there's a specific scenario which audio issues can be replicated/reproduce I would gladly check it out.
thumb.gif
Since you are using optical there's much less which could introduce those things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Is the Pro Carbon AC simply better than the M5?
The M5 cost more but it has less features and in the VRM list it list as 4 rather than 4x2 phases but I'm pretty sure MSI advertise it as 11 (4x2+3?)
The VRM in the table seem to be like whatever cheaper board had for the M5.
I can't understand why it's a more expensive board. Something on it should bet better then.. Or is it all the shrouds which make the price difference?

Strix F vs those? Still wish I had ordered Strix E or Pro Carbon AC before Or if it turned out ASRock LLC issues are fixed and if those would be better.

I did order a kit of 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3466 MHz CL16 of which some have Samsung B-die today. I could get the Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz CL16 or whatever it is for less (the one without B-die ships I think) but there's a bunch of both and Ripjaws at around the same price point. The Ripjaws are 5-10% cheaper because of lack of RGB. I don't know if Hynix B(R?) or whatever it's called and Samsung E and such even matter for Intel platform? Cheap price matter for me too ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,688 Posts
Hello!

I am planning on getting a 8700K setup as I've sold my 7820X setup.

I will be delidding and using a custom loop. MO-RA3 (3x420mm rads)

I was looking and the ASRock Extreme 4 as the price jump to the Taichi is 120 bucks.. (Norway..)

I will have a 120mm fan to cool the VRMs anyways, that's how my current setup is like.

I don't need fancy features nor will be using BCLK OCing. I like clean clocks.

Thank you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliquiswe View Post

The difference is that without delidding at-least the heat doesn't move as well from the die to the heat spreader.

Place an Oreo between your FX and cooler and retry and see what you can handle then ;D`
Where is this with such good prices?
Since you are using optical there's much less which could introduce those things.
These prices are in canada combined with coupons and mir. Microcenter has the gb 7 at 180usd plus tax atm if you are in the usa and lucky to live where they operate. Pretty solid deal imo
 

·
?ᎾᏟᎥᏁᎶ mᎪ Ꮑ1ᏢᏢᏞ3s ?
Joined
·
927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreedyMuffin View Post

Hello!

I am planning on getting a 8700K setup as I've sold my 7820X setup.

I will be delidding and using a custom loop. MO-RA3 (3x420mm rads)

I was looking and the ASRock Extreme 4 as the price jump to the Taichi is 120 bucks.. (Norway..)

I will have a 120mm fan to cool the VRMs anyways, that's how my current setup is like.

I don't need fancy features nor will be using BCLK OCing. I like clean clocks.

Thank you!
Absolutely recommending the Extreme 4 here, although the K6 for 200nok it worth a look too imo for the extra features it provides.

On a side note for the Extreme 4, personally coming from the Asus M8H, the overclocking options in Asrock Extreme 4 bios are quite, well, lets say underwhelming.

BUT, this board and the new system in whole, feels a lot more stable vs my previous 7700K/M8H with the same ram and all else. Just swapped mobo/cpu. Didn't even do a fresh install on the 950 PRO.

Can't pinpoint why, but it just works. No hassle, no troubles etc. Overclocking was a breeze even with the "limiting" bios options vs the M8H.

Very pleased and satisfied I went with Z370/CFL so far.
thumb.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Received my EVGA Z370 Micro, which is allegedly built for overclocking. I didn't bother to learn enough to be able to really interpret the quality of what I'm looking at, but I did rip off my heatsinks and do my best to get some pictures.





My room is fairly well lit and I was using a Pixel 2 to grab the photos, so that's about as good as I can get. It's REALLY hard to see what's on (what I think are) the actual VRMs. I can definitely see 4C10N and 4C05N MOSFETS from OnSemi. As for the VRMs themselves, I THINK I can see "88240" on them, but they're almost scratched off; I really couldn't read anything at any angle with any kind of light shine on it. Can anybody make sense of it/inform me I wasn't even in the right place? Alternatively, is there something that I could do to make them easier to read? All I did was pull off the heatsink with the thermal pad intact (never been turned on) and try and snap some pictures.

Side note: I really like the heat sinks. There are cutouts both on the top and on the sides/under the overhang that really increase the surface area, compared to something like the STRIX. I think they would be fairly effective.

Edit: Added a shot of the near-CPU/center motherboard heatsink when exposed, although I don't think there's anything else useful. But, just in case it helps determining how good this is.

Double Edit: I don't know if the 4C05N has made an appearance yet. Here's its datasheet. How does it compare to the 4C06N? I know enough to read and understand what the differences are, but I don't know enough about power regulation/computer power delivery to understand how the differences determine which one is better.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumsticks View Post

Received my EVGA Z370 Micro, which is allegedly built for overclocking. I didn't bother to learn enough to be able to really interpret the quality of what I'm looking at, but I did rip off my heatsinks and do my best to get some pictures.





My room is fairly well lit and I was using a Pixel 2 to grab the photos, so that's about as good as I can get. It's REALLY hard to see what's on (what I think are) the actual VRMs. I can definitely see 4C10N and 4C05N MOSFETS from OnSemi. As for the VRMs themselves, I THINK I can see "88240" on them, but they're almost scratched off; I really couldn't read anything at any angle with any kind of light shine on it. Can anybody make sense of it/inform me I wasn't even in the right place? Alternatively, is there something that I could do to make them easier to read? All I did was pull off the heatsink with the thermal pad intact (never been turned on) and try and snap some pictures.

Side note: I really like the heat sinks. There are cutouts both on the top and on the sides/under the overhang that really increase the surface area, compared to something like the STRIX. I think they would be fairly effective.

Edit: Added a shot of the near-CPU/center motherboard heatsink when exposed, although I don't think there's anything else useful. But, just in case it helps determining how good this is.

Double Edit: I don't know if the 4C05N has made an appearance yet. Here's its datasheet. How does it compare to the 4C06N? I know enough to read and understand what the differences are, but I don't know enough about power regulation/computer power delivery to understand how the differences determine which one is better.
very poor pics...try to take photos at 45 degrees with the flash light, zoom in a bit may help, like 20~30%.
vcore seems to be infineon bsg series.
 
1201 - 1220 of 4253 Posts
Top