Hello guys,

i7-4790K
Z97 GAMING 5
G.Skill TridentX DDR3 2133 PC3-17000 16GB 2x8GB CL9
Gigabyte gtx970 gaming G1
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Cooler Master G750M

I had 16gb and a week ago I decided to buy 16gb more.

I can put 24gb but when I try to put the 4th stick the PC sometimes restart repetly or try to start and blue screen death appears with errors like : DRIVE IRQ NOT LESS OR EQUAL or SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED... each time a different errorr.

I have done a memtest to each ram in each stick. All ok.
I can put 3 rams in slots 1 2 3 or 1 2 4 so the memory and the slots are ok.

I've formatted with w7 pro & w10pro but same problem.

I had a wifislax cd live and I can run it with 32gb.

I've updated bios, cleared CMOS and updated all drivers (mothersip, graphic...)

I tried like 15 hours to try to put 1 ram then 2 then 3 then 4 in all different situations, sticks, posibilities.Changing ram frequency, voltage, 9-9-9-24 to different numbers...

I dont know what I can do more... I'm so desperate. Why i can run it perfectly with 24gb and not 32gb?

Pls any help will be so grateful

Regards

·
Old guy with a computer
508 Posts
The memory controller sounds like its struggling with all 4 slots. Have you tried running the ram really slow? If so I'd probably do this next. Remove the CPU and make sure there arent any bent contact pins then reseat the CPU. If you still have the issue, then I'd go so far as to try swapping a different motherboard and CPU.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeusintheair View Post

Hello guys,

i7-4790K
Z97 GAMING 5
Gigabyte gtx970 gaming G1
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Cooler Master G750M

I had 16gb and a week ago I decided to buy 16gb more.

I can put 24gb but when I try to put the 4th stick the PC sometimes restart repetly or try to start and blue screen death appears with errors like : DRIVE IRQ NOT LESS OR EQUAL or SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED... each time a different errorr.

I have done a memtest to each ram in each stick. All ok.
I can put 3 rams in slots 1 2 3 or 1 2 4 so the memory and the slots are ok.

I've formatted with w7 pro & w10pro but same problem.

I had a wifislax cd live and I can run it with 32gb.

I've updated bios, cleared CMOS and updated all drivers (mothersip, graphic...)

I tried like 15 hours to try to put 1 ram then 2 then 3 then 4 in all different situations, sticks, posibilities.Changing ram frequency, voltage, 9-9-9-24 to different numbers...

I dont know what I can do more... I'm so desperate. Why i can run it perfectly with 24gb and not 32gb?

Pls any help will be so grateful

Regards
I assume this is the MSI Gaming 5 Z97? If so I have almost *exactly* your same cpu mobo mem combo. Afaik there are no 9-9-9-24 2133 ddr3, correct me if I'm wrong, but I have those same sticks and the timings are 9-11-11-31. I run 32gb at XMP profile #2 with forced 2133, with timings from the top down at cmdrate at 1, then 9-11-10-28. This is the lowest I could go at this speed, stable.

Something you could try is under the Super IO config, set serial COM settings to the alt with several ';'s.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hellos guys,

I'm so frustrated. I didnt change any value in bios and now I can't set 2 RAMS!

When I try to put more than 1 stick the pc doesn't boot.

I restarted default values I did some photos. Maybe you can help me.

I dont know about OC and dont know exactly what SA values I should put more voltage or If I can damage the pc.

https://imgur.com/a/USBJu

I have CPU SA/IOA/IOD voltage mode "manual mode" by default. I can change to offset mode. I have both screens

Regards.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
i'd reset all bios settings to default. try 2 sticks in adjacent ram slots (slots 1,2 or slots 3,4) so they are running in single channel memory mode. Make sure there is no xmp profile enabled and they are running at the default 1600/1333MHz speed with default timings. Then try running 2 in dual channel mode using same color slots. If all is good, try all 4 again (make sure all bios settings are default)

If that isn't working, it sounds like your memory controller is kaput. If so, i would ask if the CPU is delided. I delided my old 3570k via the razor method and somehow did some super fine scratch that caused erratic BSOD when using memory in dual channel. Single channel mode had 0 issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello,

As i said in last reply I resetted default bios and tried 1 memory 1333hz default speed as you can check in screens xmp is disabled.

Then when I try now to put 1 more stick It doesn't boot...

It's so frustrating. Some daysa go chaning rams to 1 2 3 4 after 1 hour I could had 3 sticks (24GB ram) and did like 10 restarts and the PC was ok.
The problem was when I tried to put 1 more stick up to 32 GB or when I tried to remove 1 stick.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeusintheair View Post

Hello,

As i said in last reply I resetted default bios and tried 1 memory 1333hz default speed as you can check in screens xmp is disabled.

Then when I try now to put 1 more stick It doesn't boot...

It's so frustrating. Some daysa go chaning rams to 1 2 3 4 after 1 hour I could had 3 sticks (24GB ram) and did like 10 restarts and the PC was ok.
The problem was when I tried to put 1 more stick up to 32 GB or when I tried to remove 1 stick.
Try turning DRAM timing mode to 'LINK' and Mem fast boot to forced OFF

Set XMP to profile 1 and DRAM freq to Auto, DRAM Volt forced to 1.60 (1.65 if that doesn't boot!). Now check the advanced DRAM config page and make sure all are set to AUTO. Also does that CPU Memory Changed Detect have an AUTO setting? I don't recall... try AUTO if it does.

About the offset vs manual and such, I had a terrible time with offset, and the same with some things under digipower, the 4790k would heat up crazy fast under sudden load spikes because of the power draw settings. I have auto or manual for everything iirc

Also go through the manual and follow the DRAM install order, just in case. Personally I have a huge cooler so getting some of the sticks out is a pain.... but I needed to a couple of times when I had issues with Bios updates.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts