Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
An international cybercrime investigation is underway into a sophisticated scam network that left a Western Australian man half a million dollars out of pocket when criminals sold his Perth investment property using stolen credentials.
Source

Ummm....wow...

o_O that's taking scamming to a whole new level.

·
Premium Member
7,040 Posts
That's new. Least people may be more careful with their email now, but wouldn't they have to have seen him to sell it?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Quote:
Real Estate Institute of Western Australia (REIWA) spokesperson Brian Greig said that the transactions were made via email, telephone and fax, without "interpersonal connections" with the legitimate owner.
That is the part that bugs me. I mean I cannot even get a parcel shipped to me without signing for it.

Anyway this is a pretty elaborate scam. May have taken a while to scheme up but it is interesting to see just what kind of loop holes people can find if they try hard enough.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
OMG! Carmen Sandiego is real!

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Sadly, similar things like this happen all the time.

I was reading about a family here in Ontario who had a bunch of property they had lived on and farmed for years. Eventually sold the majority of it off to a religious group who opened a teen ranch. After many years of the religious group using the surrounding area, they eventually started using the lot the family had kept to themselves and now there's a court battle over it since the religious group claimed squatters rights because the family hadn't been there for years.

So now it's up to the courts to decide who gets the land, despite the fact the family has legal documents showing they owned it and been paying taxes on that small piece they still have.

Laws only get revised once someone finds a loop hole in it, it's not like a computer program where they can BETA test the law for bugs and loop holes.

EDIT: Here's a link to a news paper article about what I talked about above if anyone is interested.

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/196740

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I'd sooooo violate the TOS if I commented on the church thing.

As to Aus. gentleman...wow, just wow. Unbelievable that this can actually happen with no proof of i.d., authenticated signature, or anything. I'd be hunting right now in the same situation, and not for a new house.

·
Dream with your eyes open
3,837 Posts
Well that is sad....

Oh well... I know I am not letting anyone steal my stuff, and I am going to set up my own Email server, so this way, no one can steal anything of mine

1 - 7 of 7 Posts