Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello OCN,

I received my Zowie AM today, and all I can say is that I'm not happy...

First, when I touched the left- and rightclick, I felt two "holes" on each button.

Second, the scroll wheel. Now, I've packed the mouse away, but I did record a video of the noisy wheel right before I slapped it. LOL

The "holes" I'm referring to

The noisy scroll wheel

People in the Zowie FK thread are telling me that the scroll wheel is normal, but nothing yet about the weird ass left- and rightclick.

Did I get a normal AM or is it RMA-time?
mad.gif

--

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
That doesn't seem normal at all. Just bizarre. For both the indentations as well as the scroll wheel, the sound clearly changes for seemingly no good reason.

I'd request an RMA and push for it. Though if all else fails, just return for a replacement from the location of purchase. Both Newegg and Amazon iirc have a return policy if the product is effective withing the first X-days
smile.gif

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkypoo7 View Post

That doesn't seem normal at all. Just bizarre. For both the indentations as well as the scroll wheel, the sound clearly changes for seemingly no good reason.

I'd request an RMA and push for it. Though if all else fails, just return for a replacement from the location of purchase. Both Newegg and Amazon iirc have a return policy if the product is effective withing the first X-days
smile.gif
Thanks, man.

You're right, I was actually thinking about replacement, not RMA. LOL But, yeah... especially the scrolling sound. It's killing me. Louder than my Cherry MX blues.

·
Registered
315 Posts
i do have a AM and a AM-FG.
both have a wobble scroll wheel and both have the noisy wheel you have.
i don't think you'll find one, which doesn't do that.
the EC series of ZOWIE do have same noisy and wobble wheels.
get used to it or go for another brand.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsteNN View Post

i do have a AM and a AM-FG.
both have a wobble scroll wheel and both have the noisy wheel you have.
i don't think you'll find one, which doesn't do that.
the EC series of ZOWIE do have same noisy and wobble wheels.
get used to it or go for another brand.
Alright, we'll see... I think you're right. Might get a refund and then try the FK out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The FK will have a noisy scroll wheel as well. I got no problem with mine if I scroll normal.
If I scroll fast than it makes the noise but it doesn't bother me as much. My keyboard makes way more noise
tongue.gif
(cherry mx browns)

Those holes seem like faults with the coating though mine is smooth. Would get a replacement for that.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
The scroll wheel is that way because it uses a clip, with a bearing, with two springs, that ride 16 indents.

The faster you scroll the louder it can become or if you do not use any pressure on the wheel when doing so.

The springs vary in pressure due to the nature of manufacturing. Since there are two springs your up and down scrolling can feel slightly different. I think the lighter springs give less feedback and cause more accidental scrolling.

The scroll wheel is louder based on lift from what I can tell. I think that is simply because of the design of the mold. It would be better if it was like an Intellimouse for the left side of the shaft and like the DeathAdder for the right side.

To put it short. That is "normal" for Zowie mice and is a huge functional problem for the EC.

You could open it to see if adding more lubrication and making sure the piece is on right makes it better.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The sucky wheel is "normal", but the holes definitely are not. RMA necessary. I think it is best to see if the FK satisfies you, but I can't tell as I have no experience with the FK. I believe that it should be a better mouse overall though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys,

Thank you all for answering my question. I'm going to ask the store for an exchange to the Zowie FK.

I hope the FK won't disappoint me, but I don't really think so...
thumb.gif

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Well it is pretty much the same other than the switches. Well... and the mold.

If I was buying a Zowie for the first time I would get the FK over the AM, the AM over the EC, considering my grip style.

I just don't like the lighter switches of the FK so I would change them to something stiffer. Anyone know of some stiffer (tactile) Omrons with a super awesome reset?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by popups View Post

Well it is pretty much the same other than the switches.
I really love the switches that the AM uses - what's the difference between the switches @ AM and FK?

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TlMOTHY View Post

I really love the switches that the AM uses - what's the difference between the switches @ AM and FK?
They are said to be lighter. In the white AM the right switch (mouse 2) is lighter. I don't know about the older black versions.

I don't like the lighter Huano switches because they do not feel as satisfying or have the great reset. I rather have Omrons instead if I cannot have the stiffer Huanos. Like the Diamondback with their Omrons in front of the scroll wheel -- I think those are Omrons.

I want a switch that is easy to actuate, like Omrons, but has a very quick (distinct) reset, with very little travel to the contact.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

They are said to be lighter. In the white AM the right switch (mouse 2) is lighter. I don't know about the older black versions.

I don't like the lighter Huano switches because they do not feel as satisfying or have the great reset. I rather have Omrons instead if I cannot have the stiffer Huanos. Like the Diamondback with their Omrons in front of the scroll wheel -- I think those are Omrons.
Thanks, man. And good lucky with finding the perfect switch for you!
wink.gif

--

Timothy

·
Registered
315 Posts
Quote:

I want a switch that is easy to actuate, like Omrons, but has a very quick (distinct) reset, with very little travel to the contact.
can't confirm. on my rubberized AM they are equaly hard to activate with a different sound.
and on my AM-FG the left button is easier to click. seems some variation in there too, from mouse to mouse.

·
Registered
297 Posts
It is hard to tell by the video exactly how loud the scroll wheel is. Alll I can say is that the type of sound it makes is normal, and mine makes it as well. Did not really think twice about it, or see it as a negative. Quickly checking some other mice that I own, I see that this kind of sound is fairly common in these sort of weighted scroll wheels. If that kind of thing annoys you, I would suggest just looking for a different optical mouse with the same form factor.

Those " holes" or " dents" on your LMB and RMB are definitely not normal. If they are noticable I would RMA, even if the mouse is otherwise fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The "holes" from what I can see could be caused by sinks or warps that happened during tooling. If you're unlucky they will still be there after RMA as those problems are usually fixed by modifying the tooling or injection parameters and could be on a full batch of the mouse.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Once again, thank you all for answering me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_R View Post

The "holes" from what I can see could be caused by sinks or warps that happened during tooling. If you're unlucky they will still be there after RMA as those problems are usually fixed by modifying the tooling or injection parameters and could be on a full batch of the mouse.
I'm not going to RMA the mouse. "WEBdanes.dk" is offering me a refund, replacement or an exchange to the FK.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TlMOTHY View Post

Once again, thank you all for answering me.
I'm not going to RMA the mouse. "WEBdanes.dk" is offering me a refund, replacement or an exchange to the FK.
I'd take the FK.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts