Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to buy a cpu cooler for my opteron right now and ive been looking at the TT Big Typhoon because ive heard a lot of good things about it.

i know this sounds kind of noobish, but im going for a blue theme for my pc. i have a couple blue LED fans and saw the Zalman CNPS7000B with a really nice blue glow to it. its also cheaper then the Typhoon which is nice, and my load temps are about 52C with a stock cooler.

long story short:
would i be ok with the Zalman CNPS7000B or should i get the Typhoon instead? i did a search on the forums and all i saw were people with trouble seating it and stuff. anyone out there with positive experiences? thanks!

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blazin-asian

im looking to buy a cpu cooler for my opteron right now and ive been looking at the TT Big Typhoon because ive heard a lot of good things about it.

i know this sounds kind of noobish, but im going for a blue theme for my pc. i have a couple blue LED fans and saw the Zalman CNPS7000B with a really nice blue glow to it. its also cheaper then the Typhoon which is nice, and my load temps are about 52C with a stock cooler.

long story short:
would i be ok with the Zalman CNPS7000B or should i get the Typhoon instead? i did a search on the forums and all i saw were people with trouble seating it and stuff. anyone out there with positive experiences? thanks!

I've never used the big typhoon, but I love my CNPS7000, it runs fine, quiet, and cool.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ah....lone136. smart. i never even thought about that. but do i wanna spend the extra money and wait for another fan? hmm.........

m|dg3t:

are you overclocking at all? what are your load temps? im buying this cooler with the intention of getting 3.0 GHz w/ my opty

·
Registered
901 Posts
I would if I were you. The Big T is the best out there right now and if you are going to overclock get the best and the big T is the best air cooling you can get at this time

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good point. i think id rather have a faster computer then a blue led. lol. i can always buy the fan later on. thanks again. you guys are awesome.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just out of interest blazin-asian, is your opty at 2.9 100% stable?? I.e. Have you carried out tests in prime95 superpi and left it running for 24hrs or so break in to confirm this?

I've just ordered an opty and am also hoping to break or at least hit the 3.0GhZ barrier...(and I'm getting a Big Typhoon
)

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blazin-asian

ah....lone136. smart. i never even thought about that. but do i wanna spend the extra money and wait for another fan? hmm.........

m|dg3t:

are you overclocking at all? what are your load temps? im buying this cooler with the intention of getting 3.0 GHz w/ my opty

I'm running it at 2.4ghz stable from 2.0, [going to go for the 2.5 mark] load temp about 36*F and idle at 22-29*Fdepending on room temp (florida).

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeijin

Just out of interest blazin-asian, is your opty at 2.9 100% stable?? I.e. Have you carried out tests in prime95 superpi and left it running for 24hrs or so break in to confirm this?

I've just ordered an opty and am also hoping to break or at least hit the 3.0GhZ barrier...(and I'm getting a Big Typhoon
)

its pretty stable right now @ 2.9. ive run 3dMark05 and SuperPI 32M with success. im going to be at my gfs for 2 days so i left Prime95 running until then. i had my roommate check it about 12 hours after i left and it seems to still be stable.

the optys are kind of hit and miss depending on what stepping you have. if you can score an CABYE then you are definately in business. but mine is known to hit 2.6-2.8 easily. here is my CPUZ if u are interested:

i lowered my vcore to about 1.4v (shows up as 1.5v in CPUZ), but i havent uploaded the newer screenshot so ignore the high voltage

you might want to check out this thread to get an idea of what i did to get these speeds. the people on this forum are freakin awesome.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
coolers dont make that much of a difference in the final overclock. Get the 7000 if you like the looks of it, and its a great cooler also. The difference wont be much between the 2 coolers, the main thing is just getting a good one.
The zalman 9500 and 7000 are great coolers. The big typhoon is a great cooler. To just buy the BT for the hope of getting an extra 50 mhz, isn't worth it.
I had the option to buy whatever, I went with what I liked the most. Not for the cooling....the cooling is so close on all of them, just pick what you like..

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i went ahead and got the TT Big Typoon anyways. it was a little more expensive and i have to take the mb out to install it, but i have to remove the mb anyways to apply thermal paste to the chipset once i get my AS5.

if anything, i can get the blue LED fan afterwards. not a big deal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My Zalaman CPNS9500LED cools reallygood, i really trust zalman coolers there so well made, but on the other hand thermaltake are very good and i buy alot from them. Big T will cool just fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts