Overclock.net banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Invalid Media
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
...picked up a slightly-used Philips 40 Inch 4K Monitor BDM4065UC for the Orca project. I am using this both for productivity and some gaming, and with DisplayPort, it does 4K at up to 75 Hz. At the equivalent of about US$ 360 including DisplayPort cable, this was hard to pass up.

...attached is a quick 'Crytek Neon Noir' ray-tracing demo bench on 4K ultra with early attempts at SLI/NVLink via AFR mode. I am really looking forward to try out the Multi-GPU Checkerboard Rendering (CFR) soon on various 4K apps and games that was added recently (more or less silently) by NVidia :)

Attachments

·
Invalid Media
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
It is coming up on a year since the first test loop for this build was put together, and I was getting ready for some maintenance for both the CPU loop and GPU loop. But no appreciable loss of fluids in either loop, nor ANY particles floating about in the reservoirs. No increase in temps (at a given ambient) either for the same benches for CPU and/or GPUs. From what I can see of the GPU heat-fins inside (via clear acrylic block sections), no deposits. So far, so good...

I am using a 50/50 mix of distilled water and Thermaltake Coolant 1000 blue in both loops.

Attachments

·
Invalid Media
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Spending a lot of time at home these days, like many of you... :eek:

...recently got Unigine Superposition 8K working with NVLink for dual 2080 Tis. Overall, the dual loop / 4x D5 pumps still performing w/o any appreciable loss of temps or liquids after well over a year

...took the TT Core P5 glass cover off to allow for some some surface cleaning, even if it was not really dusty

...going back to 64 GB from 32 GB to fine-tune timings for 8 sticks - that is sure to take up some time stuck at home :)

Attachments

·
Invalid Media
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
...getting itchy to build something - anything - as the build log project is fine-tuned and cleaned. 'Beer' virus :sozo: related stay-at-home mode is somewhat annoying, if necessary...

Rummaging around boxes of old parts and builds, like my early fav, a 5GHz 3770K on Asus Maximus 5 Extreme from 2012 - perhaps with some 780 Ti Classified in SLI :p

Attachments

·
Invalid Media
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
...Switched out the wifi Logitech Extreme 3D Pro for the same model, but with USB. The old wifi one will migrate to a 1080p 'nostalgia build' project...

...love the updated RTX graphics in Quake II v1.3 - NVLink @ 4K below :)

...some early morning 'Valley' 4K run, coz it is Friday with a dash of 'beer virus' social distancing outside

Attachments

·
Invalid Media
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
...some Unigine Heaven 4 / 4K, Superposition power consumption figures, plus some more maintenance...

Also, the system currently has 9x GentleTyhoon 120mm 3k rpm fans (as well as Corsair MLs and Noctuas). I stll have 3x extra GentleThyoons and am wondering if I should incorporate them instead of Corsair ML 120s... :headscrat

Attachments

·
Invalid Media
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
A dreary, coldish and rainy Saturday, with my fav restaurants still closed due to the 'bug'....but an ideal time for more cleaning and some maintenance :(

...back to 64 GB for some workstation tasks

...some updated Port Royal and DLSS feature tests

Attachments

·
Invalid Media
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
...finally had a bit of time to:

a.) do some retro builds referenced above...fixed bent pins from yesteryear for a 5960X . 4.5 GHz (Asus Rampage V Ectreme) and put together a 4960X / 4.7 GHz (Asus X79-E WS)
b.) after all that retro, got back to the 2950X and do a quick RAM speed comparison via Aida64 for 3466, 3533 and 3600...

..the 5960X / Rampage V EX combo was used years ago by me for LN2 etc...ended up with some bent pins and 3 of 4 memory channels broken as a result...finally got around to fixing all that and also cleaning it up a bit...still needs some case and RGB ''mods''

..the 4960X is an ES chip and runs great with low vCore even at over 4.7 GHz...had an old, hardly used 'CM Stryker' Case for it...it will be part 1080P retro gamer, part NUC

After all that retro fixing and building, back to my main 4K machine :)

...the 2950X has a very good IMC as well, and it can run higher than Quad-Channel 3466, but at the end of the day, the trade-off between looser timings and slightly higher bandwidth isn't worth it...

·
Invalid Media
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Here is 'Porpoise', a colour-matched 'retro build' for the Orca system:

- colour-modded a Gigabyte Z170 SOC Force

- 6700K ES @ 4.8 GHz, and 16GB of DDR4 4000.

- CPU cooling is by a rebuild, refilled and modded TT 240mm AIO (different, all-metal mounting mechanism; 2x Noctua 120mm fans)

- GPUs are 2x EVGA 780 Ti Classified.

- Bauhaus style modded open frame arrangement

lowerrightfullOrcUUUf.jpg

Aio_cap_octouchUU.jpg
fronttop1buuu.jpg
lowerrightfullOrc2u.jpg
PumpBaffle1uuu.jpg
Aio_classies2uuu.jpg

Attachments

·
486DX2 66
3,685 Posts
Porpoise is beautiful. Excellent job well done.

I must say I'm pretty fond of the 5960x setup.. I had my 4790k in the same case with a single radeon 280x back in late 2014.

Rampage V + 5960x + 2X 980 Classifieds .. That would have been insane in 2014 (Though I think you snuck that motherboard back from 2015 :p)

·
Invalid Media
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Porpoise is beautiful. Excellent job well done.

I must say I'm pretty fond of the 5960x setup.. I had my 4790k in the same case with a single radeon 280x back in late 2014.

Rampage V + 5960x + 2X 980 Classifieds .. That would have been insane in 2014 (Though I think you snuck that motherboard back from 2015 :p)

Thanks @Dhoulmagus :) - The Threadripper is my 4K setup (along w/ the 4960X / Stryker / 2x 980 Cl as secondary) while the 5960X is the 1080P daily driver in another work area...the little Porpoise drives the bedroom IPS panel, YouTube etc...

The 5960X has less of a RGB issue now (compared to above) ;)

Attachments

·
486DX2 66
3,685 Posts
Is 4960x a typo or did you build more rigs than I'm aware of :p

ahh man you have some nice rigs. I like how your picture caught the fan blades and the blur hehe

ban

·
Invalid Media
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Is 4960x a typo or did you build more rigs than I'm aware of :p

ahh man you have some nice rigs. I like how your picture caught the fan blades and the blur hehe

ban

...I am involved in computer-related businesses, so lot's of hardware of various vintages around ...yes, 4960X, per above, in 'new old stock' Stryker case . That's probably the last traditional-case build for a while...per Orca and Porpoise projects, I'm more and more focusing on open builds (which has both advantages and disadvantages).

Attachments

·
Invalid Media
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
After all those retro builds, finally back to my main 4Ksystem, now with Microsoft's Flight Simulator 2020 installed :cheers: :thumb:
The custom loop for the 2x 2080 Tis is paying off handsomely - especially as I got NVlink-SLI-CFR mode working...even with 4K / ultra settings / high density objects, I get between 45 and 65 FPS (and with CFR, no micro-stutter :) )

·
Invalid Media
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
...it's been a while since my last post here - I have been enjoying FlightSimulator 2020 tremendously almost every day; but it's time to add Cyberpunk 2077 to the fun folder mix (downloading now...). :D

In preparation, I ran a few more Port Royal (single and dual 2080 Ti w-cooled) for RTX and DLSS . Unlike w/ FlightSimulator 2020, I may not get NVlink / SLI / CFR going with Cyberpunk, but even a well-tuned, w-cooled 2080 Ti should be (relatively speaking) decent in Cyberpunk 2077...

PortRoyalSinglesiz10728_dual21060.jpg

41 - 55 of 55 Posts