Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may seem like a stupid question but I have to ask.

I just got an Opteron 165 boxed CPU. It comes with an AMD cooler that has heat pipes. I already have a CNPS7000B-Cu cooler from my current setup on an Athlon XP-M. I know the Zalman cooler is a great cooler but which one will offer the best perfomance right now.

I will get another cooler when I plan on OCing the CPU.

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
639 Posts
the zalman will get you better temps. Stock coolers are usually made cheaply and crappaly. Unless the cooler you have is from 1997 (you know what i mean) then I would go with the upgrade retail cooler.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You may be surprised at the performance of the stock cooler if it is the one with the heat pipes.

proper installation and AS5 or better is going to be key.

you might want to give it a try.

The thing that I really dislike about the stock coolers is the narrow spacing between the HS fins that can clog with dust very quickly causing temps to skyrocket.

This is the advantage of the Zalman coolers IMO.

This is obviously not a problem if you keep your rig immaculate but face it, dust is everywhere, there is really no practical way to avoid it.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Actually the new coolers for the 165 Opteron and up(FX,X2) have 4 heatpipes and perform VERY well. The temps were really close to the XP-90 in one of the reviews.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts