Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is an oversize example of a ziptie screw:
Save all the zipties you clip. Pull the tongue out through the buckle. Now you have some spare buckles. The shaft of a ziptie runs straight through a fan or a fan+shroud, through your heatsink, and out the other side, where it meets one of your spare buckles. Now you can mount most fans to essentially any heatsink. A ziptie screw in action. A really classic use of ziptie screws:
Many thanks to Dirtyworks from this thread. Then go to this thread to really see zipties at work! And here:
Pic posted by ffejrxx. And flexible, too:
Posted by johny24 here.       Posted by reisya at post #57, this thread.   ------------------------------------------------------------------------   Here I needed to put a prototype 120x15mm Cooler Master fan on my Megahalems.   (A poem) None of my clips would do. I had to use a ziptie screw.        

Attachments

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
done it before
works great, i should have posted this... it was a light bulb moment for me(doesnt happen too often) so i was very excited about this when i first did it

·
Loosing Vision
1,894 Posts
IT's... It's... Educational!

·
Premium Member
18,219 Posts
Lol i been doing this for years my other pc has a ziptie hardrive cage i couldnt mount the orginal cages cause of the 2 fans i put in the front so i used zip ties and kinda made it float at the bottom of the case.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GRPace View Post
This works great on heatsinks but watch out for vibrations if you try doing this on a a case. My friend has one of these on his case and it vibrates.
tip.... get bit of foam... or rubber lol...just a little bit... n put inbetween it ( put hole thru it for ziptie to go thru... )

or what i did..... bluetac
:

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ehume View Post
I wonder how long people have been doing this?
No idea... I was just wondering the other day where the heck you could buy screws long enough to attach 3 or more fans on a cooler. wonder how long it will take for some company to make a tweaked version and sell them for this exact purpose

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by emc_2 View Post
No idea... I was just wondering the other day where the heck you could buy screws long enough to attach 3 or more fans on a cooler. wonder how long it will take for some company to make a tweaked version and sell them for this exact purpose

You best patent "Zip Tips" right now.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Do ziptie screws work on heatsinks that can hold three fans? I don't want to resort to buying another pair of fan clips for a third fan on some heatsinks.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rpgman1 View Post
Do ziptie screws work on heatsinks that can hold three fans? I don't want to resort to buying another pair of fan clips for a third fan on some heatsinks.
Something like this seems like it would work. I have so many zipties I could play around with these all day

LL

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rpgman1
View Post

Really now. A set of Megahalems clips that work fine on the D14 will cost you $4, shipped.

Look at item 4. in my sig.

·
I Am Gooble Gobble
6,669 Posts
if only i could utilize this to tie a fan + shroud to a rad...

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I have a video on this too

1 - 20 of 79 Posts