Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've had Z490 Aorus Master and 10900k since June - no stability issues etc. (though I have not pushed it very hard yet).

Today, while ensuring that my graphics card was seated properly, I noticed that one of the solder joints on the back of the board looks 'squashed'. I doubt I damaged it while installing the board in the case months ago - it seems you need quite a lot of force to cause something like this and there is no sign of any other 'damage' and, considering the board has a backplate, I don't see how I could press it against part of the case with enough force to cause it. It almost looks like this one capacitator leg was soldered manually during qc of the board or something. The capacitator itself does not seem to move and is firm when I press it with my finger.

I've highlighted the capacitator that the solder joint belongs to. Also, please see the photos of the 'squashed' solder point/capacitator leg from different angles.

I am a bit OCD unfortunately - does it look to you like it could cause any issues or is this just aesthetic? Can it influence the capacitator/functionality of the board and if so, should I be looking for something in particular?

Thanks!

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,834 Posts
it's fine.

·
Optimal Pessimist
2,746 Posts
just aesthetic the solder flow looks fine.

·
Overclocker in training
13,954 Posts
Hi,
RMA department might care.

·
Optimal Pessimist
2,746 Posts
Not a thing you can place the blame on the consumer, kike bent CPU socket pins.

·
Optimal Pessimist
2,746 Posts
Solder cooling doesn't bend wire, It was the way ithe wire was cut ,

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, guys. Appreciate the prompt replies! I realize it was sort of a silly question.
Hi,
RMA department might care.
Yeah, I though about it too but as GeneO and speed_demon mentioned, I don't think they would. You can see that the shape and thickness of the solder around the wire is different. You can't do it e.g. by accidentally pushing the board against something. These capacitators seem to be mounted so firmy, you would probably just rip it from the mount if you applied enough force to bend the wire like this. Though I know some manufacturers will do anything to decline an RMA. Anyway, the board seems ok...

Attachments

·
Overclocker in training
13,954 Posts
Hi,
Thinking and knowing are two completely different points of view
Damage is damage I doubt it will go unnoticed, what they do with that is unknown until you have to rma said item.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Of course! No argument there. If they wanted to screw me over and decline my RMA over this, then I am sure they could.

Fortunately the board is ok, so I don't need to use my warranty. I assume the chances of this particular capacitator going bad in the future are next to none and if any other component failed in the future and they declined an RMA due to a bent solder point that left their factory like this, they would be just be vile. I am sure more boards like this passed qc.

Also, I would not call it damage when the board left the factory like this with the wire cut like that but there is still proper joint between the wire and the board.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts