Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Personally, i like the zalman better because it helps the airflow in ur case alot more than the TTBT.
But what are your opinions? Which one do you like best and how far do they let you push your processor? Which one of these do you think is best?

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmay7

Personally, i like the zalman better because it helps the airflow in ur case alot more than the TTBT.
But what are your opinions? Which one do you like best and how far do they let you push your processor? Which one of these do you think is best?

The Tt is the better of the two, but the best edges out to the Scythe Ninja but a few degrees.
This review sums it all up.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
i love my 9500. the reason i bought it is because it pushes the air straight to my 120mm exhaust fan in the back of my case. a big typhoon just pushes it down over the motherboard... it's still a great cooler though. both of them are.

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun

The Tt is the better of the two, but the best edges out to the Scythe Ninja but a few degrees.
This review sums it all up.

ok, but i just asked for your opinion, dont need any more reviews

EDIT: and according to that review of yours the Z9500 actually performs better ^^

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tobuk

i love my 9500. the reason i bought it is because it pushes the air straight to my 120mm exhaust fan in the back of my case. a big typhoon just pushes it down over the motherboard... it's still a great cooler though. both of them are.

i agree. I was suprised over the great temperatures (27 idle and 33 load) although i have a fairly small overclock. I thought that it was a bad cooler bcause the fan wasnt blowing at the cpu, but what do you know, it REALLY helps on the load temps... My old load temps were about 10C higher than idle, on this one its about 5-6, so on higher overclocks i would use a 9500

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh, i almost forgot, another reason why i got the 9500 because the 9500 weighed 595 grams, while the TTBT weighed almost 1kg, and my mobo suggested nothing more that 600 grams

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
Quote:

EDIT: and according to that review of yours the Z9500 actually performs better ^^

If you are going for pure performace. The Tt is only a little behind, but it is quieter. If you wanted performance, add a high speed fan to the Typhoon.

·
Registered
459 Posts
i went with the 9500 as well, because of performance and weight concerns. it also helped that it pointed straight to the exhaust fan of my P180 as Tobuk mentioned, and i had another 120 fan on top pointed straight down the side of it. it's also quiet when you want it to be.

my only gripe is that i couldn't hook it up to my fan controller since the only Y adapters i found had were 2 males.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/images/produ...ol/ZM-MFC1.jpg

http://www.overclockersclub.com/imag...back-small.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Big Typhoon has the advantage of blowing air on MOSFETs and RAM sticks, so it helps to keep cool these devices too.

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun

If you are going for pure performace. The Tt is only a little behind, but it is quieter. If you wanted performance, add a high speed fan to the Typhoon.

but then its noisy! Then you could just go for the z9500

Quote:

Originally Posted by eiger

Big Typhoon has the advantage of blowing air on MOSFETs and RAM sticks, so it helps to keep cool these devices too.

although cooling for these devices can be added easily WITHOUT adding extra weight on ur mobo

has anyone actually experienced a damage on their mobo here bcause of a too heavy cooler?

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
No damage, just bad contact. When the cooler is hefty and the motherboard is mounted in a case, it can sometimes cause the heatsink to not make full contact with the die.

The review that was linked was unimpressive by far...my arctic silencer produces better temps in a crappier case.

And if I can run a toasty processor at ridiculously high voltages and burn-in temps only reach 47 degC (on an XP120)...I have to second guess the validity of the review.

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
ya the review isnt trust worthy IMO, and the TT is heavy, but when mounted correctly and if your MOBO is mounted correctly as well, there wont be any issues with its size or wieght...im all for the BT!

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbasil1

ya the review isnt trust worthy IMO, and the TT is heavy, but when mounted correctly and if your MOBO is mounted correctly as well, there wont be any issues with its size or wieght...im all for the BT!

ofcourse, but why would both zalman and the mobo companies warn you strongly not to use heavy coolers? ^^ although if youre computer is still at home it will probably be perfectly fine but if you transport it alot..well...

also, why i didnt buy the TTBT was that maximum fan RPM was 1000 rpm or sth like that... the zalman includes a fan mate 2 which lets you go up to 2400 rpm, but it still cools great at minimum..this is what i found a bit disappointing with the TTBT, it didnt have that extra cooling push for those who wanted it

·
Banned
658 Posts
Ok I have a the BT and a silverstone 103 CFM fan and my temps hover around 23C idle and about 30C load. But the biggest thing to cause a difference in temps was the side panel fan.

Quote:

also, why i didnt buy the TTBT was that maximum fan RPM was 1000 rpm or sth like that... the zalman includes a fan mate 2 which lets you go up to 2400 rpm, but it still cools great at minimum..this is what i found a bit disappointing with the TTBT, it didnt have that extra cooling push for those who wanted it

Thats why you can just buy a fan that will still come in cheaper than the 9500 and get better performance.

·
Banned
60 Posts
The Big T is the way to go. I mean, you can pull off the fan and use it as an exhaust fan, and get a higher cfm fan wit ha controller on there, and it will cool even better. With the stock fan my 3700 runs at about 22c and hardly ever goes to 30c even with full load.

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
ya but the funny thing is... that the low speed fan on the BT still out performs the zalman at high speed....lol and its quieter! so if you want even better then spend $10 more and get a ghigher flow fan w/ a controller...

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cool, so you can actually safely switch the stock fan and get better performance? thats cool ;D
a local norwegian casemod store has this SICK 120mm fan, with 3 rotating blades, its 330 m3 per sec...i dunno how many CFM that is, but its 65DB

i would love mounting one of those on a BT ^^

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
lol um that will make your case sound like a jet engine!!!!lol but ya the BT is the way to go...hands down... no arguments whatsoever! im gettin one soon myself and mounting the 120cfm fan i already have in my case on it

·
Registered
90 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by eiger

I don't know how or why but since I installed the BT my GPU temps are down by 6 degrees. I'm thinking it might be becaue the BT is acting as a HS for the rising heat coming up off of the graphics card. Hey, I'll take it anyway I can get it!

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xr6vn9z

I don't know how or why but since I installed the BT my GPU temps are down by 6 degrees. I'm thinking it might be becaue the BT is acting as a HS for the rising heat coming up off of the graphics card. Hey, I'll take it anyway I can get it!

shibby!!! ya ever since i installed my stock HSF my temps have been sky high!!! LOL!

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok, so id say that BT owns in cpu temps BUT.. with my stock cooler on i had 32C as case temp... with my zalman on, blowing the warm cpu air STRAIGHT out to another fan that blows straight out in my room, my case temps went down to like 19 ;D thats where the z9500 just owns

1 - 20 of 30 Posts