Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
771on775 user,Complainer
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Because some internet websites unfairly block browsers from accessing their services, starting with Vivaldi 2.10, released today, the Vivaldi browser plans to disguise itself as Chrome to allow users to access websites that unfairly block them.
Vivaldi will do this by modifying its default user-agent (UA) string to the UA string used by Chrome.
A UA string is a piece of text that browsers send to websites when they initiate a connection. The UA String contains data about the browser type, rendering engine, and operating system.
Source

·
Overclocker in training
12,904 Posts
Stopping tracking is one thing, but blocking website ads is like stopping them from breathing. If you visit websites with adblockers (not privacy blockers), you are verifiably harming the websites you frequent and claim to enjoy.
Hi,
That's really funny :lachen:

·
771on775 user,Complainer
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stopping tracking is one thing, but blocking website ads is like stopping them from breathing. If you visit websites with adblockers (not privacy blockers), you are verifiably harming the websites you frequent and claim to enjoy.
Funny,FireFox WITH an Adblocker still works just fine on the sites in question. While Edge (with no adblocker) has issues with some pages. Next excuse?:gotproof:

·
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁
8,392 Posts
Lots of people are known to do this because webdevs sadly are more often than not just chromedevs.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
They all can go to hell for all I care. Even more when the actual content is created by their users.

Overclock.net for example.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,146 Posts
They all can go to hell for all I care. Even more when the actual content is created by their users.

Overclock.net for example.

so the domain and server space is free or are the users responsible for that too?

not disagreeing, I block ads everywhere. Just playing devil's advocate.

·
Overclocker in training
12,904 Posts
Hi,
Someone lied to websites and said people like animated popup adds every few lines and sidebars with them too
It's like website owner don't even visit their own sites or are just stupid.

Not to mention these owners don't monitor the add content they host and they get corrupt as bad as yahoo :D

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I ad block everything at first. If I tend to visit a site often, I will usually try and disable ad block on that website and if the ads aren't too invasive and in your face, will leave it off. The moment I get a pop-up ad, that site is dead to me anyway so I don't care if it can breath or not.

Other sites that I know are data mining me like Youtube for example, gets ad blocked permanently as well. And before you get all angsty about "but the content creators cut!", well that's why things like patreon exist along with sponsors and ads within the video themselves which the content creators get all the proceeds from, not just a small fraction.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Waterfox doesn't work for the local education website. If they would just let it run instead of blocking it, things would work fine. I'm against websites blocking specific browsers. Chrome seems to be using their dominate position to shove others out of the market.

·
Still here...
2,825 Posts
I loved Bitcoin miners during the time it was next to impossible to find reasonably priced (e.g., at msrp) psus, gpus, etc. Now that popular toilets outlets like B&H, Newegg, and Amazon are jacking up prices of the latest and greatest under the guise of supply and demand, I love them all even more (must be a Pavlov thing).

I love data miners even more:

2019-12-21_12-12-09.jpg

I feel influenced ;)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Waterfox doesn't work for the local education website. If they would just let it run instead of blocking it, things would work fine. I'm against websites blocking specific browsers. Chrome seems to be using their dominate position to shove others out of the market.
What's amazing to me is how quickly people forgot how Chrome even introduced Chrome. When Chrome first came out, people were outraged at the marketing tactics they were using. They were absolutely shoving it down everyone's throats. You couldn't go onto a single Google-owned site without half the page being taken up by scary warnings that made it seem like you wouldn't be able to access G-Mail or go on YouTube without Chrome. At one point, everything from Adobe Flash to Open-Source freeware utilities were coming packaged with a Chrome installer. I would help non-tech people with their computers, ask them when they installed chrome, and the response was always "I don't know, it just showed up one day so I started using it!".

It was absolutely disgusting and frightening how aggressively Google pushed Chrome onto almost everyone. Then after a few years of that, once Chrome was the dominant browser, most people seemed to forget how Chrome even go into that position in the first place. It baffles me that Microsoft got shat-on for bundling IE with Windows, but Google gets a free-pass to do the same thing because "they're the good guys with the funny sounding name!"

·
771on775 user,Complainer
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What's amazing to me is how quickly people forgot how Chrome even introduced Chrome. When Chrome first came out, people were outraged at the marketing tactics they were using. They were absolutely shoving it down everyone's throats. You couldn't go onto a single Google-owned site without half the page being taken up by scary warnings that made it seem like you wouldn't be able to access G-Mail or go on YouTube without Chrome. At one point, everything from Adobe Flash to Open-Source freeware utilities were coming packaged with a Chrome installer. I would help non-tech people with their computers, ask them when they installed chrome, and the response was always "I don't know, it just showed up one day so I started using it!".

It was absolutely disgusting and frightening how aggressively Google pushed Chrome onto almost everyone. Then after a few years of that, once Chrome was the dominant browser, most people seemed to forget how Chrome even go into that position in the first place. It baffles me that Microsoft got shat-on for bundling IE with Windows, but Google gets a free-pass to do the same thing because "they're the good guys with the funny sounding name!"

It's Googles websites that are treating other Chromium based browsers the same way STILL. Go to Google .com and the search bar text are out of alignment while google docs tells you you need to update to the latest ver.of chrome even though BOTH browsers are based on the SAME ver of Chromium. ;) Microsoft DID get shafted over internet explorer to open the door for other browsers,now the predominant company of the "other browser" is giving everyone else the shaft.Ironic to say the least.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
so the domain and server space is free or are the users responsible for that too?

I could possibly make allowances for the original owner who expended some time and effort building a site from nothing, once they've cashed out and sold it on as an add spamming for profit concern (and they've all either cashed out or given up) then I don't owe anything.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
5,962 Posts
Well if a website forces me to use a different browser or disable my adblocker. Their content isn't worth my time. I just won't use their site.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts

When I was in an anime fansub (a pretty successful one at that) the ~10 members paid for the hosting, seeding box/Perfect Dark server and a XDCC bot on our IRC channel. We even paid from our own pockets rare BDs and DVDs that we couldn't find in PD (you were worth it Princess Tutu). It was something like 10 € each a month.

We invested endless hours of translating, editing, QCing, encoding and managing the site and then we paid for all the above because that was what we liked.

So no. I don't think oc.net being a forum should have neither ads or a professional staff.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,146 Posts
Well if a website forces me to use a different browser or disable my adblocker. Their content isn't worth my time. I just won't use their site.

what website forces you to use a certain browser? I know some like the refresh rate test tells you that IE doesn't support some features and to use Firefox or a Chromium browser but I can't remember the last time a website blocked access because of my browser.

regardless there are extensions to get around the adblock "traps" (Anti-Adblock) and there are extensions to make your browser report being another browser (User-Agent Switcher) and with some fiddling you can have them set to auto-enable via refresh when needed while otherwise being disabled.

·
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱
6,070 Posts

Harming websites is my favorite pastime then :)

·
Graphics Junkie
2,468 Posts
This is a childish opinion. Adblock prevents about as many viruses as any anti virus program will. Websites take ads way too far, and they have other ways to make money than simply a bunch of banner ads all over. There's lots of different ways to advertise online that adblock would have nothing to do with.

Adblock is the answer to over bearing and intrusive ads online. Everyone should use it.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I ad block everything at first. If I tend to visit a site often, I will usually try and disable ad block on that website and if the ads aren't too invasive and in your face, will leave it off. The moment I get a pop-up ad, that site is dead to me anyway so I don't care if it can breath or not.

Other sites that I know are data mining me like Youtube for example, gets ad blocked permanently as well. And before you get all angsty about "but the content creators cut!", well that's why things like patreon exist along with sponsors and ads within the video themselves which the content creators get all the proceeds from, not just a small fraction.

Same.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts