Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by source
I believe it is unlikely that we will end up using powerful, expandable systems with large amounts of localized processing and storage in ten years. Much, if not all of the things we think about as "localized" computing resources will be instead distributed into the Cloud
Source

I know some of you might hate this concept and base your comments solely on the title of the article, but I encourage you to actually read at the source. The focus of the article is not on power users or niche markets, but more the common person. With the advent of high speed networks (such as LTE) and other wireless technologies that promise higher speeds, and promising technologies such as Google glass, the major inhibitor to something like this will be mobile providers upgrading their networks and removing caps/limits. I can see a lot of good from this, although as with everything with the good will come some bad

·
Banned
2,116 Posts
OK. Maybe. But using my phone as a game controller that actually works better be an option. And I better get either wireless video to a large TV of sorts, or glasses.

Though I don't see desktops dying. The hardware will always be cheaper and much more powerful. They may become less common, though

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
I read the article but I still disagree. The common person is on the go, and does not have unlimited mobile internet. Unless that changes, things will stay localized.

As far as I am concerned, cloud storage is the best thing since sliced bread, as long as I still have local access.

As for running 'apps' in the cloud, who is going to pay for that processing? Its hard to compete with the 'free' local processing...

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
No. Just not gonna happen. They've been saying cloud would be all for years, and for over a decade the desktop has been pronounced dead over and over but it's still going.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis View Post

No. Just not gonna happen. They've been saying cloud would be all for years, and for over a decade the desktop has been pronounced dead over and over but it's still going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMPSONATOR View Post

Once again, I bring back the argument:
200 years ago, if you told people we would reach the moon, they would have said "No way"
Or flying, or driving cars, or machine guns, or skyscrapers, or *insert any technological advance here*

·
PC Evangelist
47,498 Posts
Most people will not have PC but they will have displays with processing power. Also there will be those people that will have supercomputers to hack the world
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Yes and No.

I have 0 coverage when I am at my desk at work, or visiting one of my family members. So, that would mean that my phone is worthless. In 2023, I'm sure both areas will have coverage, but would probably running a slower connection, thus the latency and everything will still give a poor experience. Not to mention when you consider how much power is required for these wireless modules, yes battery technology will get better, but it still takes a toll.

Intel has a roadmap set for a 5nm die by 2022. If they need to do photon or quantum computing after that, then this will be a lot more prevalent.

To me, "Ghost in the Shell" does the best depiction of technology in the future.

PS. My brother gave me an iPad 3 years, I didnt care for it untill i found a way to remote into my desktop, then all its limitations were gone. So i do somewhat agree with this article.

·
Linux > All
1,681 Posts
This won't happen for people even remotely rural. There is zero motivation to cover everyone. I was told over 13 years ago that dsl would be available at my parents house in 6 months... still not available. If they think that cloud will take over they are sorely mistaken as a very large part, at least in the US doesn't have access to reasonable broadband or wireless stuff. I only live 4-5 miles outside of the "city" and in a very populated area and can't get any decent internet or wireless signal regardless of carriers I've tried. And there is no motivation to expand their services either. Many people are going to get left out of this so called cloud revolution and that will be bad for everyone. Real computers (i.e. Desktops and such) are here to stay. At least until the monopoly isp's and wireless providers realize that they should be covering everyone.

·
Registered
795 Posts
No matter what my PC in 2023 will have a keyboard and mouse, no touchscreen will ever be as productive as a keyboard

·
PC Evangelist
47,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty5569 View Post

No matter what my PC in 2023 will have a keyboard and mouse, no touchscreen will ever be as productive as a keyboard
I will be typing with my mid
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Technology DOES advance and change, but some things are common sense. Look at the QWERTY keyboard. Invented in 1878, STILL in use. If something works it doesn't ALWAYS have to change for the sake of change. After all, our PHONES, which lack a physical keyboard most of the time, use QWERTY. I don't feel safe leaving my stuff in the cloud, never will. And I certainly would be upset if a down internet connection meant I couldn't even play single player stuff like Skyrim or Civlization. And that's just me. I get people all the time at my work who don't have internet, don't want internet. These forecasts are usually wrong in some major way, because while they may think "Look at this trend!" the trend usually doesn't follow through because of cost benefit simply not being there, or the research shifting because of a higher profit potential research path.

·
Politically incorrect
9,464 Posts
Cloud? Megaupload! LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts