Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
News Junkie
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
With all the excitement about Japan's soaring stock market (if plunging wages), crashing non-digital currency (leading to soaring energy prices), recent passage of an arbitrary secrecy bill ("Designed by Kafka & Inspired By Hitler"), and ongoing territorial spat with China, it is almost as if the Abe administration is desperately doing everything in its power, including some of the most ridiculous decisions taken by a government in recent history, to hide some key development behind the scenes. Such as this one perhaps: NHK reported today that TEPCO said radiation levels are extremely high in an area near a ventilation pipe at the crippled ***ushima Daiichi nuclear power plant. TEPCO found radiation of 25 sieverts an hour on a duct, which connects reactor buildings and the 120-meter-tall ventilation pipe.

Putting this number in context the estimated radiation level is the highest ever detected outside reactor buildings. People exposed to this level of radiation would die within 20 minutes.
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-12-07/highest-radiation-level-ever-lethal-20-minutes-recorded-outside-***ushima-reactor

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
so sad. i love japan and there pride, but damn, sometimes they put their pride above all else, which has failed them before (WWII).

·
Registered
834 Posts
Just needs to be done already. From every report I've ever read on ***ushima things are only getting (much) worse and no headway is happening with getting it contained. There doesn't even seem to be a plan with getting it fixed or contained.

·
Premium Member
10,291 Posts
yeah it is the dose one would acquire working with radiation over a course of 50 years (by norm) wich would result in a 5% extra chance of getting cancer (1 sievert but the chance is actually lower of course)
But it isn't that high as highest radiation lever ever it is just sensationalist title being sensationalist at VSL Delfs we have a huge Isotope that kills you within a minute or so and the fusion reactor's heat protective shielding are that same amount of radioactive. Those things are replaced by robots because humans can't work with it unless the source is encased or shielded.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Just think, with all this radiation Godzilla might actually become a thing...

·
News Junkie
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Poindexter View Post

I think 5 is all it takes to kill you, but death would take a few days. I don't think you'd die in 20 minutes.
Easy there, Fox News.
I despise them all equally.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Poindexter View Post

I think 5 is all it takes to kill you, but death would take a few days. I don't think you'd die in 20 minutes.
Yeah, 5 from exposure. This will drop you dead in 20, this is no joke, the world leaders should do something about this!

·
Iconoclast
32,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddworld Abe View Post

the world leaders should do something about this!
There is already considerable pressure on Japan to straighten their crap out.

What more do you want? A military invasion?

Also, why the focus on the intensity of the radiation in one localized area of contamination? It's not an area where anyone would be at this point, and says utterly nothing about the total amount of radioactive material being released.

·
AMD fan
1,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

What more do you want? A military invasion?
yes
if it cleans up the problem and their act.

·
Rabies is my business
4,406 Posts
I can undertand why they wouldn't want any US help. Hell, our government cannot even fix a broken website.

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
wow, just had a strange nostalgia blip

if the Radiation leaks really bad and the reactors explode somehow then the nevda desert could become the set of one of my favourite old games

~~~~~

Jokes aside im done with any radiation / nuclear thread. I don't claim to know anywhere near as much as some but any slight mention of scepticism about nuclear energy is met with a furious barrage of childish responses from those so called superior minds
rolleyes.gif

The fact is no matter how safe we try make nuclear and how clean the propaganda merchants will have you believe there is always going to be mega tonnes of toxic waste buried under the ground in lead vaults for hundreds of years, hiding the problem.

So If we deal with the waste effectively and promote impeccable safety standards even beyond the extreme, including the foresight to build for events such as a meteor that could hit a localised piece of ocean and create a wave to topple anything but the most ludicrous barriers then it becomes viable AND for as long as the country in question that uses them are economically stable, non corrupting and can manage the excellence required without falling out of step or hiding the failings for .. thousands of years on each one in every location ... then they are truly safe

which is an impossibility. Which is why until we come up with a better way I will always be opposed to it.

The Earth captures insane amounts of energy from the Sun
The Oceans provide tidal forces from gravitational pull that produce insane amount's of potential energy
The Earth core is molten hot lava gravitationally fixed in a position flowing richly beneath the earth, there must also be ways to harness heat/steam/generators here too.

6a00d8341bf67c53ef014e869ff235970d-800wi.jpg

We are surrounded by potential options that one day will provide clean energy that will last for as long as the human race exists on earth before we migrate to other planets. Nuclear is a short term patch to cover our lack of invention and the truth that were still the same hateful species who can't work together globally to create amazing things without getting entrenched in politics, corporate greed and lies

·
News Junkie
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk16 View Post

yes
if it cleans up the problem and their act.
Might work. China would actually lend you the money for THAT.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
1,688 Posts
I knew their situation was really bad, but wow
eek.gif

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.