Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To any of you that have mounted case or CPU fans to GPU heatsinks I want to know is it okay to do it with zip-ties cause I fear they'll melt on me.

I've come across these Arctic passive coolers, the Accelero S1 plus and S3 plus. The manufacturer also separately offers "turbo modules" which are basically 105mm fans made to be easily mounted on those heatsinks using RUBBER mounts.

I wanna know if these are okay if I were to put my own fan there instead. And also some suggestions for alternatives! Thanks.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Melt? No they're fine to use.
The lowest melting point of common plastics is about 120c but zip ties are nylon which melts at 220c. There is nothing in your entire PC that will ever be hot enough to melt the vast majority of plastics, let alone nylon.
I had a Dell which had your typical aluminum fin heat sink which stood vertically with a shroud thing that funneled air from the rear mounted fan through the cooler and also held down the cooler. I put in a standard PSU and a 750TI, the problem was that the vertical heat sink blocked the GPU and I couldn't mount it without having it turned that way because the shroud which fit around the CPU was also what held the cooler in place. The solution?
Luckily there were 4 holes around the CPU so I drilled through them and out the side of the case so I could zip tie the cooler in place. Worked perfectly, that was my first gaming rig. :D
The only way anything in a PC could melt plastic is either a defect, short, too much current, a poor connection causing high resistance or if it's on fire lol.

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,708 Posts
Yeap.. if you don't mind seeing, or knowing, you've got zip-ties instead of a base and screws, you're fine; nothing will happen to them.

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
I use zipties to attach fans on all my Arctic Cooling units. No problem. Just keep in mind that if you attach some heavy fans they will drag your card down a bit.
The AC units I have used (Accelero Twin Turbo) have grooves that run along the sides of the fin array where the fan shroud clips on. Those grooves can be used in combination with fan wire clips. If you have some extra from a CPU cooler you can use those.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Will zip-tie mounts for high-power fans ever experience any stretching? I've noticed w/the fans I've zip-tied on the stock heatsink of the Gigabyte 1080Ti Gaming OC that the zipties seem to loosen up over time.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Crappy zip ties loosen if there's too much tension on them. They don't stretch, the clasp just slips.
Powerful fans will shake a zip tie to pieces, fans ment for cases and coolers would be fine as long as you use the strong ones.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I use zipties to attach fans on all my Arctic Cooling units. No problem. Just keep in mind that if you attach some heavy fans they will drag your card down a bit.
The AC units I have used (Accelero Twin Turbo) have grooves that run along the sides of the fin array where the fan shroud clips on. Those grooves can be used in combination with fan wire clips. If you have some extra from a CPU cooler you can use those.
Thanks for that tip, I'm going to be employing an Arctic Accelero Xtreme III soon and since I'm going to be inevitably be employing higher power fans I'll try your attachment method out.

·
PC Enthusiast
1,075 Posts
I had two 120mm fans zip tied to my accelero s1 back in the day.. on a Radeon HD4870 512MB launch card. Didn't even have to remove the red plate that cooled the ram and vrms. I think I still have that cooler in a box somewhere actually. I did get the addon turbo fan module thing they sell for it, they are so tiny and definitely not worth it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts