Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all; which one is the best cooler for a Nvidia 6800 AGP card? Note that the NV Silencer 5 I'm looking at is Rev 2, not Rev 3 ($10 cheaper and I don't see much difference in them). I'm leaning towards the NV Silencer because it eliminates the heat generated by the card directly outside the case, through a PCI slot opening.

Also, how would I take off the stock RAM sinks that came with the card if I wanted to install the NV silencer?

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
I would get the Zalman.

Now as how to take the old HS off. Start with the top most tiny screws and start removing them. its like a puzzle. Just keep going until it comes off. don't force anything. Its not hard, and once you get going it will be easy.
Make sure you get a zip lock bag to put all the parts in, just in case you need to put it back on in the future for RMA purposes.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash

I would get the Zalman.

Now as how to take the old HS off. Start with the top most tiny screws and start removing them. its like a puzzle. Just keep going until it comes off. don't force anything. Its not hard, and once you get going it will be easy.
Make sure you get a zip lock bag to put all the parts in, just in case you need to put it back on in the future for RMA purposes.

No I meant how to take off the RAM sinks, not the core heatsink. The RAM sinks are thermal glued to the memory modules, so I don't know if I should try to force it off by lifting it or something.

·
Premium Member
5,703 Posts
Well if thats the case, get the Zalman and leave the RAM sinks on the graphics card lol. Not much difference between ramsinks.

Any by Zalman I mean the new VF900, check their site its quite impressive.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Remonster

Well if thats the case, get the Zalman and leave the RAM sinks on the graphics card lol. Not much difference between ramsinks.

Wait, so are you saying I will not be able to get the stock RAM sinks off??

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Remonster

do you know where you can get that cooler?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I have an NV5 on my 6800ultra and its great, the ldle temp is around the same as stock but under load it never goes above 70.c (22.c room temp)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Im still trying to decide on 2 x vf900 or 2 x rev3. I mean the AC looks like it filters the air out better, but the Zalman has a great cooling system too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts