Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if I can have a 16GB (8x2) kit and 32GB (16x2) kit installed on the motherboard or must both kits be the same amount of memory?

They would both be Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 PC-24000 C15.

I was going to get another 32GB but they have gone up in price significantly since I did my Ryzen 1800X build. I bought the 32GB kit back in March 2017 for $269.99 and now they are $399.99
mad.gif

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
if you don't want issues, get one binned kit at the speed and size you want.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
When people talk about mixed memory, they are not referring to"
Memory size
Memory speed
Memory timings

What you don't want to mix are the IC's (the small black squares on the memory sticks). They should all be the same. The problem is that you don't know what ICs are on sticks thet you buy until after you open up the package and either:
Remove the heat spreaders and read the printing on the ICs ,or install the and use software to read the ICs part number.

Corsair in one of the few manufacturers that will let you know what IC they used on specific modules. A change in ICs in noted bi a new "Rev #". They did it for DDR3 but, alas, not for DDR4. So, it's trying to find it on forums like this.

That's not saying that mixing memory won't work, just that you have no idea if it will work until you try. Sometimes you casn get it to work by manually setting timings in the BIOS, but that usually results in reduced performance, as all the memory has to run at the slowest timings of any stick installed..

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohms View Post

I'm looking on the web to see what the IC are.I
That won't won't work. Manufacturers randomly change the ICs they use on any particular memory part number. They purchase the ICs based on supply and demand (ie Price). So the memory you buy on Tuesday may have different IC than the memory you buy on Wednesday - even though they are the exact same part number.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

That won't won't work. Manufacturers randomly change the ICs they use on any particular memory part number. They purchase the ICs based on supply and demand (ie Price). So the memory you buy on Tuesday may have different IC than the memory you buy on Wednesday - even though they are the exact same part number.
So the only way to see what ICs my RAM has is to take the heatsinks off then?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormfirebird View Post

You could try http://www.softnology.biz/files.html but that still won't help with buying.
Thank you tons! I have Hynix ICs. Now I guess I can try and buy that 32GB (16x2) kit and test them out; Microcenter is very good about their return policy.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
There's also RamMon. It's safer for nOObs as it can't rewrite SPD tables, only read them

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormfirebird View Post

You're still stuck at dual channel with that setup.
Do you truly need more RAM?
Yes.

Dual channel will force the data across the infinity fabric link twice, resulting in a dramatic increase in memory access latency. ThreadRipper requires the use of quad channel memory.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't think you know what you are talking about.
In order to run in quad channel mode, you need the same ammount of ram in either channel. It's simply not possible with 2x16+2x8

1 - 14 of 14 Posts